Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German NCT called TÜV in Ireland?

Options
  • 27-06-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey Guys,

a friend told me there is a garage in Dublin doing the German version of the NCT called TÜV.
    I can't find anything on the internet, may some here knows that garage? I need to do the TÜV in some month, and driving back to Germany for that is a huge thing and a lot of additional costs.

Well sure I already tried to register my bike in Ireland, which would be the right thing to do anyways, but I have a problem with my insurance, they just don't get what I need to get it registered in Ireland, and the insurance price in Ireland is ridicules high without prove of driving for many years from my German insurance.
    The Irish insurance will cost about 8000€ /year. FTH?
    The German insurance costs me 240€ for a whole year. And yes I mean 240/year!
    So I am still on it to register my bike in Ireland, but until that is done, I need the German NCT (TÜV).

Regards,
    Milex :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Milex wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

a friend told me there is a garage in Dublin doing the German version of the NCT called TÜV.
    I can't find anything on the internet, may some here knows that garage? I need to do the TÜV in some month, and driving back to Germany for that is a huge thing and a lot of additional costs.

Well sure I already tried to register my bike in Ireland, which would be the right thing to do anyways, but I have a problem with my insurance, they just don't get what I need to get it registered in Ireland, and the insurance price in Ireland is ridicules high without prove of driving for many years from my German insurance.
    So I am still on it to register my bike in Ireland, but until that is done, I need the German NCT (TÜV).

I can't help you with your original question, just wanted to comment that if/when you register the bike in Ireland it will also have to be NCT'd within a few days even if you have a full TUV.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Milex

Thanks fasttalkerchat,

I thought so, the reason why I want a TÜV is, in case of an accident and no TÜV, my German insurance will not cover a thing.
    To pass the NCT is not a problem at all.

And thanks four your answer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I can't help you with your original question, just wanted to comment that if/when you register the bike in Ireland it will also have to be NCT'd within a few days even if you have a full TUV.

There's no NCT for motorbikes in Ireland, at least not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

B*llocks.
    There is no NCT for bikes in Ireland.

To register a bike as an Irish bike, you have to go to a NCT centre, but all they do is check the VIN number and take some money from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Hey Guys,

Regards,

Don't know where you are getting your insurance quotes from, but I would say you should get it for a lot less than 8 thousand.
    What bike us it, and how old are you?

• Advertisement

professore wrote: »
    There's no NCT for motorbikes in Ireland, at least not yet.

Sorry, yes of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Milex

Well that's easy in that case. But I still need the German TÜV first, but I hope my insurance will get it sorted very soon.
    I don't care where in Ireland, it's a small island anyways with wonderful streets for bikes, so I am happy to drive all around Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i see

and how much is this bike national CAR test

Tigger wrote: »
    i see

Oh dear. Please read the full thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

i see

Oh dear. Please read the full thread.

you read it.

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    you read it. jackass

Seriously no need for that. I obviously made a mistake about the NCT comment and someone corrected me. I apologised for my mistake since its a bike. Cut the crap, it doesn't help the OP and just pisses people off when they try to be helpful and come across people like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Why would you post nonsense that you have no idea about to people who are looking for advice

Have you ever den sat on a bike

Would I go into the biology forum and start stating as fact random wrong info?

Don't go away mad just go away

Why would you post nonsense that you have no idea about to people who are looking for advice

Have you ever den sat on a bike

Would I go into the biology forum and start stating as fact random wrong info?

Don't go away mad just go away

From personal experience I know a bit about driving a foreign vehicle in Ireland. In the case of a car what I said was a very valid point because he would have wasted that money when he got the car registered here it would have to be NCT'd again. In the case of a bike this is still true as there is no need to NCT a bike and therefore there is no point in TUVing a bike that will be Irish registered soon.

Anyway, I made a mistake and apologised for it. There was no need for 3 people to bulldoze in and there was no need for a poster to abuse me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hey Guys,

Regards,

Milex, herzlich Wilkommen :)

Something is wrong, €8000 cannot be right....I insured an SV650S today, for my wife, with no insurance history (NCB), for €246.......

Tell us a bit more about you and your bike... :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement