Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do they still write 12-tone stuff?

• 27-06-2012 7:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭

When was the last one recorded - back in the 1960s? Do any of today's composers still use this technique? Does 21st century twelve-tone serialism exist?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Naa it's all been done

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

We used to write them as exercises in theory & composition classes, but I can't think of a modern composer who still writes in this style. It was more of an experiment with limited scope than an art form with huge potential for composers, in my very humble opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Short answer:

I seriously hope not. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Well even the early pioneers of twelve tone music didn't follow it by the book, there can be examples found in Webern and others I'm sure of where the twelve tone system is not followed particularly rigidly. I guess the system evolved and moved on quite quick, but as with all of these things, ended up being a huge influence on later composers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

Yeah, the more rigid 12-tone format is mainly used as a learning exercise in music schools (anyone else have to do "Magic Squares" in theory or music history?). But the influence and the technique is still used, usually as just one of many techniques in a person's quiver.

-Tyler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Funny thing, I'm actually working on a piece at the moment that uses the technique (though somewhat loosely). It is pretty rare these days, and the criticisms against it for being overly academic do stand, but it does have some uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Composers still use twelve tone rows in their work as a means of presenting melodic material. Examples of Irish composers using it in their works include Eibhlis Farrell's Time Drops and many of Ian Wilson's works. The rules wouldn't be as strict as the early days but the concept of a 'tone row' is still very prevalent, and rightly so. It is simply a way of organising pitches and can be used to create non atonal, non serial music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Spectralism is the new 12 tone...

Seriously, it's brilliant!

Personally I'm not a fan of systems.
    But if they help, why not use some for aesthetic purposes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Is that the French stuff from the 1970s or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

FishBowel wrote: »
    Is that the French stuff from the 1970s or something else?
    Yep, that's the stuff.
    Also Electroacoustic and exploratory composition(including
    extended technique) are interesting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement