Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valve clearance inspection - when and why?

• 27-06-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have a Ninja 250R, 2010, with 12k miles on it. Manual says valve clearance should be checked every 6k miles. I bought it with 6k miles and I've never had them inspected...pretty sure the previous owner didn't either.

There's no tell tale signs that they're off...idle RPMs is fine and bike runs fine. No strange noises, altho somedays I hear a tiny tick, just once, each time I roll off and back on the throttle. Sounds like a little switch or something and it comes and goes. Doubt it's a valve...

I am not a particularly aggressive driver, and I never go near the red.

So what do people normally do in this situation? Bike is only worth 2500e or so and it'll be expensive to get these checked/adjusted, and it's not something I have the balls to do myself, yet.

I know having incorrectly adjusted valves can do damage to the engine, etc. But when does this actually become a realistic risk?

Should I wait another 6k miles or so, or do I risk screwing the engine up? What other tell tale signs are there that the valves are deffo off?

Also, any suggestions on where to get it done? (I'm based in Wicklow Town, Dublin is fine...)

Thanks for the help as always!

Regards,
    rat_race

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

crazy valve clearance check interval! you sure about that? they must be mega easy to check if so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Wossack wrote: »
    crazy valve clearance check interval! you sure about that? they must be mega easy to check if so

Sorry, it's actually every 7.5k miles, or 12k km! (just checked again)

so its probably overdue one alright Im afraid. More then likely its just a check needed and not an adjustment, but its a safe then sorry scenario there :)

unfortunately, while yes, the valves can get noisy when they're on the way out, they can remain quiet right up until they burn themselves.. :(

I'd give an independant garage a shout, and see what kind of hours they reckon the job should take. Cant make a recommendation, as theres no location listed :)

Note that they do need to be checked when the bike is cold though, so its usually a case of dropping the bike off in the evening, and collecting it the next day after the works carried out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Wossack wrote: »
    so its probably overdue one alright Im afraid. More then likely its just a check needed and not an adjustment, but its a safe then sorry scenario there :)

unfortunately, while yes, the valves can get noisy when they're on the way out, they can remain quiet right up until they burn themselves.. :(

I'd give an independant garage a shout, and see what kind of hours they reckon the job should take. Cant make a recommendation, as theres no location listed :)

Note that they do need to be checked when the bike is cold though, so its usually a case of dropping the bike off in the evening, and collecting it the next day after the works carried out

Thanks! Added my location to original post there...(Wicklow Town).

ah cant help bout guys in your locality Im afraid - hopefully there's someone about here that could?

• Advertisement
Advertisement