Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

日本語 (Japanese)

Options
  • 27-06-2012 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a suggestion for one of the language sub-forums. Japanese written in Japanese is: 日本語. Would it be possible to re-name the Japanese forum from:

nihongo (Japanese)

to:

日本語 (Japanese)

Regards,
    Farcear
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Question: do all browsers (including mobile) have that character capability these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Yes, mine (Android default) does anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

If you open this thread in Google Chrome and view the name of the tab you'll see the three Japanese characters show up as empty rectangles. This doesn't bode well for optimum browser support. Conversely, look at Russian in a tab's title, all letters show up normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

If you open this thread in Google Chrome and view the name of the tab you'll see the three Japanese characters show up as empty rectangles. This doesn't bode well for optimum browser support.

I'm using chrome and the characters show up perfect for me.

Dean09 wrote: »
    I'm using chrome and the characters show up perfect for me.

OS & Version? Because it's busted here on Windows 7 with Chrome 19 for me

• Advertisement

OS & Version? Because it's busted here on Windows 7 with Chrome 19 for me

I'm using the exact same on my machine.

I'm using the exact same on my machine.

And you've got the character set installed in your Region & Languages? Because I don't, and I suspect I'm not the only one. Google-fu throws up a few similar results for Chinese/Japanese characters not appears in the title bar :)

And you've got the character set installed in your Region & Languages? Because I don't, and I suspect I'm not the only one. Google-fu throws up a few similar results for Chinese/Japanese characters not appears in the title bar :)

I'm not sure how it's showing up for me if it doesn't show up for you too.

This is the exact version of chrome I'm using:
    Google Chrome 19.0.1084.56 (Official Build 140965) m
    I'm not sure if there's any difference there from my version to yours though.
    And I haven't changed any language settings or anything. It's all completely stock settings.

I'm not sure how it's showing up for me if it doesn't show up for you too.

This is the exact version of chrome I'm using:

I'm not sure if there's any difference there from my version to yours though.
    And I haven't changed any language settings or anything. It's all completely stock settings.

Same as:

211408.gif

jape.png

Here's a screen shot.
    As you can see, the characters are displayed. Strange one. :confused:

• Advertisement

Sure is, has me a bit baffled if I'm honest. If a few more hop in and tell me it's something funky with my own OS I'll go off and see about the possibilities of making this happen for you folks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

This is an English language site. If someone is looking for a Japanese forum in Japanese they'll go to a Japanese language site. For people interested in Japanese typing on an English keyboard and speaking English they'll use this forum. Calling it 日本語 would not help that imo.

Francais doesn't have a cedilla; Espanol doesn't have that thingummy over the n; Korean I'm pretty sure is not spelt Korean in Korean. I think that the language name should be in the English spelling here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Orion wrote: »
    ... Espanol doesn't have that thingummy over the n...
    Tilde.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Orion wrote: »
    This is an English language site. If someone is looking for a Japanese forum in Japanese they'll go to a Japanese language site. For people interested in Japanese typing on an English keyboard and speaking English they'll use this forum. Calling it 日本語 would not help that imo. Francais doesn't have a cedilla; Espanol doesn't have that thingummy over the n; Korean I'm pretty sure is not spelt Korean in Korean. I think that the language name should be in the English spelling here too.
    I don't believe the suggestion is to change it to just the Japanese characters, but to have both. If you take a look at the Russian forum you'll see it's called "Russian (Русский)". Maybe a Japanese (日本語) would be the solution. And changing Espanol to Spanish (Español) etc :confused:

A little standardisation wouldn't go amiss

Sure is, has me a bit baffled if I'm honest. If a few more hop in and tell me it's something funky with my own OS I'll go off and see about the possibilities of making this happen for you folks :)
    I have the same rectangles, Danny. Chrome (20.0.1132.43 beta-m) on, ahem, XP.

However, I'd venture that someone who is likely to be reading in Japanese is going to have the correct character packs or compatible brower installed, so our problems are a moot issue.

If people think it's the way to go - I've no prob with it being implemented. I hate to see features being hindered because one browser or OS has bugs. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, IE and CSS3!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Dades wrote: »
    I have the same rectangles, Danny. Chrome (20.0.1132.43 beta-m) on, ahem, XP.

However, I'd venture that someone who is likely to be reading in Japanese is going to have the correct character packs or compatible brower installed, so our problems are a moot issue.

If people think it's the way to go - I've no prob with it being implemented. I hate to see features being hindered because one browser or OS has bugs. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, IE and CSS3!)

XP needs regional language packs. Needed to install'em before myself many moons ago.

IE is fine with the regional language pack for XP :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I don't believe the suggestion is to change it to just the Japanese characters, but to have both. If you take a look at the Russian forum you'll see it's called "Russian (Русский)". Maybe a Japanese (日本語) would be the solution. And changing Espanol to Spanish (Español) etc :confused:

A little standardisation wouldn't go amiss

^^^ This seems like the way to go on every level.

Putting non-standard characters first in the name seems likely to cause more bugs across different browsers, releases etc.

And having a standard format for all foreign language forums titles would make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

chrome_2.jpg

Characters are coming up correctly for me on Chrome and Windows 7.

Actually - I'm going to be extremely nitpicky here and hijack the thread slightly - on the languages dropdown, every language is in the vernacular first and then the English, bar Russian, which is the wrong way around. Continuity, people, continuity! :pac:

languages.jpg

Aquila wrote: »
    I would ask for Chinese characters in the Chinese language forum name too :)
    Not there a wet week and already throwing your weight around! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Characters appear fine here with Chrome 20.0.1132.47 m in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit:
    211649.jpg

I'd concur with the notion of standardising the layout of the languages list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

The 日本語 characters show up okay on Internet Explorer 9 (Windows 7) and Internet Explorer 10 RP (Windows 8 RP).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Characters show up fine for me, 20.0.1132.47 on Mac OS 10.7.

211856.png

On topic, I'd reckon it'd be no harm to throw them in. Like somebody said earlier, anyone using the forum would probably have the correct language packs installed anyway, so that counters the "boxes" argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm on Chrome on XP, with nothing special installed, and the Japanese showed up as squares on the title page, but in the thread they show as characters. When I just opened another tab and went back to look they had turned into characters on the title page as well.

Bump? Update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    Characters show up fine for me, 20.0.1132.47 on Mac OS 10.7.

ditto

One year later. Bump. Update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Farcear wrote: »
    One year later. Bump. Update?

I'll take a look into potential encoding issues and see what we can do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

I've dropped it in now, will only reflect on the top nav menu after you've cleared your browser's localStorage (Logging out / in is probably the easiest way to accomplish this). Won't be reflected in the nav menus served via any of the legacy skins.

Looks fine to me in multiple OS / browser combinations, but if you encounter any issues just let me know over in Site Dev, cheers

I've also stuck an item on "The List" regards the standardisation of the Languages sub forum titles. We're very busy atm though, so I can't give any ETA unfortunately.

Advertisement