Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bales on their end or the round?

• 27-06-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Wel lads

What way do you store your silage bales? Do you tip or leave them on the round?

This is my first year in a good few years making all baled silage. I tipped them.

I see alot of lads on here don't bother.

Does it make much difference either way?
    What are your reasons for stacking your bales the way you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »
    Wel lads

This is my first year in a good few years making all baled silage. I tipped them.

i leave them flat and stack, mostly 3 high, i would prefer to leave it at 2 high but shortage of space means alot of them have to go 3 up. The trouble with 3 high is that if the bales arent very dry which they werent this year they tend to flatten but sure what can you do when it rains every 2nd day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I leave them on the flat. I used to put them on end but see no reason to. It is very convienient n winter time when backing n. I have no front loader.

Wel lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i always tip. currently all mine have there ends on the ground.

if you go the 2nd row you put them on the round.

Reason, the plastic stays tighter when "tipped" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Wel lads

Tip them.

If you leave them on the flat and they go out of shape, the movement will loosen the wrap and allow air pockets which makes for poorer preservation. Tip them on their ends and if they are going to go out of shape it will be in the middle. This will just tighten the wrap IYKWIM??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

on the flat and piled 2/3 high but each to their own I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Can I just throw this out there....

if you don't tip, how can you be certain that you haven't put pin holes or small rips in the bales when bringing them in?

Perhaps it could be argued that they seal against themselves when they are stacked..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

"Perhaps it could be argued that they seal against themselves when they are stacked.."

that's my arguement anyway, pissing about with tape is a disaster, when they are well piled you should get a good seal between bales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I tip them up so that the flat side is on the ground. Far less pinholes from the birds and small animals. Less likley to go out of shape too, especially if silage is very wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

We always leave lying not tipped so the water can drain away. When we left standing on flat side we found the water didnt drain away because there is much more plastic on the flat ends than the side.
    If there made well they should'nt sag too much and any of ours that did sag kept the silage perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

for those of you worried about birds do you net your stack?
    I bought a net last year for 65e

• Advertisement

Finno59 wrote: »
    We always leave lying not tipped so the water can drain away. When we left standing on flat side we found the water didnt drain away because there is much more plastic on the flat ends than the side.
    If there made well they should'nt sag too much and any of ours that did sag kept the silage perfect.

I remember a few years ago when bales were being marketed as the ideal solution to pollution problems - claims were made that the effluent stayed within the bale wrap ;)

I wonder if the wrap allows water to escape, is the water displaced by air?? :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

We always tip them, find that they keep better.
    Bit of a pain tiping them back again to feed though. :rolleyes:

Also last year we tried stacking them without the bales touching each other. We had heard that you'll get a mouldy patch where the bales are touching, the results were better but I'm not convinced its necessary. Needs a lot of extra space though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 oj9

i leave them flat and stack, mostly 3 high, i would prefer to leave it at 2 high but shortage of space means alot of them have to go 3 up. The trouble with 3 high is that if the bales arent very dry which they werent this year they tend to flatten but sure what can you do when it rains every 2nd day.
    I wouldnt be stacking bales three high without effluent storage as it a penalty if you have an inspection and my planner also says they are only to be stacked in farmyard as the council wants to clamp down on pollution and mud on the road in winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I checked my bales this evening. The are on the flat. they were cut and baled on one day 2 -3 weeks ago. There is effluant on the ground beside some of them. Should i b worried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

If the effluent can soak in to the ground without running off to a watercourse there should be no problem, the amount of effluent in a bale is quite small.
    One think a Teagasc guy said to me was not to go concreting yards leave them gravelled as the ground would absorb small amounts of oil or effluent.

restive wrote: »
    I checked my bales this evening. The are on the flat. they were cut and baled on one day 2 -3 weeks ago. There is effluant on the ground beside some of them. Should i b worried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

we have them on the round end, contractor uses a tanco warpper on the loader so they cant really be tipped. did think of turning them but would only make sense with a change to wrapper

reilig wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago when bales were being marketed as the ideal solution to pollution problems - claims were made that the effluent stayed within the bale wrap ;)

I wonder if the wrap allows water to escape, is the water displaced by air?? :):)
    o ya the water escapes alright on the side, made a few bales last week (not a good baler) that got a shower or rain. water was flowing from them for 2-3 days 2 days later. The day after that a white yellowish foam came out that must be the effluent.
    Even tho they've sagged the plastic is still tight all around the bale, for now anyway.
    Would like to hear for sure if the air displaces the water too.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Used to tip them up, but it's a nuisance having to tip them back for feeding. Now always lay flat, 2 rows high. If baled dry, rarely sag.

