Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frustratingly annoying housemate

Options
  • 27-06-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I've been living in a house for about 18 months now, since Jan 2011, and at the moment living with one other girl, who moved in last September 2011. the landlord moved her in withoug me meeting her first, whihc i was a bit pissed off about but i got over it. We're not exactly super friendly with each other, we don't really have much to do with each other, which is fine, but recently there is a bit of a problem. there was no tv when i moved into the house, so i brought one with me. i didn't have a tv licence, which i know i should have, but I didn't get one. The in April this year, the inspector called, and my housemate answered the door to him, told him we didn't have a licence etc. she told me this, and then harassed me for about two months to get the licence sorted. I didn't see why i had to sort it, as she answered the door, but i sort out all the other bills and everything so i just went and got it sorted. then, two weeks ago, as soon as i had it sorted, she said she didn't watch the tv enough to have to pay the licence and is now refusing to pay it. I mentioned it to her again today, and she again refused, saying the she would happily get rid of the tv. I know she has watched the tv in the ten months that she has lived in the house, also she has used my DVD player and DVDs which are in the sitting room, which i had no problem with as i had left them in a common area, and i'm pretty easy going about stuff, which she obviously isn't. she also claimed she was doing all of the cleaning, which is an outright lie. there is only tow of us living there. I just think the tv licence is another household bill, that we both have to pay, or am I being unreasonable? BTW I was peerfectly happy avoiding paying the tv licence until we got caught with it! She has also turned off the main switch on the boiler, which controls our hot water, and so left me withough hot water for a couple of weekends. we just don't get on really!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Nivobivo wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I've been living in a house for about 18 months now, since Jan 2011, and at the moment living with one other girl, who moved in last September 2011. the landlord moved her in withoug me meeting her first, whihc i was a bit pissed off about but i got over it. We're not exactly super friendly with each other, we don't really have much to do with each other, which is fine, but recently there is a bit of a problem. there was no tv when i moved into the house, so i brought one with me. i didn't have a tv licence, which i know i should have, but I didn't get one. The in April this year, the inspector called, and my housemate answered the door to him, told him we didn't have a licence etc. she told me this, and then harassed me for about two months to get the licence sorted. I didn't see why i had to sort it, as she answered the door, but i sort out all the other bills and everything so i just went and got it sorted. then, two weeks ago, as soon as i had it sorted, she said she didn't watch the tv enough to have to pay the licence and is now refusing to pay it. I mentioned it to her again today, and she again refused, saying the she would happily get rid of the tv. I know she has watched the tv in the ten months that she has lived in the house, also she has used my DVD player and DVDs which are in the sitting room, which i had no problem with as i had left them in a common area, and i'm pretty easy going about stuff, which she obviously isn't. she also claimed she was doing all of the cleaning, which is an outright lie. there is only tow of us living there. I just think the tv licence is another household bill, that we both have to pay, or am I being unreasonable? BTW I was peerfectly happy avoiding paying the tv licence until we got caught with it! She has also turned off the main switch on the boiler, which controls our hot water, and so left me withough hot water for a couple of weekends. we just don't get on really!

Move out ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nivobivo

Helpful, but i don't really want to move out, I lived there first, and I really like the location and the house in general. So i don't think i should have to move really... Thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Nivobivo wrote: »
    Helpful, but i don't really want to move out, I lived there first, and I really like the location and the house in general. So i don't think i should have to move really... Thanks though!

Then ask her to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

put the tv in your bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

OP
    You don't come across as the reasonable one. Licence was always your responsibility and she didn't land you in it. She has stated she doesn't care about the tv. You own it and you decided to put it in a shared space.

Boiler switch is just a silly compliant.

Tell her never to watch the tv unless you are there. You can't ask her to leave the room if you watch. If she asks you to put in your room that is fair too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Idbatterim wrote: »
    put the tv in your bedroom?

Agreed. If she doesnt want to contribute towards it then she doesnt get to use it; simple as.

She sounds like a right plank to be honest. I know youre supposed to have a tv license and all that but seriously what kind of moron is she to land you in it like that? Im not entirely sure what I would do to sort the situation but I wouldnt be shy telling her what kind of an arsehole I think she is!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Keep the DVDs and the remote control in your room, since she's not using it...

Also, where is the boiler switch? Are you unable to reach it, or are you turning it on, but she then turns it off?

