Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFC Playoff Picture

Options
  • 27-06-2012 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

While the AFC is pretty set, and Dave is probably right it doesn't warrant a big in-depth preview, there is still stuff up for grabs (honestly there is, I didn't just waste these 20 mins).

As they stand
    1. Jets 12-0
    2. Raiders 11-1
    3. Titans 8-4 (5-3 Conference)
    4. Bengals 8-4 (5-4 Conference)
    5. Bills 9-3
    6. San Diego 8-4

In the Hunt
    Chiefs 7-5

So what is left to play for?

No.1/No.2 seed
    It will take something we've never seen before (a Jets regular season loss) for the No.1 seed to go anywhere but New York, that and the continued excellent form of the Raiders. While not looking likely, it is still technically a race. Little to choose between the schedules as neither has an easy run-in, but you would have to favour the Jets here.
    Jets: @ Rams, vs. Bills, vs. Titans, vs. Patriots
    Raiders: @ Chiefs, @ Chargers, vs. Chiefs, vs. Buccs
    Raiders all but locked up their bye week with a win over the Bengals, although the West could get wild with three division games left if the Chiefs and Chargers step up. 2 wins to seal the division title.

No.3/No.4 seed
    Bengals: @ Redskins, vs. Steelers, vs. Colts, @ Ravens
    Titans: @Jaguars, vs. Dolphins, @ Jets, vs. Bills

Bengals look favourites for this with 3 CPU games left, and the Titans facing the two impressive East teams after 2 CPU games.
    With both teams having had losses against the CPU however, nothing is written in stone.
    Does it matter? Yes! The Bills are to be avoided, especially now that they have a competent QB, and the Bengals are sick of seeing them in the playoffs!

No.5/No.6 Seed
    Bills: @Cardinals, @ Jets, @ Seahawks, @ Titans
    Chargers: @ Browns, vs. Raiders, @ Jaguars, vs. Broncos
    Chiefs: vs. Raiders, vs. Broncos, @ Raiders, vs. Panthers

Bills look set as a wildcard team at the moment, though they will face 3 tough human games after playing the CPU Cardinals.
    The Raiders will have a big say in this race playing the Chiefs twice and Chargers once. Chiefs really need to step it up to sneak into the playoffs.
    If they do manage to pull level with the Chargers they will probably take the spot as they currently hold a better division record (2-1 to 2-2).

All of which basically means; not a whole lot likely to change between now and Week 17, but... that's why we play the games!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Very nice ! I'll do one for the NFC tonight or tomorrow!

Thanks for the praise ! (putting pressure on me ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Thanks for the praise ! (putting pressure on me ? )

Jinxing you!
    Was tough enough to play against Tim Tebow and Kyle Orton, don't want Jay Cutler to come back and haunt me.
    Though how good could he be if he's on his 4th team in 3 seasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Hopefully we can beat the Chiefs then the Chargers, if we can I will rest all 17 non offensive line starters for the last 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Damn, leaving really screwed up what was looking to be a great season. If I don´t make the playoffs I think I´ll cry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Dave and the Bills are going to beat the Jets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Berty44 wrote: »

If the Bills beat the Jets, I will be demanding that the league look into this statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

etloveslsd wrote: »

If the Bills beat the Jets, I will be demanding that the league look into this statement.

And I will be rubbing my eyes in disbelief...

The real question we should be asking is will the Irish rugby team beat the All Blacks before the Bills beat the Jets???

It's 12 years until Ireland even play NZ again so id say Dave has the slight edge.... Only slight tho!!!

Second seed has been sealed for the Raiders. The question is who is 5th and who is 6th seed. If the Bills lose 2 of their remaining games and the Chargers beat the CPU, it's the Bills. If the Bills win 2 of their remaining games, the Chargers must win out for the 4th seed.

As they stand
    1. Jets 13-0
    2. Raiders 12-1
    3. Titans 9-4 (6-3 Conference)
    4. Bengals 8-5 (5-4 Conference)
    5. Bills 10-3
    6. San Diego 9-4

In the Hunt
    Chiefs 7-6
    Ravens 6-7

No.1/No.2 seed
    Jets: vs. Bills, vs. Titans, vs. Patriots
    Raiders: @ Chargers, vs. Chiefs, vs. Buccs
    *Raiders clinched division

No.3/No.4 seed
    Titans: vs. Dolphins, @ Jets, vs. Bills
    *Titans clinched division
    Bengals
    : vs. Steelers, vs. Colts, @ Ravens
    Ravens (CPU): @ Browns, vs. Redskins, vs. Bengals

No.5/No.6 Seed
    Bills: @ Jets, @ Seahawks, @ Titans
    Chargers: vs. Raiders, @ Jaguars, vs. Broncos
    Chiefs: vs. Broncos, @ Raiders, vs. Panthers

What's changed?
    Not much really, although results this week may make things more interesting if the Raiders beat Chargers, Bills beat Jets or Bengals lose (again) to the Steelers as the CPU Ravens make a late charge.

ibmax wrote: »
    And I will be rubbing my eyes in disbelief...

