Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I a good father ?

Options
  • 27-06-2012 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

What makes a good father?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Not being crazy helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I've been a stay at home dad for the last eight years. A good dad spends time with his kids. That's all they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I've been a stay at home dad for the last eight years. A good dad spends time with his kids. That's all they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I think to be a good father takes the exact same skillset as being a good brother, lover, human being. Being kind and considerate and understanding and patient, being honest and true and gentle and firm when needs be. Always ensuring you are taking good care of yourself so that you can be strong for the ones you love. Keeping an open mind and heart, so that when times are tough you can be there for one another.

I'm a dad and I've the best friends and family to support me, in the end it comes down to me to be a good dad. I have probably the same doubts and worries as any other parent and that's ok---not worrying would be a bad sign!

If ever I question am I a good father all I have to do is remember the thousand times my child has laughed out loud when I tell a funny joke or come to me with open arms for a cuddle.

For me, those moments really capture what being a parent means--to be there.

Klingon, sorry for going off topic, but I just wanted to say that your posts about your son always makes me smile :)

Sometimes fathers (and mothers) can't be there all the time, and that's ok, but I think putting your kids first is the main thing really. No two parents are the same. What makes one person a great father, might not be the same for another :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

I think for dads and Mams patience really is a virtue. We all hurry through life and sometimes don't listen to the little voice standing next to us sayin something ultra cute. I find myself saying ok slow down, sit down and try listening and enjoy. There's no hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

I think for dads and Mams patience really is a virtue. We all hurry through life and sometimes don't listen to the little voice standing next to us sayin something ultra cute. I find myself saying ok slow down, sit down and try listening and enjoy. There's no hurry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

A good dad spends time with his kids. That's all they want.

That's a very sweeping statement.

Children need lots of things and sometimes a father HAS to sacrifice time with his kids to provide for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Agree with gloomtastic spend time with your son / daughter, that's what I aim for and like everybody else I am not perfect but work on it day by day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

By the way OP your post title says "am i a good father", is there something your doing which makes you think you might not be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

As a Father , this is a question that comes to my mind often.

I can say that being a Father has been the most fulfilling / fun / frustrating thing ever.

Having a 6YO who always seems pleased to see me , and now a nearly 1YO squeal with joy when I come home from work and crawl at high speed towards me is all the confirmation I need .

OP , if you enjoy having the kids around , don't find them a chore ( well sometimes you get tired and wish bedtime would come ) , and have FUN with them then I reckon the answer is yes.

Enjoy the time with them , I have seen it with the 6YO , blink and you miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

So long as you're not like mine was: Violent, hidings for no reason - seems he didn't need a reason. That's why I decided never to have children, I didn't want to risk passing on that gene. Just be kind and gentle with your kids, teach them to be kind to others ad to animals. You sound like a good Dad.

Advertisement