Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 euros for a take away cappuccino, is that too dear?

• 27-06-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

How much would you be willing to pay for a standard (12 OZ I think) take away cappuccino? I used to go to Butlers every now and then, not too often because I already found them too expensive, but the coffee is good and in some places like the Pavilion in Swords it was the best coffee around and other places charged the same. And you get a free chocolate.

But I think I hit a psychological limit when I discovered that the cappuccino is now 3 euros, for a take away it seems really too expensive. For that price, I can get a good cappuccino and a home made scone in some coffees in town (take away prices). So even though it is only 10 cents dearer than before, I think I'll not return to Butlers, even if they are the only decent place around.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Wouldn't go past 2 euros for take away no matter how good it is. For daily coffee E1.20 is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

Complete Rip Off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

that price seems normal enough to me when you look at starbucks and the like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

well 3 E to me seems like a fair feckin rip off , which coffee shop did you use,so i can avoid it altogether,i mean its a take away coffee not like your sittin down using the seat..shouldnt pay anything over 1.50,or 2.50 for sittin down with a coffee..and thats how much i would pay in costa..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Those rip-off merchants in Insomnia charge €3.25 for a take away coffee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Merkin wrote: »

That can't be for the standard 12 Oz coffee, can it? I paid 2.80€ the last time I was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Yea Insomnia charge €2.80 for their 12 Oz coffee.

La Corte in the food epicurean have just put up their price of their lattes &
    cappuccino to €3.00 from €2.80. I've been going there for 10 years & it used to be only €2:40 but has been slowly creeping up over the years.
    €3.00 is too much for a take away coffee and & I've just had my last coffee there today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Random wrote: »
    that price seems normal enough to me when you look at starbucks and the like.

Thats part of the problem starbucks have been passing off their dishwater as coffee and people have been conditioned to paying over the odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Is that a real question? You're genuinely not quite sure whether €3 is too much for a cup of (at best only soso) coffee that you effectively have to pull yourself from a machine into a styrofoam cup?

If you can't make sense from what I'm asking... Call me cheap but I drew the line at €2. €3 is taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Thats part of the problem starbucks have been passing off their dishwater as coffee and people have been conditioned to paying over the odds.

I love the way some people come out with comments like this especially when the chances are they have zero professional knowledge of what they are talking about, but think its cool to such utter sh1te because its a big american company.

From a professional coffee persons point of view such as coffeecupnews.org and coffeereview.com and some of the world's top baristas, Starbucks serves a fine cup of coffee. Its not at the very top of the league, but as chain restaurant coffee goes its up there with the best.

To call it dishwater shows your sheeplike following of those who hate any person / company that is successful. And also says that you know absoutley zilch about coffee.

btw - if you want really great coffee, get green arabica beans, roast them yourself in a home roaster (a decent one will cost about €500), and then whilst still hot use a good bean to cup machine for the best coffee you'll ever experience. And that's why I love Sundays - cos its the only day I have the time to do this. Any other day its starbucks or nespresso or caffitalia.

As for price - €3 for 12oz is a bit much as a takeaway, I'd expect a decent 16 or 20oz cup for that price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

I think take away coffee is 0% VAT too, big money spinner for all the outlets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

That's like asking if €20 for a bottle of wine is too dear. It depends on the wine.

Not all coffee's the same. There's good coffee, bad coffee and great coffee, depending on how much you want to spend.

Obviously the more you spend, the quality begins to plateau, and there's not really much of a correlation between price and quality in most places. But if you like the coffee, I wouldn't say it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Thing is it is really hard to find a decent cup of coffee that is hot.

At first I used to be crazy bout cappochinos and all the fancy stuff, but actually all I really want is plain filter coffee, no messing about and it is so hard to get. Probably cause we all ditched it and went for the cappochinos and lattes. Now I have found a few places that do excellent filter/brew but you need to always ask for the cup to be heated first.

All for under €2.50

in town:
    Kilkenny Design
    Starbucks
    Upstairs in Avoca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mossy2

To answer the OP's question:

Yes - it's too dear. Far far too dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

It's the best coffee around though. I only get Americanos there, but its much nicer than Insomnia, O'Briens and McDonald's.

I'll always pay a lil extra for quality :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

I haven't been for more than a month since I've been to there but I used to get a cappucino (any size) with a pastry at Insomnia for 3.50. I'd never bought the coffee only...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Madame K wrote: »
    I haven't been for more than a month since I've been to there but I used to get a cappucino (any size) with a pastry at Insomnia for 3.50. I'd never bought the coffee only...

I used always get the same in Insomnia but they have now increased the price of that offer to €3:75 which I don't consider value anymore so I won't be buying it again. There's only so many price increases one can put up with, like La Corte in the food epicurean I just don't bother going there any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm lucky to have a Londis near where I work that has all coffees for €1 and Chicken Fillet rolls for €2. The quality of the coffee becomes less relevant (in my mind) once foamed milk comes into the equation. I'd notice the difference for espressos but the difference in taste of Cappuccinos is very slight and nine times out of ten I'd go somewhere that's cheaper if it's just as convenient.

In other words, €3 is way too expensive, especially if there are cheaper alternatives nearby.

