Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hanging surround sound speakers

• 27-06-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

greetings, i am in the middle of doing up the living room and was thinking of getting rid of the large floor pillar surround speakers and replacing them with a small wall mounted set. i am looking for the neatest possible way of doing this, i have the speaker cable running around the room neatly where the wall meets the floor, but what would anyone suggest is the best way of getting the cable from the floor to the speaker on the top corner of the wall. is there a simple and inexpensive way of putting the cable inside the wall without ruining it and if this is so, is there a socket or plug to put at the end of the hole for neatness, similar to the one on the back of speakers

cheers for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

I'L GET MY COAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭mountain

can you get wireless speakers?

at least i replied!!!! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 RonnieWhelan

lookitsme wrote: »
    greetings, i am in the middle of doing up the living room and was thinking of getting rid of the large floor pillar surround speakers and replacing them with a small wall mounted set. i am looking for the neatest possible way of doing this, i have the speaker cable running around the room neatly where the wall meets the floor, but what would anyone suggest is the best way of getting the cable from the floor to the speaker on the top corner of the wall. is there a simple and inexpensive way of putting the cable inside the wall without ruining it and if this is so, is there a socket or plug to put at the end of the hole for neatness, similar to the one on the back of speakers

cheers for any help

usually speaker cable is run behind the walls during the house build, but for retro fit what you could do is try and get a small PVC trim like a ) shape for the corners of the room and run the speaker cable behind it and paint over it, not ideal but if done properly and tidy would look fine. And run the speaker cable either under the skirting board or neatly on top of the skirting board, you have no other choice or else go wireless speakers if your system allows.

Something like this should do.
    http://www.amazon.com/Medium-Corner-Duct-Cable-Raceway/dp/B002DNVB9G

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

D-line Trunking.

http://www.d-line.co.uk/decorative-trunking.php

The last time I checked both Woodys and B&Q stocked this stuff in various sizes and colors. I went for the paintable version.

Wireless speakers are usually confined to rear speakers in a surround sound set as quality usually doesnt matter here.

You rarely, if ever, find them as the front left and right in any system as the quality drop is far too severe.

Of course they are never truly wireless anyway , as such units always need power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

You might be able to get a decorator in to do something like that. It's not cheap but it's the cleanest solution. We recently had a decorator in and while he was here he installed some plastic pipes in the wall behind the TV for cables so they could be hidden tidily. Another thing is that I wouldn't recommend putting the rear speakers up too high. Ideally, they should be at ear level when you're sitting down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement