Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crèche/childcare - is this an option?

Options
  • 27-06-2012 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

So I don't actually have a baby yet, I'm not even pregnant but we are discussing it and unfortunately we'd be the first of our friends to have kids so we don't have anyone to ask.

I'm a Locum pharmacist and as such can pick and choose when/if I want to work, my other half works Monday to Friday. What would suit us well would. Be for me to work 3 Saturdays a month, and one weekday a week. Himself would be able to mind the baby on the Saturdays so we would only need childcare for Thursdays and perhaps a second day a week every 3 weeks or so. Are the any places that would offer such short hours? And that would perhaps be able to take the baby for extra days with some notice?

I don't really like the idea of a childminder as I'd feel it would be harder to check on them as thoroughly before choosing them than it would be to check and pick a crèche

Thanks in advance, am a bit clueless!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, it is an option. I do a similar thing with my creche. Some of them are full time or nothing, others are whatever days or part days you want. it really does depend on the individual creche. When I initially started back to work I just had her in for a day and a half a week. It was no problem for them as long as it was the same day every week.

The extra days with a bit of notice may be more tricky for them while the child is under 1 year old, as the ratio of staff to babies in a crech at that age very small. They may need to hire an extra staff member to cover it. Beyond that it should be fine. And you might find a creche that can accomadate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

You'll probably find that while in the past creches were stricter about full time or part time they are generally more flexible now due to demand decreasing with the level of unemployment ad pay cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

That's great to know that it's at least a possibility. I know it's at least a year away but we didn't want to do up our financial plans etc and then have it all go wrong. Thanks a mil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I don't really like the idea of a childminder as I'd feel it would be harder to check on them as thoroughly before choosing them than it would be to check and pick a crèche

You could go for a Registered Childminder. They are inspected/garda vetted/trained. Your local County Childcare Committee will have a list.

Of course its a personal choice, but don't close your options off just yet!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You could go for a Registered Childminder. They are inspected/garda vetted/trained. Your local County Childcare Committee will have a list.

Of course its a personal choice, but don't close your options off just yet!
    It is not a requirement to be fully trained but just to be undergoing training .
    They are only inspected if they are HSE registered which is only a requirement for Childminders with over a certain amount of kids.
    Garda vetting is optional .
    All registered Childminders are insured and are a member of an important network of people .

• Advertisement
Advertisement