Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what could be doing this? (read for more info )

Options
  • 27-06-2012 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

So My Dad was fishing the other day and I took my dog for a walk in the same area and so was nearby him, it's a large cliff flat-ish face about 1/8 of an acre long and so various spots to fish off different depths/ heights

Anyway when he was fishing this particular spot (called the gullet) (approx 20m deep when tide is in), something kept grabbing the line near the surface ( ie when he was bringing reeling his line in)
    Whatever it was had an iron grip and pulling only resulted in breaking the cat-gut) and let go go again after a few seconds of slack given,
    They weren't after the baits but appeared to go for the lead weights (about 5cm x 3 cm) they weren't getting stuck in rocks or anything like that, espescially since it was near the water surface (perahps a few feet from top)

They did this for the weight for both feathers and a normal bait-lain hook.

I was there when this happened last year and at one time a huge crab (edible crab) came up but when reaching the water surface let go of the weight and dropped back into the ocean.

So Yeah Any Ideas? Could it be the crabs mistaking them for mussels or something?

Comments

Advertisement