Passed by the Butlers yesterday, the place was almost empty, bare the usual yummy mummies (must say the place is great for buggies). Same in town today.

I since have found a few places that do a lovely take away coffee for 2 or 2.50, I'll just have to forgo the "free" chocolate :rolleyes:

I got stung too at the weekend. We went to eat at Avoca and while the food was relatively good value (the portions were large, everything was home cooked and delicious and just a bit dearer than a sandwich served with a handful of crisps in an average café), the coffee was mad expensive. My own fault for not looking at the prices display, the "large" cappuccino, which was by all means smaller than any average sized coffees, was 3.25€ :eek: It was meant to be a family treat so I didn't say a word, but will not order drinks there anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

i would lose sleep over that !! :D:D

for 3 euro i would want someone to hold the cup for me as i sip from it,
    robbin dastarbs

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

The coffee would have to have been roasted in the belly of a civet to make it worth that price.

http://www.civetcoffee.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

A friend of mine runs a shop with a deli and has one of those self service coffee machines. She tells me that the coffee costs no more than 10c to her to produce, in fact the paper cup is almost the dearest part. My local super valu charges €1.70 for their self service coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

That's why coffee refills are free in the US. Coffee is cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭StudentDad

The main reason why these coffee shops have inflated prices is that enough people are mad enough to pay them. If enough people said no - the coffee shop is left with two options - drop their prices or stop selling coffee.

SD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 coolgal52

It is expensive but sadly it is probably average in Dublin anyways, we are ripped off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Blisterman wrote: »
    That's like asking if €20 for a bottle of wine is too dear. It depends on the wine.

Not all coffee's the same. There's good coffee, bad coffee and great coffee, depending on how much you want to spend.
    The difference is that the coffee beans themselves are a much lower % of the cost price than wine would be. e.g. The beans for a cup of coffee could be 10cent, if they get coffee beans at twice the price then it still only 20cent for the coffee itself. Much of the rest of the costs, staff, overheads, cup, water etc will be the exact same. Yet some places are total chancers and will double the price if the beans price is doubled.

Its sort of similar to the practice of charging a flat 12% service charge in a restaurant, so you are paying a waiter €120 to open a bottle of €1000 wine.
    The coffee would have to have been roasted in the belly of a civet to make it worth that price.

http://www.civetcoffee.co.uk/
    I saw this for €28 a cup in dublin. That is an example of multiplying up the bean price rather than just adding a reasonable extra cost to the cup for using more expensive beans.

The Kiosk in Ballsbridge, which featured in the Irish Times on Saturday, does a great coffee, freshly roasted, for 2.50€. Beats Butlers' anytime

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That's why coffee refills are free in the US. Coffee is cheap.
    I doubt Starbucks offer free refills.

The reason refills (coffee and soft drinks) are free in other places is because the cost is offset against the mountains of food Americans are piling into their faces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Skuxx

A friend of mine runs a shop with a deli and has one of those self service coffee machines. She tells me that the coffee costs no more than 10c to her to produce, in fact the paper cup is almost the dearest part. My local super valu charges €1.70 for their self service coffee.

My local Maxol charges €2.50 for coffee from an instant self service machine!! They got me once the crooks but they won't get me again! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I doubt Starbucks offer free refills.

The reason refills (coffee and soft drinks) are free in other places is because the cost is offset against the mountains of food Americans are piling into their faces.

If you have an espresso made coffee in the store you can get a free filter to go. Or at least you used to be able to.

€3 for a properly made cappacino is fine. The vast majority of places in Ireland can't make a decent coffee. The most obvious one being leaving the shot sitting there for ages while they steam the milk. Ruins the taste and I've pulled up many a 'barista' over it. Probably why my food gets spat in a lot :D

If you have an espresso made coffee in the store you can get a free filter to go. Or at least you used to be able to.

€3 for a properly made cappacino is fine. The vast majority of places in Ireland can't make a decent coffee. The most obvious one being leaving the shot sitting there for ages while they steam the milk. Ruins the taste and I've pulled up many a 'barista' over it. Probably why my food gets spat in a lot :D

The Kiosk in Ballsbridge, which figured in the Irish Times recently, offers a take away cappuccino for 2.50€. The beans are freshly roasted. It is more than decent, it is very very good.
    Voilà on Baggot Street has a take away cappuccino for 2.40€ and it is also very good (but not as good as the Kiosk's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Nanazolie wrote: »
    The Kiosk in Ballsbridge, which figured in the Irish Times recently, offers a take away cappuccino for 2.50€. The beans are freshly roasted. It is more than decent, it is very very good.
    Voilà on Baggot Street has a take away cappuccino for 2.40€ and it is also very good (but not as good as the Kiosk's)

Don't just equate the beans to the taste of the coffee - hows its made is also very important. In fact when it comes to 90% of people drinking coffee you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between beans - how its made however can be tasted my most.

Thats not to say if the beans are crap you wont taste is - most of the coffee from the big suppliers in Dublin is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

A friend of mine who is a long distance truck driver gave me a couple of bags of LavAzza (Italy's favourite coffee)

The bags are 1000g and have lasted for several weeks and still loads left. Now I just grind my own when I can. Cheapest way out but apart from that its absolutely beautiful coffee.

Advertisement