Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

meh.. looks like one of those cheap iPad clones - some of which, like the Ainol's are getting pretty good and a lot cheaper than this will be?

"Quad Core" - so? I haven't seen my SGS2 and now Galaxy Note get stressed yet by anything I've thrown at it. Marketing spin.

Also massive bezel is massive which is funny cause one of them talks about the "end to end" display. If it actually WAS end to end (and bigger than 7") I might be more impressed... but then I'm looking at it from using a 5.3" as it is.

That's just me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    meh.. looks like one of those cheap iPad clones

Are you joking?

ipad 2 - 1024*768 - dual core - $499
    Google tablet - 1280*800 - quad core - $199

I'll finally be buying a tablet so :)

Buying a $99 device and paying $499 for it has never been something I could bare to do. Apples are not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I dont see the problem with the bezel since I need to actually hold it comfortably. Edge to edge screens dont make sense for anything you want to read on unless you create a dead space on the borders.
    And multi-cores can be a lot more beneficial (when used properly). Operations spread out over 4 cores is better for your battery then 2 cores doing the same at higher frequency(and using more power in the process)
    4 men can pull a cart easier and for longer then 2 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Also massive bezel is massive.

Agreed, it's small to begin with. The google presentation said it is very responsive, that's good because you will be doing alot more screen manipulation that is for sure. I would never have bought it anyway because I don't see the point of 7" tablets, considering the level phones are at. I would always go for 10".
    I watched a hands on with the google nexus, there was no memory expansion slot on the 8gig one. I can't believe that. I guess google are trying to lock people into using their google play or other services they have. 8gig/16gig storage? I'm sorry, that is absolute tripe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's a nice looking tablet but I'm not really a fan of 7" tablets. I'd go with a 10" one myself. Lack of expandable storage is a big turn off for me as well.

• Advertisement

It's a nice looking tablet but I'm not really a fan of 7" tablets. I'd go with a 10" one myself.

I was set to go for a 10" because none of the 7" ones had a decent resolution. One has now though!

I'm just glad I haven't bought any tablet yet. None of the tablets for sale until now would have ticked the box for me. Decent spec, way overpriced? Nah. Low resolution, reasonable price? Nah.

Great resolution, reasonable price? Jay :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

unkel wrote: »
    I was set to go for a 10" because none of the 7" ones had a decent resolution. One has now though!

I'm just glad I haven't bought any tablet yet. None of the tablets for sale until now would have ticked the box for me. Decent spec, way overpriced? Nah. Low resolution, reasonable price? Nah.

Great resolution, reasonable price? Jay :)

I have to admit it is a cracking price. Hopefully, they're firing these things off the assembly line. Should bring a nice bit of competition.

I hope they market it right.
    Google have a bad habit of relying on nerd word of mouth to spread good word instead of marketing things properly (well until it has a foothold then they market it)

Google have a bad habit of relying on nerd word of mouth to spread good word

Like in here? :D

Like in here? :D

Pretty much. Christ Im one of their head preachers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

what happened to nexus 1 through 6

Pretty much. Christ Im one of their head preachers :pac:

Well we will just have to live with the fact that millions of eejits pay silly money for inferior devices :D

bpb101 wrote: »

I imagine they figured a 1" tablet wouldn't sell very well.

bpb101 wrote: »

Nexus One

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

I imagine they figured a 1" tablet wouldn't sell very well.
    good point never noticed its a 7in tab
    so what do they called the sec gen
    nextus 7II

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I've been holding off buying a 7" tablet (my preferred tablet size) as I thought the current offerings were poor. My HTC One X had quad core, so I wasn't going to buy a tablet with less cores and less resolution on the screen. This tablet definitely hits the sweet spot on price and features!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

With THD games it will be a killer gaming device and its alot cheaper than a ps vita with better battery life too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

beno619 wrote: »
    With THD games it will be a killer gaming device and its alot cheaper than a ps vita with better battery life too.

Kinda agree and disagree - depends on type of games, some games (IMO) are tougher with touch controls, e.g. GTA Chinatown is easier to control on DS/3DS than on IPad

Back on topic.....
    I like the look of the device and that they are trying to be price competitive is great use for consumers. However 7" is that awkward middle ground, it's too big for a pocket but it's not big enough (IMO) to read things like magazines etc.

I presume that cause it's android you would share all your apps etc? I've an Ipad that doesn't talk to my old Android phone.........or at least I don't know how to anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

When will it be available over here? The Kindle Fire never made it outside the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

According to clove the £159 is excluding VAT http://www.clove.co.uk/nexus-7 bringing the price up to £190.80 and £238.80 for the 16gb :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

No sd-card means it's an utter fail for me. For the sake of a few cents worth of components that's just ridiculous. And no, I don't want to depend on the cloud thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Over the last year I've looked at how my friends and family use their ipads/android tablets. None, i repeat, none of them ever ever took the tab outside the house and none ever ever used the sd card.

Some of them have nas drives, others just share from a laptop drive so getting extra space was never a problem. Throw in cloud space and I doubt they would ever miss the sd card.

tablets are primarily media consuming devices - they need to be connected to the net and if they are then why do they need much local storage.

I was firmly in the boat that an sd card was a requirement. Now I'm not so sure.
    No sd-card means it's an utter fail for me. For the sake of a few cents worth of components that's just ridiculous. And no, I don't want to depend on the cloud thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

elderlemon wrote: »
    Over the last year I've looked at how my friends and family use their ipads/android tablets. None, i repeat, none of them ever ever took the tab outside the house and none ever ever used the sd card.

