Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Coffee Business

Options
  • 27-06-2012 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Im looking for information on setting up a mobile coffee / snack business such as a mobile coffee trailer or van. Does anyone have any information on what is required to set up such a business i.e. what licences do you need / (street trading licenses ?) what certifcation do you need (HACCP / HSE etc.). What requirements do you need / basics i.e. sinks / fridge etc. Does anyone have suggestions as to the best locations are to locate such a business (i.e. train stations / concerts / festivals). I would appreciate any input / advice. Do you need to set up as a sole trader or limited company. What is the best to start off with, a trailer type coffee unit or a built in coffee unit in a van ?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Can't give you anything you asked for, but in your shoes my first port of call would be franchises that do this. Even if they're outside Ireland. They'll have loads of useful info.

My second port of call would be to go hunting for a couple of the mobile stations themselves - go buy coffee at them, chat up the operator for info, note how busy and where they are, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wicklowkids

Hay Trojan, franchises are not in my equation as they cost a lot of money. Appreciate your comments.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

hey was looking thru donedeal and spotted this and thought of ur thread
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3500614

flynnlives wrote: »
    hey was looking thru donedeal and spotted this and thought of ur thread
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3500614
    cheers for that, will look into it. Do you know anyone doing this sort of thing, is it worth investing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Research...research...research !!

find a location with plenty of footfall - you need to apply for a retail licence from local council, as well as pass inspections from.

A guy recently (last year) set up a mobile food shop (sells mainly chipper food, brekkie rolls and chocolate) ...he's doing reasonably well... parks up mon-fri just off a motorway (N4) ...just after a roundabout.

Anyway - the point is ...if you see the perfect place... go for it...it could work for you - look out for colleges, bus stations, business areas (example the IFSC in Dublin) ....or even shopping areas.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Research...research...research !!

find a location with plenty of footfall - you need to apply for a retail licence from local council, as well as pass inspections from.

A guy recently (last year) set up a mobile food shop (sells mainly chipper food, brekkie rolls and chocolate) ...he's doing reasonably well... parks up mon-fri just off a motorway (N4) ...just after a roundabout.

Anyway - the point is ...if you see the perfect place... go for it...it could work for you - look out for colleges, bus stations, business areas (example the IFSC in Dublin) ....or even shopping areas.

Best of luck with it.

Cheers for the comments. I'm at the very early stages, so need to decide what is the best way forward re, trailer, van or stall etc. as being the best option for the locations.
    Cheers again.

Hi PCPhoto
    Do you have information on what needs to be researched ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I have designed branding for quite a few new coffee ventures this year already and the one thing I'v noticed is that the transport or vending vehicle have become more and more interesting. I think people may tend to notice a coffee vendor with a quirky vehicle (have worked on vw campers, vespa apes, motortrikes). If you are working at an event where all trade is new,i.e festival or event, and are not going directly to you because they know your coffee is great, this is going to be a big help.

The other advice I give to people is to figure out what type of customer they will expect to have based on their location. This will determine what style of branding they will go for (will their main customer be students?corporate types?no specific market?). While you don't want to segregate any particular market, a bland design can make you blend in with the rest to be honest.

Best of luck with your venture

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

[/QUOTE]

Best of luck with it.[/QUOTE]

so can you just park up wherever and start selling coffee or whatever it is your selling?

Advertisement