Ray Palmer wrote: »

Silly complaint how? :confused: That would do my head in if the person I live with kept turning off the hot water; especially if it was required for the showers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

What type of lease do you have and is it for the whole house or do you each have a lease for your own bedrooms. the use of shared facilities and you pay your rents separately to the landlord?

If it is the latter, the the landlord is entitled to have a lease with anyone he chooses without consulting any other tenant. He also has the right to enter any communal areas without notice. Furthermore, this type of arrangement is not registered with the PRTB.

As other posters have suggested, put the TV in your own room.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

djimi wrote: »

Silly complaint how? :confused: That would do my head in if the person I live with kept turning off the hot water; especially if it was required for the showers etc.
    He has claimed it left him without hot water over a couple of weekends. That is why it is silly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

He has claimed it left him without hot water over a couple of weekends. That is why it is silly.

I always switch the main boiler off in Summer until just before a shower/using hot water.

Unless the main switch is in your flatmate's bedroom I cannot see how she left you without hot water for a couple of weekends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

simple dont let her use the tv..avoid contact with her as much as possible so you dont have anymore friction,and have weekly house meetings and bring up the situation about the hot water,maybe you can come to an agreement to leave it on for 20 mins in the morning or sometime like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Plenty of advice above.

In relation to the cleaning, you just need to set out who does what. You do one week, she does the next..simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

If the housemate does not use the TV then she should not have to pay it but if she does - even just once in a while then she should pay her half of the license. Avoiding paying the tv license puts her at risk here along with you so you have no right to do that so either get a tv license or get rid of the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As already mentioned, if the flatmate did not ask you to bring a tv, and does not want a tv, then really why should she have to pay for one? If you wanted to get Sky put in should she have to pay for that also just because she lives there?

Its very possible that she does want the Tv and this is just an excuse, but there is nothing you can do about that. As it stands she doesn't owe you a penny for YOUR tv.

Call her bluff and take the Tv away from the common area. Or else suck it up and pay the license yourself.

Also, to the OP, paragraphs are there to help you. Don't be afraid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Do you have PAY TV (Sky/UPC) and does she pay for it?

I agree take the TV out of the living room. A bit of a pain if you have friends over but she has made her decision on the TV. If she gets a TV for the living room reminder her she owes you half the licence fee. If she says she only uses it for DVDs and Games tell her that it doesn't matter if you have a TV you must have a TV licence.

Paragraphs who needs them :)

Its worth bearing in mind actually that the law states that every household that owns a TV must have a license; not every person who owns a TV. Technically as she lives in a household that own a TV she is jointly responsible for paying for it.

Also, does she have anything else capable of receiving a TV signal such as a computer monitor with SCART/HDMI input or a TV tuner inbuilt? If she does then she is also liable for the TV license, even if she doesnt use the equipment to pick up a TV signal.

Also, does she have anything else capable of receiving a TV signal such as a computer monitor with SCART/HDMI input or a TV tuner inbuilt? If she does then she is also liable for the TV license, even if she doesnt use the equipment to pick up a TV signal.

Only equipment with a built in TV tuner is considered a "TV" this includes any recording devices. You currently do not need a TV licence for a monitor that lacks a TV tuner, even if they have SCART or HDMI inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There surely has to be an openness over shared facilities that is lacking here. Else, as here, what may seem, but is not, trivial to others becomes a huge issue.

Wondering why she pestered you re the licence too, and yes, simply remove it from shared areas.

The hot water issue would drive most folk crazy too. Presumably to cut the power bill?

You need rules set down that both can live with. That both agree on also else it all becomes most un-home-like

A meeting re this may work. Depends on both sides coming with good will..

Elmo wrote: »
    Only equipment with a built in TV tuner is considered a "TV" this includes any recording devices. You currently do not need a TV licence for a monitor that lacks a TV tuner, even if they have SCART or HDMI inputs.

According to Citizens Advice:
    Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means) must have a television licence.

I could be wrong and havent read the actual statute book interpretation of the law, but as far as Im aware its any device which is capable of receiving and broadcasting a television signal. Im quite happy to be proven wrong about that though!

• Advertisement

According to Citizens Advice:

I could be wrong and havent read the actual statute book interpretation of the law, but as far as Im aware its any device which is capable of receiving and broadcasting a television signal. Im quite happy to be proven wrong about that though!

There is a thread in broadcasting about this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794011&page=22

equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other) i.e. VCRs (built in tuner), STBs (built in tuner), Digital Video Recorders (built in tuner) etc etc. Monitors have no way of connecting to a TV signal unless connected to such a device.

Advertisement