The real question we should be asking is will the Irish rugby team beat the All Blacks before the Bills beat the Jets???

It's 12 years until Ireland even play NZ again so id say Dave has the slight edge.... Only slight tho!!!

Oh the pain of watching that last test !

Talking to Dave at the meetup, his knowledge of the game is fantastic. Some of the things he does on defence are incredible, very difficult to play against. In particular his user control on defensive players is superb. Really dunno why he does not win more games, should not go on holidays really :pac:. He deserved to beat me the last two games we met.

I will definitely be trying to win, he is one of the guys I always find very challenging to play against even though my record agains him is good.

First game we ever played......Dave won.

• Advertisement

I will definitely be trying to win, he is one of the guys I always find very challenging to play against even though my record agains him is good.

If Dave wins tonight now.... i'm definitely calling shenanigans!!!!

ibmax wrote: »
    If Dave wins tonight now.... i'm definitely calling shenanigans!!!!

Quiet you! Otherwise il update your superbowl odds!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'll probably play my game tonight.
    Tbh I'll probably end up with 4th seed unless I manage to beat either the Bills :( or Jets :(:( and that will mean most likely a wild card against the Bills :(:(

Quiet you! Otherwise il update your superbowl odds!

An anonymous man in Jets paraphernalia has just placed a €100,000 bet on the Bills to win tonight...

... suspicious much???

Hold on just a second, it looks like I have a shot at the first seed, the Jets have lost. I have to win out for it.

As they stand
    1. Raiders 13-1 (11-0 Conference)
    2. Jets 13-1 (9-1 Conference)
    3. Titans 10-4 (6-3 Conference)
    4. Bengals 8-5 (5-4 Conference)
    5. Bills 11-3
    6. San Diego 9-5

In the Hunt
    Chiefs 8-6
    Ravens 6-7

No.1/No.2 seed
    Raiders: vs. Chiefs, vs. Buccs
    Jets: vs. Titans, vs. Patriots

No.3/No.4 seed
    Titans: @ Jets, vs. Bills
    Bengals
    : vs. Steelers, vs. Colts, @ Ravens
    Ravens (CPU): @ Browns, vs. Redskins, vs. Bengals

No.5 Seed
    Bills: @ Seahawks, @ Titans
    *Bills locked in to No.5 seed

No.6 Seed
    Chargers: @ Jaguars, vs. Broncos
    Chiefs: @ Raiders, vs. Panthers

What's changed?
    Raiders now in the driving seat for the No.1 seed due to superior conference record over the Jets
    If not for Dave's holidays, we could have a AFC East race. But instead Bills set for No.5 seed
    Only one game separates the Chargers and Chiefs for the No.6 seed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

2 losses coming up for the Titans will see them take on the Bengals :(

matthew8 wrote: »
    Hold on just a second, it looks like I have a shot at the first seed, the Jets have lost. I have to win out for it.
    Seeds mean absolutely nothing. Its all about getting to the playoffs. no matter who you play there they will be good you are guaranteed a tough game.

I am going to put my €1million winnings from last nights game on the Bucs beating the Raiders in week 17. Them Bucs have had some seriously impressive wins against humans whereas the Raiders have only scraped by every human opponent.

2 losses coming up for the Titans will see them take on the Bengals :(

We'll see how you get on Heli, wouldn't bank on me winning all my CPU games either judging by past performance and current form.
    Seeds mean absolutely nothing. Its all about getting to the playoffs. no matter who you play there they will be good you are guaranteed a tough game.
    All about getting in, No.1/No.2 seed doesn't matter I would say but Bengals/Titans are looking to avoid the Bills if possible.

