Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for renting out a room on Daft (house share)

Options
  • 27-06-2012 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm currently living in a rented house, and we have one room available to let. I've put the ad up on Daft, and in a week I've had 6 people over to view it. I was pleased with that response (having never done this before I have no basis for comparison), but despite each viewer reacting positively to the house I've still heard nothing back from anybody.

Now don't get me wrong, I've been all nods and smiles viewing shoddy houses in the past, just out of politeness, but what worries me is that this is a nice house, close to town, and includes parking. It's boggling my mind why nobody seems to want to move in. The only real downside is that the deposit is quite a bit higher than a months rent, but that's because the landlord grew up in the house and is very protective of it. He's not willing to budge on the deposit unfortunately.

Is there a typical length of time it takes to rent a room? Is worrying after one week jumping the gun a bit?

Many thanks,
    Sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

"the deposit is quite a bit higher than a months rent,"

I'd suspect that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

"the deposit is quite a bit higher than a months rent,"

I'd suspect that's the problem.

Agree. Most people calculate the deposit as being one months rent and expect to pay one month rent in advance, also.

So I would imagine that your room is more expensive than other similar rooms.
    Maybe point it out to the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agreed. In this day and age, wanting a deposit than is more than a months rent would be a huge turn off for a lot of people. It's also not just about the money. It sends a bad message that the land lord is overly money conscious. They are all money conscious, but this is over and above the norm for most land lords when it comes to deposits.

The house being his old family home is all well and good. Asking for a higher deposit in case his mammys precious Axminster carpet gets damaged may make perfect sense in his head. But it sends a message to future tenants that he may be overly picky about what would be considered normal wear and tear. It sends a message that he will be a pain to deal with at move out time, and will nit pick over the tiniest thing before refunding peoples deposit, due to his emotional connection to the house. It also sends out a message that if something breaks down, he may be slow or cheap in getting it fixed.

Btw, why are you the one to be dealing with all this? Isn't it the land lords responsibility to get the room rented, not yours?

Advertisement