Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working as an NCHD locum?

Options
  • 27-06-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi folks,

So I was just wondering if anyone could provide a bit of info regarding NCHD locum work in Ireland?

I'm currently studying graduate medicine and would be interested in working as a locum for a while after my intern year, solely to get my bank loan paid off. I realise that career-wise, locum work is a bit of a dead end, but would I be right in saying that this kind of work is a feasible means of making money at SHO level? Would any qualified doctors have a view?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TC80

latouche wrote: »
    Hi folks,

So I was just wondering if anyone could provide a bit of info regarding NCHD locum work in Ireland?

I'm currently studying graduate medicine and would be interested in working as a locum for a while after my intern year, solely to get my bank loan paid off. I realise that career-wise, locum work is a bit of a dead end, but would I be right in saying that this kind of work is a feasible means of making money at SHO level? Would any qualified doctors have a view?

Thanks for reading.

It can be done, but most hospitals in Ireland are desperately trying to cut down on the number of locums hired. Many have banned them outright. Might be better off locuming in UK if that's what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Locum Express and Locumlink are essentially the two for NCHDs. As mentioned, Reilly has been going on about limiting spending on locums and the jobs are scarcer and scarcer. Seems to be still a fair amount of stuff in the UK. But 2-3 years back, there used to be serious money to be made locuming- kinda sorry i didn't avail of some of it then :p :pac:

Advertisement