Whoever finishes with No.4 seed will play Bills.
    No.3 seed will play Chargers/Chiefs

I think the seeds do matter, I prefer playing in the coliseum because it never rains there. We all know about the weather at the meadowlands. As for scraping by every human opponent, the Chiefs, Titans and Chargers the second time was a scrape. Baltimore wasn't close. The first Chargers game was domination apart from one TD run by Blount (on that note I think the Chargers are the most improved, seriously improved from week 2 to week 15). Cincinatti was rough, but not really a scrape.

• Advertisement

The first Chargers game was domination apart from one TD

16-7 you call a domination ?

Cincinatti was rough, but not really a scrape.

There's 5 fumbles in this game and you recover all of them. Id call that more than rough.

16-7 you call a domination ?

Ask the Chargers. They had one TD run, apart from that their offense may aswell have stayed on the plane.

There's 5 fumbles in this game and you recover all of them. Id call that more than rough.

Well I recovered 4 of them.

Ask the Chargers. They had one TD run, apart from that their offense may aswell have stayed on the plane.

Yeah to be honest there was never really much chance of me winning that game but domination, I'm not so sure. once i figured out how to stop Olsen then you were kind of stuck as I don't think you'd figured out how to utilise the other players on your offense. I wouldn't have beaten you but I'm not so sure about domination, it's a bit of an extreme word to use haha.

Most improved? I don't think so to be honest. I just now have a solid gameplan and know my playbook really well. But thank you :pac:

As they stand
    1. Raiders 14-1 (12-0 Conference)
    2. Jets 14-1 (10-1 Conference)
    3/4. Bengals 10-5 (7-4 Conference)
    3/4. Titans 10-5 (7-4 Conference)
    5. Bills 11-4 (9-2 Conference)
    6. San Diego 10-5 (8-3 Conference)

THE BREAKDOWN

No.1/No.2 seed
    Raiders: vs. Buccs
    Jets: vs. Patriots

Raiders now in the driving seat for the No.1 seed due to superior conference record over the Jets. Jets face CPU Pats and we expect victory there, which means it all comes down to Raiders against the high-flying Buccs. Win and they're No.1.

No.3/No.4 seed
    Titans: vs. Bills
    Bengals: @ Ravens
    *Bengals clinched division

Identical record and conference record to date. If it stays this way after week 17, then it would down Win % against common opponents (in this case the Colts, Ravens, Jets and Raiders).
    Bengals currently lead this at 2-2, while Titans at 2-3.
    Bengals win and they get No.3 seed. Beyond that I really don't wanna get into it.

No.5 Seed
    Bills: @ Titans
    *Bills locked in to No.5 seed

No.6 Seed
    Chargers: vs. Broncos
    *Chargers locked in to No.6 seed

No.3/No.4 seed
    Titans: vs. Bills
    Bengals: @ Ravens
    *Bengals clinched division

Identical record and conference record to date. If it stays this way after week 17, then it would down Win % against common opponents (in this case the Colts, Ravens, Jets and Raiders).
    Bengals currently lead this at 2-2, while Titans at 2-3.
    Bengals win and they get No.3 seed. Beyond that I really don't wanna get into it.

Essentially I need to win and for you to lose otherwise i take the 4th seed and you get 3rd, which will set up a rematch against Dave.

Essentially I need to win and for you to lose otherwise i take the 4th seed and you get 3rd, which will set up a rematch against Dave.

This is why I didn't go further into it :confused::
    If we both lose then we are tied on record, conference record and record v. common opponents which would bring us into strength of victory and strength of schedule. Not going to analyse those, probably a coin flip

This is why I didn't go further into it :confused::
    If we both lose then we are tied on record, conference record and record v. common opponents which would bring us into strength of victory and strength of schedule. Not going to analyse those, probably a coin flip

At that point its too much of headache, i'd be confident you'll pick up the win anyway even with your injuries

At that point its too much of headache, i'd be confident you'll pick up the win anyway even with your injuries

Am scared off after all my injuries, need to have someone to take the field in playoffs so gonna be a whole new Bengals team.
    Ricky Stanzi will be throwing his first pass as a BFL QB

Am scared off after all my injuries, need to have someone to take the field in playoffs so gonna be a whole new Bengals team.
    Ricky Stanzi will be throwing his first pass as a BFL QB

Yeah i'm a bit undecided about what to do aswell, I may also play back ups because if any of my key guys get injured im fcuked tbh!

Again expecting you to win is what is having me lean towards this action

• Advertisement

So what are the final seeds?

Is it:

1. Jets
    2. Raiders
    3. Bengals
    4. Titans
    5. Bills
    6. Chargers

Advertisement