Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer rounds

• 27-06-2012 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

If round 1 offers come out a week after the results, does that mean that round 2 offers come out a week after that? and so on with round 3, 4..etc? I'm just wondering, in case I happen to wait until my 6th offer - will I have to wait 6 weeks, or how does it work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lucario wrote: »
    If round 1 offers come out a week after the results, does that mean that round 2 offers come out a week after that?
    The deadline for accepting Round 1 offers is roughly a week after the offers themselves; then there will be a few days before they are in a position to make Round 2 offers, and roughly a week again for students to accept them.
    and so on with round 3, 4..etc? I'm just wondering, in case I happen to wait until my 6th offer - will I have to wait 6 weeks, or how does it work?
    Subsequent offer rounds are normally more informal, I doubt if they ever get to 6th round, even informally. Most courses will be filled after Round 1, most of the rest after Round 2, and it will only be a handful of places being filled after that.

Actually, see the timetable in the back of your CAO handbook; dates for this year are given in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

If round 1 offers come out a week after the results, does that mean that round 2 offers come out a week after that? and so on with round 3, 4..etc? I'm just wondering, in case I happen to wait until my 6th offer - will I have to wait 6 weeks, or how does it work?

Do you mean in case you don't get your first 5 choices? If you don't have the points for your first 5, you'll just be offered your sixth choice in round 1. If in round 2 the points for one of your higher choices drop, and you become eligible, you'll be offered that and you can choose whether to accept that or to keep your sixth choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Results are out awful late this year aren't they? August 20th? We'll be literally accepting the offers and straight into college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

There's generally only 3-4 offer rounds, as the majority of students would quickly have accepted offers in the first and second rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

finality wrote: »
    Do you mean in case you don't get your first 5 choices? If you don't have the points for your first 5, you'll just be offered your sixth choice in round 1. If in round 2 the points for one of your higher choices drop, and you become eligible, you'll be offered that and you can choose whether to accept that or to keep your sixth choice.

Ah yes, this makes sense, thank you :) I thought if, for some unlikely(:rolleyes:) reason I didn't get any of my first 5 offers that I'd have to wait 6 weeks for the 6th offer.

@Randy, thanks for that. According to this the offers go on until October.

@Randy, thanks for that. According to this the offers go on until October.
    That's mostly about upgrades due to appeals though, not the general run of offers.

It's not impossible to get a late offer for very high demand courses such as Med even without an upgrade, as people don't accept offers ... colleges are anxious to fill every last place on these, and applicants to avail of them.

For high volume courses like Arts, the college may say "1200 places", they have 1190 acceptances after R2, they probably won't bother looking for that extra 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Results are out awful late this year aren't they? August 20th? We'll be literally accepting the offers and straight into college.

Our results are out the 15th this year! According to the SEC Website anyway!

j6nkq.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

God I need to check my dates. Someone said 20th to me and I'm like some colleges start literally the week or two after that!

I know this is off-topic but I might as well ask here instead of making a new thread, but if I happen to accept a course and I end up not liking it, can I switch courses after my 1st year? I'm asking this because I'm split between 2 courses :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 noname123

Chuchoter wrote: »
    God I need to check my dates. Someone said 20th to me and I'm like some colleges start literally the week or two after that!

It is the 20th according to the C.A.O. Handbook -

August

- Early August
    Round 0 offers for certain Non-Standard categories of applicant

- Mid August (I heard the 15th)
    Leaving Certificate results issued

20 August (expected date)
    - Round 1 offers

27 August (expected date)
    - Round 1 Acceptances 5:15 pm.

29 August (expected date) - Round 2 offers

noname123 wrote: »
    It is the 20th according to the C.A.O. Handbook -

August

- Early August
    Round 0 offers for certain Non-Standard categories of applicant

- Mid August (I heard the 15th)
    Leaving Certificate results issued

20 August (expected date)
    - Round 1 offers

27 August (expected date)
    - Round 1 Acceptances 5:15 pm.

29 August (expected date) - Round 2 offers

Chuchoter was talking about the results, which are out on the 15th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 noname123

Chuchoter was talking about the results, which are out on the 15th :)

Sorry, I thought he was talking about results
    New to boards :)

Advertisement