Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with PTZ

Options
  • 27-06-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Got a DVr from one co. and a PTZ camera from another. Can't get them to work together. Camera works but PTZ doesn't. Anyone in Sligo area that could help?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved to Home Security Systems.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What make is the camera & what protocols are on it?
    Same question re the DVR?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Check that protocols baud rates etc match up.
    It's fairly straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

Camera is PTZ500 form Henry's and DVR is Storage Options 500gb. The Camera is set at Pelco-D and 2400Baud. So DVR is same. The cable is 20M. BNC + power + audio combined. I have cut the ends of the audio.
    They worked fine when I connected them in Living room, but when I put the camera outside the PTZ will not work. Power and Video are Ok. I have soldered the outside joints, so do not think it's a bad connection. Is it possible to tell if there is a signal on the DVR's RS-485 port?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

How long is the cable run, could be volt drop. Anyway it points to a cable issue

• Advertisement

20 meters- 1 piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

Do you have a telemetry pair connected to the Ptz or is it being coax driven

Don't know what a "telemetry pair" is. As I say it is 1 cable with BNC and power and Audio. The Audio is like Bell wire, 2 of them.

Are you sure that pair is not your telemetry?
    If so also bear in mind its polarity must be correct.

seanoge wrote: »
    Don't know what a "telemetry pair" is. As I say it is 1 cable with BNC and power and Audio. The Audio is like Bell wire, 2 of them.
    Sorry telemetry is the movement of the camera some times there is the power the coax and the another pair that is connected to the ptz. That pair is the link between the DVR and the ptz which tells the ptz what way to move. What way did you have it connected when you tested it in the living room

• Advertisement

Koolkid
    Are you talking about the Auido pair being the telemetry pair.

Koolkid
    I'm just curious as to what that pair is . If there is no telemetry connected it would explain a lot.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Koolkid
    I'm just curious as to what that pair is . If there is no telemetry connected it would explain a lot.
    That's what I was think and asked was it coax driven if it is coax driven he needs to change the protocol to coax instead of pelco d

Yeah, curious as to what way he had it set up when it was working.
    Some pics would be good.

Before I bough it I asked Henry's for one cable that had Power, BNC and PTZ. They supplied me with the a cable, BNC Power and 2 wire Audio and advised that I cut the plugs off the Audio. I just wanted to be sure everything worked before I installed it(Ladder work). I phoned Henrys and they said the camera was very easy to set up and they were right. So had it working in Living room, was a bit jerky but put this down to cable being coiled. Installed, run 20M. cable now no PTZ. The DVR is also new but I do not know who to turn to - the camera people or the DVR people.

Sorry forgot, swapped wires but no luck.

Are the two audio wires connected to anything or just spare

So to clarify.
    How many separate connections are on the camera?

There is obviously power
    Then there is BNC for video
    and then audio? can you post a pic of this?
    Is there a separate telemetry connection on the camera?

I don't know what a 'Telemetry' connection is. From the camera are - Bnc, Power and 2 wires for PTZ. Can't post photos as camera is 6 meters up on the wall. Instructions are in bad English. But even to a Layman it was easy to connect.

2 wires for PTZ is telemetry. Is this wired on a twisted pair?

• Advertisement

Yes, 2 twisted wires. I connected to the camera with plastic connectors. When that didn't work I soldered them.

seanoge wrote: »
    Yes, 2 twisted wires. I connected to the camera with plastic connectors. When that didn't work I soldered them.
    That should not be necessary.Hope you didn't do any harm.
    So what was the audio cable you were referring to?

The 2 twisted wires are the Audio cable with the connectors cut off.

ok. And the audio cable was twisted pair with connectors already in place.
    What did he tell you those connectors were for?

I am really at a loss here without some visuals.

I presume it was cable for a camera with audio capabilities . There was a phono plug on each end and they sad to cut hem off and it worked. But not now. Was thinking of running a new 2 core cable. Would Bell wire suit?

Are you sure that cable is twisted pair? It doesn't sound like it.
    Get yourself some Cat 5

Ok, just had a look at Cat5 cable. What would I do with this? On the DVR there are only 3 connections - 485A , 485B and GND.

Telemetry + & - on DVR to + & - on camera.

Sorry KoolKid, you are talking to a Layman. Don't know what all the means.

• Advertisement

Like I said. Some visuals would help. The telemetry should be marked + & - (positive & negative) both at the DVR & the Camera. The twisted pair simply connects from one to the other. It must be twisted pair.
    Again what way was this connected when you had it working inside?

Advertisement