Also last year we tried stacking them without the bales touching each other. We had heard that you'll get a mouldy patch where the bales are touching, the results were better but I'm not convinced its necessary. Needs a lot of extra space though.

Yes we prefer not to have them 'kissing' either. Less place for water to lodge and cause mould. Makes sense

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Used to tip them up, but it's a nuisance having to tip them back for feeding.

Why do you have to tip them back? Leave them as they are, drivee in with the spike. It's easier unravel them and feed them out when the flat side is on the ground IMO anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

reilig wrote: »

water doesnt escape the wrap. even under pressure at the bottom of the stack, they shouldn't leak unless there is a hole

The water does escape when a bale is lying on its side, whatever about the flat.
    Im nearly sure it comes out in between the layers. For our bales anyway it does but this may be because there isnt enough layers of plastic on the bales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭BalingMad

i never stack them on there ends, only in field if have cant be drawn till next day (plastic much thicker on end and crows cant make a hole) but in the stack i stack them on the round to ensure that if their is any
    pin hole in the plastic that it has a better chance of sealing against next bale.

water doesnt escape the wrap. even under pressure at the bottom of the stack, they shouldn't leak unless there is a hole

That's not what Finno59 says:
    Originally Posted by Finno59

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Why do you have to tip them back? Leave them as they are, drivee in with the spike. It's easier unravel them and feed them out when the flat side is on the ground IMO anyway....

True...and then I tip them back on end in the round feeder. You may be on to something there, Muckit...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Finno59 wrote: »
    o ya the water escapes alright on the side, made a few bales last week (not a good baler) that got a shower or rain. water was flowing from them for 2-3 days 2 days later. The day after that a white yellowish foam came out that must be the effluent.
    Even tho they've sagged the plastic is still tight all around the bale, for now anyway.
    Would like to hear for sure if the air displaces the water too.

Relig what finno is on about is the water that collects on a bale from rain not the effluent inside. In bales only a small amount of effluent will escape even when double stacked.

the big question is which is better stacking on end or on the flat. I prefer to lay or stack on the flat. I did stack on end one year and found that while the bales looked better if a pin hole came in bale that becauce the water could hold on the end that a lot of mould came in the bales even ones that were not very dry as like a bale of hay that you left upright outside the water and air went right down through it. Now I lie on the flat and stack two high if a hole comes the top of the bale during the winter you will not lose the bale as only the top 1/2" will go bad. I keep an eye during the summer and tape any holes.

Relig what finno is on about is the water that collects on a bale from rain not the effluent inside. In bales only a small amount of effluent will escape even when double stacked.

Read his post again, he says that water escapes from between the layers of wrap. I think any water that escapes from inside wrap or silage cover is considered effluent.

ya reiligs right i'm sayin however the water comes out it does, water from the silage not rain from in between the plastic.

Heres a few pics of the effluent but before any of the coloured stuff came out at 5 days it was only water coming out til then. The first pic is one that sagged a bit and the 2 of the layers loosened slightly but the rest didnt.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/3315/20120629155027.jpg

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/2932/20120629155041.jpg
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2424/20120629154942.jpg

Wheather or not theres enough plastic on i don't know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

It depends on the silage whether they weep or not,wilted silage will hold its effluent whereas fresh silage will weep effluent.

this might be worth a look as well.They recommend tipping them onto the flat if you arent stacking them
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~progers/0silbale.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

It depends on the silage whether they weep or not,wilted silage will hold its effluent whereas fresh silage will weep effluent.

this might be worth a look as well.They recommend tipping them onto the flat if you arent stacking them
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~progers/0silbale.htm

do they?.......

Unwilted bales should be stored on the ground (on curved side or flat end) whereas successfully wilted bales can be stored 2 or 3 high (on curved side only) if suitable handling equipment is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tinman123

about here we store them on their ends, after all , thats where most of the plastic is.
    normally two high as tight as we can get them, no problems with musted spots, obviously you will get the odd one now and again, but most times its down to a tear or puncture not seen tbh.

ive stacked them on their sides one year but didnt like the results tbh.
    we find that stacking them 3 high is no problem on their ends, two high is more desirable if space allows.
    however, there are a lot of factors at play here before anyone could judge how someone else stacks theirs i guess.
    some might not have the way of handling stacked bales, fair enuf.
    others find it more awkward to lift them again, i dont find it a problem, just spike them and flip them when at the front of the shed.

the choice of wrap is essential to quality silage however, as is, the density of the bale and the DM of it.

i wrap all the bales here with 25 turns giving 6 layers, there is a world of difference in the end result imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cow man

restive wrote: »
    I leave them on the flat. I used to put them on end but see no reason to. It is very convienient n winter time when backing n. I have no front loader.
    I always tip mine on to their ends this way I can see if there is any damage to the plastic !!!

Advertisement