Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will be renting soon. first time, need advie.

Options
  • 27-06-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey, so.. i'm moving out with a friend soon enough, and basically just need the ins and outs, do's and dont's.. Obviously the majority of the know how is common sense, and my mother dearest (ha) has given me alot of advice. But theres still a few things i'm unsure of.

Regarding the tv license, as far as i know im entitled to the household benefit package, which includes a free tv license, because im on the disability allowance, but when applying for it i actually have to first get the tv license itself to get the license number for the application form.. im not exactly minted, so i cant fork out the 160 (or 80 between me and my mate) for it right away, isnt there a way of paying it by the month? or three months??

second, the house we're looking to rent has internet and cable tv, the internet we would like to keep if its not to expensive, but the tv we have no use for because neither of us watch it. Seeing as this is my first time moving on my own, i'm not to sure on how landlords work.. Would it be possible to get the tv cut off or not? or would it depend on the landlord?

any other advice for a renting noob like me would be much appreciated :) aside from the obvious stuff like managing money for bills, food, rent etc

cheers :)
    -Ted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

If the house comes with a TV and you don't want it, ask the landlord to remove it.

When dealing verbally with the landlord/agent always, without fail, back that up with a written letter and keep a copy or ask them to confirm in writing what ever was agreed.

Remember, that it can be difficult to get out of a fixed term lease agreement so check out the property and furnishings/appliances before you sign the lease. Also check out the area at different times of the day (and night) to see if there is any local anti-social behaviour - remember, you could be tied into staying for a year (usual time for a fixed term lease)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

ted. wrote: »
    Would it be possible to get the tv cut off or not? or would it depend on the landlord?
    If you're paying for it you are free to cancel it whenever you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Very important - make sure you go around the house and make a note of everything belonging to the LL and the condition it's in (you can take photographs, if you wish). He/she should do it with you but if not, do it yourself and send them the list, signed and dated, and ask LL/agent to check it. This is to stop disputes later on when the LL might say you have broken something, when you haven't or wants to renew an item when it was in poor condition prior to moving in but, nonetheless, would like you to foot the bill.

It's hassle, but worth it as it's peace of mind.. and your LL knows too that you are not going to be messed with ;)

Once you've moved in, and done all your checks, relax and enjoy it. Very exciting renting your first place.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ted.

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Very important - make sure you go around the house and make a note of everything belonging to the LL and the condition it's in (you can take photographs, if you wish). He/she should do it with you but if not, do it yourself and send them the list, signed and dated, and ask LL/agent to check it. This is to stop disputes later on when the LL might say you have broken something, when you haven't or wants to renew an item when it was in poor condition prior to moving in but, nonetheless, would like you to foot the bill.

It's hassle, but worth it as it's peace of mind.. and your LL knows too that you are not going to be messed with ;)

Once you've moved in, and done all your checks, relax and enjoy it. Very exciting renting your first place.

Best of luck!

ha thats quite clever :P .. cheers for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

Take lots of pictures too

• Advertisement
Advertisement