Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with PTZ

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

Exactly the same except I used plastic connectors. The problem was working outside off a ladder and rain expected(Sligo) I thought I had the connectors wrong so I soldered them. The wires from the camera are about 30cm. long so no chance of damage when soldering as was outside. Will post photos tomorrow. Thanks for staying with it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It would appear its either the cable or a problem with those connections.

Here are 2 photos. Looks the same at camera end.IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That lead in the image would not be suitable for a telemetry connection. Use twisted pair.

So I just ask for 20 meters Twisted pair? Can get some tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Did you not say you had some cat5?

No, as wouldn't know what it looks like.

Oh Ok. Im probably getting mixed up from another thread.
    Yeah get a length of Cat5 and try that.

Sorry, bit ignorant on this but Cat5 seems to have a LOT of wires. Why use that?

Its good cable and its a short run. What do you want to use?

• Advertisement

Not sure but now that it's probably the cable will have a word with the local electrical supplier and see what he recommends. He also sells cctv but is expensive. Will keep you posted. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

seanoge wrote: »
    Not sure but now that it's probably the cable will have a word with the local electrical supplier and see what he recommends. He also sells cctv but is expensive. Will keep you posted. Thanks.

Where abouts are you? I have loads of spare Cat5 I could give you.

Sligo Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

seanoge wrote: »
    Sligo Town.

Other side of the country in afraid.

Off you go Fred....:D

Installed Cats 5 but same problem. Need to find out if it's the DVR or the camera as both under guarantee. Any Ideas?

To diagnose which you would need another camera or another DVR .

Or get a meter with PTZ control.

Brought camera indoors today and connected straight to DVR but no response.
    There is a firm in Sligo that installs CCTV so will ask them to test the camera.

Friend came up from Mayo today with a Sentient(Maplin) DVR and it works on that. Looks like I will have to get onto Storage Options.

Same settings & protocols , yeah?

• Advertisement

Yes, exactly the same. Will check my wiring into the DVR tomorrow to make sure it's not me. Very fiddly.

Strange. When I first got the Storage Options DVR and applied power to the PTZ camera it did a 180 degree scan automatically but at the end it would turn only a couple of degrees.
    When connected to the Sentinel it performed the full 180". Later when connected to the SO it went back to a full turn. and works Ok on both machines. Was something corrupted and the Sentinel sorted it out. It was not my wiring as tried lots of different combinations.
    Alls well that ends well.
    The Storage Options is not good with the camera turning, terrible jerky picture, the Sentinel is a bit better.
    Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted.

Well, still can't get it to work with DVR controller. So bought a hand held controller and it works fine except for one important detail. It does not return to 0º Tilt. I can push the camera back to a Hard Stop, then when I move it 10º then back again it stops just short of the Hard Stop. Move it to 40º and back it stops a bit further away from the Hard Stop and turn to 90º and back it stops even further away. We are talking about 5 mm. This means when I zoom in I am looking at the ground a short distance away instead of looking horizontal.
    Need advice as guarantee is up soon.

Sounds like it could be the unit.
    Is there anything on it designed to set pan & tilt limitations?

I think it must be the unit. No presets. When I was in London a couple of weeks ago I took the camera to Henry's cctv where I bought it. Their man took the cover off and said this is how it is meant to be. I believed him till I got home and knowing it had been opened, I opened it again and you can see two opposite stops. It reaches one but not the other. If the camera doesn't go to 0º then there must be something wrong. It is still under guarantee but want to be sure of my ground before I send it back.

Just to recap, I can push camera to "0" which is a Hard Stop.. Then If I turn camera 10 degrees and then turn back it will stop just short of the Hard Stop. If I turn 40 degrees and turn back it stops further from the Hard Stop and If I turn the full 90 degrees it will be further away still from Hard Stop.

Have uploaded 2 photos . The 1st. is position with hand and where it will return (sometimes) so long as I don't turn the full 90º.
    The 2nd is where in normally stops, just short but makes a big difference.
    Anybody? Help!

I'm only seeing one picture. It still seems like its the unit that's at fault to be honest.

• Advertisement

Problem uploading other photo. Trying again. Got it.

Advertisement