Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody fishing the Moy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

hope to fish it tomorrow for the first time this year. icon10.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Lots of people fishing it in the last week or so, lots of poaching going on too sadly.
    cdublin wrote: »

^^ that spot in right in Foxford village, nice and central but thronged usually. You will find some decent spots as you move downriver - i can ask around if you'd like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I saw a fishing report that said there were 500 salmon caught on the Moy last week.

Surely these kind of catches cant be sustainable? :confused:

Dunno about 500 but there are a lot coming out right now - i have seen people carrying out bags of fish :p

Dunno about 500 but there are a lot coming out right now - i have seen people carrying out bags of fish :p

It was on the Inland fisheries ireland website so must be someway accurate. I've never fished the Moy but it sounds like someone took a river out of Alaska and planked in in the middle of the west of ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

The river is fishing pretty ok at the moment despite the water levels rising and dropping every few days. There is still a number of springers still been caught with sealice on them while the grillse have started to run in the last few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

SeaFields wrote: »
    It was on the Inland fisheries ireland website so must be someway accurate. I've never fished the Moy but it sounds like someone took a river out of Alaska and planked in in the middle of the west of ireland!
    I saw a fishing report that said there were 500 salmon caught on the Moy last week.

Dont mind those reports they are fantasy..........I spent two days on it recently and its fishing ok, not as 'great' as the reports say.

BEWARE OF THE REPORTS. Believe nothing unless you see it yourself.

Experience goes with the territory there so. Its the same down south. You'd get the know the reports that are based on reality and the ones based on getting bums into boats ;)

I was on the moythis morning. river was rising and chocolate brown but still got a 3lb salmon on the worm. The river should fish well at weekend when it clears

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭mrxireland

The drift nets where banned 45 years ago and theyre quotas where in the 10s of thousands)if i remember correctly, it was 80000) so all them fish are now getting back up that river.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭mrxireland

Lots of people fishing it in the last week or so, lots of poaching going on too sadly.

^^ that spot in right in Foxford village, nice and central but thronged usually. You will find some decent spots as you move downriver - i can ask around if you'd like.

Poaching on the moy, no chance sure the place is covered with baliffs and club members. when you say poaching do you mean people not paying or guys with nets ?

mrxireland wrote: »
    Poaching on the moy, no chance sure the place is covered with baliffs and club members. when you say poaching do you mean people not paying or guys with nets ?

Rodding salmon and then bundling them off in bags into a car that comes to collect them regularly. I see the car every day, saw them with bags 3 times in the last 3 weeks. Last year they didn't bother using bags.

mrxireland wrote: »
    no chance sure the place is covered with baliffs and club members.

I am afraid not.
    I fish the moy on average 12-16 days in the year. I can not remember the last time i saw a fishery officer up river, at least 15 + years ago. But of course that may well just be a coincidence.
    There is netting going on upriver above kilasser.
    Generally club members are not on the river at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Irish Sport Fishing

Just to recount my recent experiences and give some credit where it is due - i've been on the Moy around the Foxford area several times over the last couple of months and have twice met fisheries officers checking for state licences and tags. I have also met them in a tackle shop checking that all the fish in the fridge had tags.

www.IrishSportFishing.com

Just to recount my recent experiences and give some credit where it is due - i've been on the Moy around the Foxford area several times over the last couple of months and have twice met fisheries officers checking for state licences and tags. I have also met them in a tackle shop checking that all the fish in the fridge had tags.

www.IrishSportFishing.com

Granted, but there is a lot more to the river than just Foxford downstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭keyser2012

Rodding salmon and then bundling them off in bags into a car that comes to collect them regularly. I see the car every day, saw them with bags 3 times in the last 3 weeks. Last year they didn't bother using bags.

I find that hard to believe. Where abouts on the moy would this be happening if it is at all.

What does rodding salmon mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Per The Irish Times today, 30th July 2012:

"It was another excellent week in Co Mayo on the River Moy, the best so far this season, with more than 1,000 salmon reported for the system.

Angling effort was very high on some fisheries and, as water levels continued to fluctuate, conditions suited all methods at different times."

That's 143 fish per day over a seven day period. Is that possible?

I suppose you could argue 1,000 salmon is an exaggeration, or it is an understatement, depending on which side of the tourism business you are on.

keyser2012 wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe. Where abouts on the moy would this be happening if it is at all.

What does rodding salmon mean

Catching salmon with a rod ofc :p I don't see what's hard to believe about it.

Catching salmon with a rod ofc :p I don't see what's hard to believe about it.

I dont believe you because you still havent said where on the moy it is. In your 1st post about it your suggesting that they are pulling salmon out left ight and centre but we all know it aint like this and you could go days or weeks without a catch

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Quiggers59

Tiernan Brothers in Foxford have a daily update of Salmon fishing on their website.its pretty good,fair and accurate,it tells you the good and the bad.As for the fishing returns they would be accurate,if not a little understated.However supp despite the stats it's still damm hard to catch a Salmon in The Moy or any river.The best anglers are the most persistent,but use local knowledge not to flog a dead horse and are persistent at the optimum times.

• Advertisement

I dont believe you because you still havent said where on the moy it is. In your 1st post about it your suggesting that they are pulling salmon out left ight and centre but we all know it aint like this and you could go days or weeks without a catch

I must be lying so, for some nefarious purpose :rolleyes: Having already spoken to both a contact in the fisheries board and the local bailiff I can assure you that it is happening and that the individuals concerned are known to them - and have been known for some time.

I haven't said the location because it would lead directly to my house, which I don't feel like sharing.

I must be lying so, for some nefarious purpose :rolleyes: Having already spoken to both a contact in the fisheries board and the local bailiff I can assure you that it is happening and that the individuals concerned are known to them - and have been known for some time.

I haven't said the location because it would lead directly to my house, which I don't feel like sharing.

How could it lead to your house if you were to say it was in the ballina waters, foxford waters, swinford etc.. I thinbk your making it up. Theres not a chance in hell that someone could get away with poaching on the same spot alll the time on the moy. You also say they are known, so why havent they been caught. The bailliffs would be after them like a shot if they knew where they were poaching.

How could it lead to your house if you were to say it was in the ballina waters, foxford waters, swinford etc.. I thinbk your making it up. Theres not a chance in hell that someone could get away with poaching on the same spot alll the time on the moy. You also say they are known, so why havent they been caught. The bailliffs would be after them like a shot if they knew where they were poaching.

No skin off my nose if you don't believe me.

what waters was it in

If you know where its happening then grow a pair and post the location here so that something can be done about. There no point posting on here saying that you know where it happens and not doing anything bout it:confused::confused:

If you know where its happening then grow a pair and post the location here so that something can be done about. There no point posting on here saying that you know where it happens and not doing anything bout it:confused::confused:

I think hes telling vibs because he would already have said.

I've been on to the relevant bodies about it, as I have clearly stated already. Its between Ballina and Foxford - the paddens/woodpool area.

Advertisement