Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is responsible for maintaining telephone lines?

• 27-06-2012 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey guys :)

Does anyone know who is responsible for maintaining & upgrading telephone lines in Ireland as far as DSL is concerned? I would have guessed Eircom but their site seems to be only for direct customers.

I'm considering getting a petition together from my area and I need to know who it should go to ;)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Threefeet

Ah, I saw that on my Google run earlier but didn't put it together. Thanks!

EDIT ::
    Please note eircom Wholesale deal with Telecoms Service providers only.

Has anyone successfully contacted them about a regional connection issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Threefeet wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully contacted them about a regional connection issue?
    What sort of issue are we talking about?
    If you are considering getting a petition going to try get Eircom to upgrade an exchange you are wasting your time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom still haven't finished their basic broadband enablement program announced in April 2007 and supposed to be finished in 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    eircom still haven't finished their basic broadband enablement program announced in April 2007 and supposed to be finished in 2009.

Abandoned more like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

I agree. Abondoned a long time ago, especially with a lot of their customers finding alternatives like UPC, Digiweb Metro, Imagine Wimax, etc. Who wants Eircom anyway with these around?

What sort of issue are we talking about?
    If you are considering getting a petition going to try get Eircom to upgrade an exchange you are wasting your time.

The road I live on is limited to 5Mbps and it's quite shaky. A mile either direction can get 24Mbps DSL and cable. I don't even know if it is the exchange, tbh.
    cunnijo wrote: »
    I agree. Abondoned a long time ago, especially with a lot of their customers finding alternatives like UPC, Digiweb Metro, Imagine Wimax, etc. Who wants Eircom anyway with these around?

It's not Eircom, it's just DSL in general. Also UPC don't cover my road for some reason, yet again you can get 100Mbps UPC a mile away ffs.

If I had a definitive f-off from Eircom I would try tempting UPC to the area.

Sounds like a simple case of distance from the exchange, not much you can do.

Sounds like a simple case of distance from the exchange, not much you can do.

I'm not sure, tbh. People within a mile or two of me have 24Mbps DSL. I'm in a Cork suburb, not the countryside.

I'm not sure, tbh. People within a mile or two of me have 24Mbps DSL. I'm in a Cork suburb, not the countryside.

Here's a good graph showing the deterioration of speed the further you get from an exchange. The relevant part is green, notice how short a distance it takes for it to go from 20000+ (20mbit) to 5000 (5mbit).
    The people a within a couple of miles of you with 24MB are either closer to the exchange or perhaps on a different exchange entirely.

Your best hopes of speed increases are UPC coming to your area or Eircom's Fiber/Fibre to curb rollout, which I'd guess if you are in a Cork Suburb you might see in the next couple of years.
    Don't hold your breath though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

With VDSL one can profile lines. That means that a cabinet, eg on the edge of Cork can have a 100 pair cable plugged in pointing into town ( an estate) with a high speed short range 'profile' and can ALSO have a 100 pair cable plugged in pointing out the country to fall back as required from VDSL2 to ADSL2+ on a long range but slower 'profile' .

The problem is that eircom will only deploy VDSL2 with short range profiles (eg Profile 17a) _that I know of_ and that the possibilities of improving speeds in the rural hinterland are not developed.

I would be delighted to hear otherwise of course and that eircom do not see VDSL2 as an urban only technology.

Exchanges like Douglas and Letterkenny and Mervue, currently being upgraded, cover large rural hinterlands as well as urban/suburban areas.

Here's a good graph showing the deterioration of speed the further you get from an exchange. The relevant part is green, notice how short a distance it takes for it to go from 20000+ (20mbit) to 5000 (5mbit).
    The people a within a couple of miles of you with 24MB are either closer to the exchange or perhaps on a different exchange entirely.

Your best hopes of speed increases are UPC coming to your area or Eircom's Fiber/Fibre to curb rollout, which I'd guess if you are in a Cork Suburb you might see in the next couple of years.
    Don't hold your breath though :pac:

Thanks for the info, it does sound like UPC are my best bet alright!
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    With VDSL one can profile lines. That means that a cabinet, eg on the edge of Cork can have a 100 pair cable plugged in pointing into town ( an estate) with a high speed short range 'profile' and can ALSO have a 100 pair cable plugged in pointing out the country to fall back as required from VDSL2 to ADSL2+ on a long range but slower 'profile' .

The problem is that eircom will only deploy VDSL2 with short range profiles (eg Profile 30a) _that I know of_ and that the possibilities of improving speeds in the rural hinterland are not developed.

I would be delighted to hear otherwise of course and that eircom do not see VDSL2 as an urban only technology.

Exchanges like Douglas and Letterkenny and Mervue, currently being upgraded, cover large rural hinterlands as well as urban/suburban areas.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! For some reason Magnet kept telling me I *should* be able to run 24Mbps but switching the profile generally led to worse performance than the usual 5Mbps.

Next stop: UPC. I'm so jealous of 100Mb customers :)

Thanks for the info and advice, lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Next stop: UPC. I'm so jealous of 100Mb customers :)

The bottom line is if you can get UPC don't waste your time with DSL.

bealtine wrote: »
    The bottom line is if you can get UPC don't waste your time with DSL.

Oh I know, I've been a UPC customer in another area before and miss it.

I just figured if I'm going to go speak to my neighbours, it would've been easier to convince them to sign a petition to improve their current DSL connections as opposed to switching to an entirely different service.

I'll contact UPC and find out if there is some magical number of household signatures that would encourage them to cable the area :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi Threefeet

There may one or two other alternatives available to you in the form of fixed wireless if UPC will not come to you. I myself have Digiweb's Metro Express service here in Naas, which gives very close to 30Mb. It consists of an antenna placed on your roof which is then connected to an internal cable modem. Speeds are generally very good and there is also a good quality phone service with it. You can check this out on http://www.digiweb.ie.

Other alternatives include Imagine's Wimax (http://www.imagine.ie) and I'm sure as you mention that you live in Cork there are other companies too that provide fixed wireless services in the area. Seriously worth a look. A real alternative to DSL (if or where UPC is not available)

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi Threefeet

There may one or two other alternatives available to you in the form of fixed wireless if UPC will not come to you. I myself have Digiweb's Metro Express service here in Naas, which gives very close to 30Mb. It consists of an antenna placed on your roof which is then connected to an internal cable modem. Speeds are generally very good and there is also a good quality phone service with it. You can check this out on http://www.digiweb.ie.

Other alternatives include Imagine's Wimax (http://www.imagine.ie) and I'm sure as you mention that you live in Cork there are other companies too that provide fixed wireless services in the area. Seriously worth a look. A real alternative to DSL (if or where UPC is not available)

Thanks for the suggestions! I've checked with both Imagine and Digiweb and their fixed wireless services aren't available in my area. I've also previously checked with a local provider who actually came and fitted the antenna before realising we don't have coverage. It looks like I'm out of luck :)

Advertisement