Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Banking Crisis

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

smash wrote: »
    That's my point.

I can't believe some people are so easy going about it... they must be loaded with multiple accounts across different banks or something.

Er... I have not had a problem accessing my funds. I showed up at the bank at 6pm after work, stood in line for a minute while being offered a cup of tea and some biscuits, and took money out.
    Where on earth does this idea come from that people were left stranded without money? Have ATMs taken over so much that people are incapable of actually going into the bank for their money now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Shenshen wrote: »
    If you'd been with the other networks before, and they had not only left you without service for days but overcharged you for those days, refused to aknowledge there was a problem at all and proceeded to make your details available to other companies without your consent, I think you'd be willing to forgive a glitch that effectivley only meant that you couldn't purchase credit online.

As I said, my mortgage payment did go out, as did a standing order I've set up on my account. The only problem I had was that I couldn't make any online purchases with my debit card... and tell you what? As inconveniences go, I've had far worse.

Are you serious? you must be a special case because I know people who hadn't got paid, couldn't withdraw money, mortgage payments weren't taken, were left abroad penniless...

Even one guy who was going on holidays on the Saturday and went to the bank on the first Friday after the incident and was told maximum withdrawal of €500 a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Wireless net

in fairness to ulsterbank, they now do deliveries! I phoned UB and the manager delivered me my withdrawl to my office, i just had to sign the withdrawl slip...... they do deliveries now they do!

but their IT disaster recovery , business continuity , and communication skills leave a lot to be desired, very poor and extreme arrogance from senior exec's in RBS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Shenshen wrote: »
    Er... I have not had a problem accessing my funds. I showed up at the bank at 6pm after work, stood in line for a minute while being offered a cup of tea and some biscuits, and took money out.
    Where on earth does this idea come from that people were left stranded without money? Have ATMs taken over so much that people are incapable of actually going into the bank for their money now?

You have to remember that UB has quite a sparse branch network too compared to AIB and BOI.

There'll be quite a lot of customers who are considerable distances from the nearest branch.

Then you've customers stranded abroad with no funds etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0705/ulster-bank-oireachtas-committee.html#article
    Members of the bank's management team are appearing before Stormont's Enterprise Trade and Investment Committee from 10am.
    Jim Brown opened the meeting by apologising unreservedly for the difficulties and said their customers expected better.
    He said staff were working "flat out" in an effort to solve the issues.

I have reason to believe that the above (highlighted) is untrue. I understand staff are still being allowed to take leave! Why is leave not cancelled to more quickly resolve this issue?????

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    You have to remember that UB has quite a sparse branch network too compared to AIB and BOI.

There'll be quite a lot of customers who are considerable distances from the nearest branch.

a few have posted on the UB thread saying UB paid for taxis for them to the nearest branch and back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

smash wrote: »
    I can't believe some people are so easy going about it... they must be loaded with multiple accounts across different banks or something.

Multiple accounts....yes......loaded no. I thought multiple accounts in different banks was common sense tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ulster banks chief executive Jim Brown today - "If I'm entitled to a bonus then I'll make that call at the time. I wouldn't exclude the possibility either way."

Its this sense of entitlement and arrogance that I can not comprehend from top bankers - in my world, bonuses are for a job well done , not screwing over your customers for a few weeks

Advertisement