Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outgoing Email server settings for Outlook 2010.

• 27-06-2012 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,
    i have an Eircom email account which works fine both sending & receiving through Outlook 2010 while i'm at home connected to my UPC Broadband.
    My outgoing email server is set to smtp.upcmail.ie and my incoming to webmail.eircom.net.
    The problem is that when i leave the UPC network i can no longer send emails but can still receive them, i assume this is smtp.upcmail.ie causing the problem. The only reason i switched from mail1.eircom.net as my outgoing email server is that UPC told me i would have to in order to continue sending emails.
    If i login to a Vodafone network i have to switch my outgoing email server mail.vodafone.ie and it works.
    What i'm asking is if there is one universal outgoing server address i can use whether in Ireland or abroad on any network?
    Cheers,
    Steve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

No in order to minimise spamming most email servers will only accept connections from devices on their network.

If you regularly use two different ISP's e.g. home and work then just set up a second account same name and incoming server but with the appropriate outgoing server. Then when sending mails choose the account which relates to the connection you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dahoe

Thanks fro the quick reply.
    The only problem with that is that i regularly travel abroad so use various different networks, sometimes changing multiple times throughout the day.
    I don't always know what network i'm on if i'm hooked up to free WiFi somewhere.
    Is there any other solution e.g. a universal outgoing email server address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You may need to sign up to an authenticed smtp service - there are probably some free ones out there as well as paid.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You should set up a gmail account with imap settings.

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77695

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dahoe

I'd rather not have anything to do with Google.
    An authenticed smtp service sounds the way to go. Are these safe to use and does anyone know of any free ones?

• Advertisement
Advertisement