Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my HX620 still in good condition?

Options
  • 27-06-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

I just want to ask if my HX620 is still in good condition. How long do they usually live and produce ~600W(if they do)? I bought it second hand. Let's just say(because I'm unsure) that it have been bought right when it came out because I have no idea how old it is :P. The reason why I'm asking is because I'm going to buy a 7850 and I'm planning on overclocking it and if my CPU isn't good enough for games, I would like to overclock my CPU, too. Would it still be enough for the job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

it might not be putting out 600W anymore if its several years old, but it'll still be fine on a 7850, or 2.

it uses less power than your 8800GTX :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    it might not be putting out 600W anymore if its several years old, but it'll still be fine on a 7850, or 2.

it uses less power than your 8800GTX :P

Oh really? Dang. That's good to know. Lol. What if I overclock the 7850 and add a CPU Cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo to overclock the CPU? Still ok? Could you give me an estimate power consumption of my whole PC at the moment? Specs are on my sig..HDDs are 7200rpm, 4x 120mm fans(2x LEDs), 1x 200mm(stock top fan), DVDRW/CDRW combo drive, Wi-fi card, Creative x-fi something or other sound card with front bay(it's a good one. Probably worth about 100 itself, second hand).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Oh really? Dang. That's good to know. Lol. What if I overclock the 7850 and add a CPU Cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo to overclock the CPU? Still ok? Could you give me an estimate power consumption of my whole PC at the moment? Specs are on my sig..HDDs are 7200rpm, 4x 120mm fans(2x LEDs), 1x 200mm(stock top fan), DVDRW/CDRW combo drive, Wi-fi card, Creative x-fi something or other sound card with front bay(it's a good one. Probably worth about 100 itself, second hand).

With all that gear your psu should be able to handle it grand. the 8800gtx used WAY more power then a 7850 the 8800 could use 300+ watts at load while the 7850 will use about 80-90.

Limericks wrote: »
    With all that gear your psu should be able to handle it grand. the 8800gtx used WAY more power then a 7850 the 8800 could use 300+ watts at load while the 7850 will use about 80-90.

Thank you thank you. :) Approximate total power consumption please? :P And I'd also like to know the approximate maximum power output of the HX620 now. Thank you guys once again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

You can find out how much your PC will pull yourself very easily.
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

As for the total your PSU can output, look at the sticker on the side with the different voltage rails.
    Take the +12V rail and multiple the voltage (i.e. 12) by the amps on that rail (it should be 18A) and that will give you the maximum that PSU is rated to output on that rail. This won't take into consideration age but it's the simplest way to get an estimate.
    The only other way to check how much power your PSU is capable of delivering is buy some very, very expensive equipment that can put a full load on the PSU and measure how it copes with that load/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Limericks wrote: »
    ...the 8800 could use 300+ watts at load while the 7850 will use about 80-90.

Is 300W the total system power consumption?

It's a good quality PSU: It should still battle on a few more years and the power consumption of a 7850 on it is nothing to worry about.

Fluffy88 wrote: »

As for the total your PSU can output, look at the sticker on the side with the different voltage rails.
    Take the +12V rail and multiple the voltage (i.e. 12) by the amps on that rail (it should be 18A) and that will give you the maximum that PSU is rated to output on that rail. This won't take into consideration age but it's the simplest way to get an estimate.
    The only other way to check how much power your PSU is capable of delivering is buy some very, very expensive equipment that can put a full load on the PSU and measure how it copes with that load/

Yeah I actually know about that but what I wanted to know was it's maximum output power 'now', considering the age, and whatever else that one should consider :P Thanks anyway man. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

They do degrade a little bit with age if they are very heavily used. However, a good 450W PSU will be enough for an average system with a 7850.
    Even assuming a generous degradation of 10%, it should still be as capable as a 550W unit.

If you had it running 24-hours for six years straight, I'd be a bit more worried but it was a good quality unit when it came out and even though there are more efficient units available now, I think it will still last another while until you do a full rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I've had a second hand 500W Enermax Liberty powering my system daily since 2006 without any trouble. According to a sticker on the PSU its "P4 Prescott Ready!".

Currently running an i5, 4GB ram, 3 hard drives, HD5850, and as many external peripherals as I can connect via USB.

Monotype wrote: »
    They do degrade a little bit with age if they are very heavily used. However, a good 450W PSU will be enough for an average system with a 7850.
    Even assuming a generous degradation of 10%, it should still be as capable as a 550W unit.

If you had it running 24-hours for six years straight, I'd be a bit more worried but it was a good quality unit when it came out and even though there are more efficient units available now, I think it will still last another while until you do a full rebuild.

That's great to hear. Exactly the answer I'm looking for. Thank you. Although if I was calculating for my whole system I'll just say that I have 500W :P Yeah, I'm a little paranoid. Lol. Thanks again. :)

• Advertisement

Fluffy88 wrote: »

That's great. I've calculated my approximate usage and I've taken the extreme at things that I am not sure of(e.g. the Hard Drive selection, not sure if 7200rpm was regular or high speed so I chose high speed. Not sure if my fans were high end or not but I chose high end anyway.) and I've gotten a result of 496W so I think I'm good. :D Thank you guys so much.

Advertisement