Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Cashel petrol rip off prices

Options
  • 27-06-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭

Saturday

Petrol, Tesco Cashel 163.9/9

Up the road in Daly's Johnstown 154.9/l

Thats around 30c a gallon more expensive, Tesco used to be reasonable for petrol a few years back, no more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Tesco Clonmel dropped 4cent a litre overnight so i would imagine the rest of the stores will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I remember the days when Tesco used to the cheapest of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FullBeard

The M8 Junction 8 Topaz is a rip off, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

yeah but not many places you can get a big mac on the motorway while you fill up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Tesco in england is the cheapest of the lot for petrol with more of if you have a receipt for their shopping,seems when they reach these shores they suck you in for a while then stick the Paddy tax on,same with their mobile phone credit,they double your credit here but treble it in england,asked their rep on boards about this,no reply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

tipptom wrote: »
    Tesco in england is the cheapest of the lot for petrol with more of if you have a receipt for their shopping,seems when they reach these shores they suck you in for a while then stick the Paddy tax on,same with their mobile phone credit,they double your credit here but treble it in england,asked their rep on boards about this,no reply.

With regards the phone credit, the mobile phone market is much more competitive in England than it is in Ireland that's why they wouldn't need as strong as an offer like the UK's one over here to lure people over to their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

tippspur wrote: »
    I remember the days when Tesco used to the cheapest of all.

Were they ever the cheapest?
    When they opened in Clonmel they were always compeditive, then Applegreen nearly always cheaper.

Same when they opened in Ardkeen - compeditive but not necessarily the cheapest.

I never remember them being exceptionally cheap in Cashel, even when they opened, stations in up the road in urlingford and down in clonmel always cheaper. (up to about 3 years ago stations in thurles used to be cheap enough but not anymore.)

Perhaps in Cashel they feel its the local market which doesnt have huge competition so no need to be overly cheap - where as the stations in urlingford traditionally chased the commuter market.

Anyways, point I wanted to make was to encourage people who are in the area/live there to update www.pumps.ie with these prices
    1. Helps us all see the best value
    2. Loss of trade might force more compeditive pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dj320

frankz wrote: »
    Were they ever the cheapest?
    When they opened in Clonmel they were always compeditive, then Applegreen nearly always cheaper.

Same when they opened in Ardkeen - compeditive but not necessarily the cheapest.

I never remember them being exceptionally cheap in Cashel, even when they opened, stations in up the road in urlingford and down in clonmel always cheaper. (up to about 3 years ago stations in thurles used to be cheap enough but not anymore.)

Perhaps in Cashel they feel its the local market which doesnt have huge competition so no need to be overly cheap - where as the stations in urlingford traditionally chased the commuter market.

Anyways, point I wanted to make was to encourage people who are in the area/live there to update www.pumps.ie with these prices
    1. Helps us all see the best value
    2. Loss of trade might force more compeditive pricing

Afraid not frankz, the reason being stations have it cut so tight that there is no more room to cut hence tesco being the same on price, quite simple , there is only so low you can go before you start to lose money and even tesco have found this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Dj320 wrote: »
    Afraid not frankz, the reason being stations have it cut so tight that there is no more room to cut hence tesco being the same on price, quite simple , there is only so low you can go before you start to lose money and even tesco have found this out.

Ah ya it has been well thrashed out that the margins in fuel can be low at times.
    And a simple fundamental of business that if you sell too low then you lose money (loss leaders in multiples excepted) - doubt tesco just found that out when they entered the Irish fuel market to be fair.

That wasnt the point of my mail at all,
    Fuel is still expensive in Tipp compared to lots of other area, Tralee, Rathkeale, Michelstown all low 1.40's (some droped to high 1.30s) for Diesel today, will be in Urlingford tomorow and would expect same, was in Birr Monday and Tuesday and same story.
    Cashel & Thurles still hovering round 1.50 mark

Just thought that recomending that people update pumps.ie might help people in Tipp get the best value either local if not travelling or further afield if travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

The Ambers in Thurles and tipp town used to be good value now they are the same as the rest.The diesal station on the Limerick road outside Tipp town is very cheap for their diesal but only deal in cash.Would not use them for this reason even their petrol which is quite cheap.That aside I saw on a programme the other night about places that sell washed diesal that even their petrol is not safe,something about stretching it,they seemed very vague about it and just threw it in right at the end of the programme.Its only when you hit Birr and the likes of these places that you really see how much cheaper fuel is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

i think the most exp diesel/petrol in cashel area is the topaz station just off the m8 motorway.
    i personally wouldnt buy diesel from tesco as it lasts no length.
    despite esso/topaz and the major stations being a little more exp, their fuels seem to be of better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

tipptom wrote: »
    The Ambers in Thurles and tipp town used to be good value now they are the same as the rest.The diesal station on the Limerick road outside Tipp town is very cheap for their diesal but only deal in cash.Would not use them for this reason even their petrol which is quite cheap.That aside I saw on a programme the other night about places that sell washed diesal that even their petrol is not safe,something about stretching it,they seemed very vague about it and just threw it in right at the end of the programme.Its only when you hit Birr and the likes of these places that you really see how much cheaper fuel is.

I was a bit concerened about the place on the limerick road too but a few lads i know running vans and trucks on the diesel and no problems i have been running the car on there petrol for ages now no problems at all getting good milage too I think amber is the worst for milage never lasts as long as other brands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The fuel prices didn't stay down for long,seem to be rising again everywhere.

Advertisement