Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court fees for parking fines / general debt

Options
  • 27-06-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I have a number of parking fines that have gone through court (I was not in attendance so they went ahead with prosecution in my absence) and been increased to EUR230 a piece for each offence. I got myself into a mess when I lived in Galway city centre without a parking permit and ended up getting loads of fines.

While I paid most off, I clearly missed a few and was told by the new occupant of my old apartment I had these letters. I only have 2 at the mo, and have emailed NPO to see if I have any more.

It is way past the due date of March 30th to pay these fines so I'm really worried a bench warrant could have been sent out and I was completely unaware.

Any advice on how I should proceed, considering I barely make more than I would if I were on social welfare. I would definitely let them seize the car in question as payment as I don't use it any more... I caused myself enough grief with it.

Further to above, I have debt totalling EUR1700 to a number of companies (small student loan, esb, o2). ESB & O2 have reached debt collection stage and are threatening legal proceedings. I'm going into MABS in the morning to see how to go about this, but I am worried something else will go through court and the judge will know I have thrown all of these obligations aside and not look too keenly on me.

Can anyone offer advice on cornerstone or other debt management companies as a solution to this until I get a better job! 2 interviews next week so here's hoping.

Advice on the garda situation is what I need mostly... don't think jail is a place I want to be.

Any help greatly appreciated, apologies for the long message.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

MABS are good for financial advice.

For legal, I suggest you drop into or call your local Free Legal Advice Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mrhollaful wrote: »
    Can anyone offer advice on cornerstone or other debt management companies as a solution to this until I get a better job!
    They seem like a commercial operation, who are out to make money. That doesn't nmean that they are bad, just that the money you pay them could be going towards your debts. I would be cautious before following such a route.

One suggesiton I would have is if you have a second bank account, put €50 a week (or whatever you can afford) into it and keep that money for dealing with these issues. Or indeed pay it directly to the ESB or 02.

Advertisement