Some of them have nas drives, others just share from a laptop drive so getting extra space was never a problem. Throw in cloud space and I doubt they would ever miss the sd card.

tablets are primarily media consuming devices - they need to be connected to the net and if they are then why do they need much local storage.

I was firmly in the boat that an sd card was a requirement. Now I'm not so sure.

Ya i was the same with my samsung galaxy nexus. what? no Micro SD Slot! What?

It has made zero difference to my use of the device at all and it hasnt missed a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

We're moving to a more connected world, people are going to have to get used to no SD cards sooner or later as it's going to become the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Actually I think having an SD card on a phone is a little different. We carry our phones with us all the time so having lots of space for music, documents etc is great. Maybe in the future when we have cheap roaming we can stay connected all the time but right now we can't.

tablets on the other hand rarely make it outside the home. yes there are exceptions but the norm is that they sit in kitchens or living rooms and stay connected to the home wifi 24/7.

You don't even need to download music onto tablets now. Either store it on the nas drive or upload it to google music (if we had it in this country) or some other service. Same with photos and video. These are the major space consumers.
    listermint wrote: »

It has made zero difference to my use of the device at all and it hasnt missed a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I have a Fire and the lack of SD card is a nightmare.
    1) No Amazon store over here so cant consume from the cloud (without rooting for play store)
    2) USB transfer is slower than usb 1.0 standard. The usb chip they used is completely ****e. it took me over 20 mins to transfer a 179mb video.
    3) Doesnt support upnp\dnla so cant stream to it from a NAS.

So i just use it as an ebook reader, the occasional web browsing and for the young lad to every now and again watch the couple of cartoons i did copy onto it.
    but as a tablet it is rubbish.

Scruff wrote: »
    I have a Fire and the lack of SD card is a nightmare.
    1) No Amazon store over here so cant consume from the cloud (without rooting for play store)
    2) USB transfer is slower than usb 1.0 standard. The usb chip they used is completely ****e. it took me over 20 mins to transfer a 179mb video.
    3) Doesnt support upnp\dnla so cant stream to it from a NAS.

So i just use it as an ebook reader, the occasional web browsing and for the young lad to every now and again watch the couple of cartoons i did copy onto it.
    but as a tablet it is rubbish.

The Kindle Fire is well known for being rubbish anyway ;)

Designed & Manufactured in 4 months and being sold at cost O_o
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/28/3122811/nexus-7-manufacturing-cost-design-time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Plus one on that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

No news of availability in Ireland. Amazon don't have them either. It's going to be another fiasco with €199 device now sold for €250 because.. "what are you going to do about it? we charge what we want and we do know you have no other options!". Come on Amazon.. They are obviously busy making their own Kindle Fire (I do think it's on fire now since this is out in few weeks in UK and US) available in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Will this only be available through the Google Play store or will they be available in regular shops too?

I'm heading to America in early August and would love to pick one up for $199(plus tax)!

Will this only be available through the Google Play store or will they be available in regular shops too?

I'm heading to America in early August and would love to pick one up for $199(plus tax)!

pick one up for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Should be able to pick them up in the north from carphone warehouse or use deliverme.ie
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-uk-availability/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

Alright.. That's good news. Glad to hear that. Can't believe they did include GPS. I remember a year back for same price there was some Archos single core TFT half-ass made device with no camera no GPS, no sensors and Android 2.1 if am not mistaken (or was it 1.6 or smt). Now we have ASUS made Google Android 4.1 powered device with IPS display, camera, gyroscope, GPS etc. Now that's value!
    beno619 wrote: »
    Should be able to pick them up in the north from carphone warehouse or use deliverme.ie
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-uk-availability/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Any idea from the specs if the screen will perform well outdoors

• Advertisement

k123456 wrote: »
    Any idea from the specs if the screen will perform well outdoors

IPS display so should be fine outdoors. Direct sunlight always gonna be an issue though.
    /looks outside
    Not that thats a common issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Are you joking?

I'll finally be buying a tablet so :)

Buying a $99 device and paying $499 for it has never been something I could bare to do. Apples are not for me.

I said "looks like" :) as in physical appearance. I know the spec is higher - but as I said I think a lot of that in marketing hype when there are few apps that test even the top-end of the last gen models (Galaxy s2 etc) never mind these new "Quad Core" versions :)

I stand by the rest though. OK so it's cheap but it LOOKS cheap too in my opinion. If I was buying a tablet I'd want a 10" myself. With the Galaxy Note, S3 and One X pushing or (exceeding) the 5" mark anyway there's not much extra value in a 7" to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Yes, makes no difference to you. However there are plenty of people who are not you. I use sd cards all the time, as do virtually everyone I know including my 70 year old parents with their android tablet and phones.
    Comments such as the world is going online are utterly ridiculous and completely irrelevent to use-cases such as these, especially when as I've already noted, it would cost just a few pence to include it.

Paying 50 or more euros for 8gig extra built-in storage is daylight robbery when class10 storage can be got for a euro a gig, that's a 500% markup. And what happens when you want more than 16gig ? My music collection is over 170gig, my parents small one is 20gig. What about when they go on holiday and want a few movies to watch and there's no wifi or cloud ?

There is absolutely no reason not to include basic features such as sdcard readers except for sheer money-grabbing greed on the part of manufacturers, it's certainly not done for our benefit.

I said "looks like" :) as in physical appearance. I know the spec is higher - but as I said I think a lot of that in marketing hype when there are few apps that test even the top-end of the last gen models (Galaxy s2 etc) never mind these new "Quad Core" versions :)

I stand by the rest though. OK so it's cheap but it LOOKS cheap too in my opinion. If I was buying a tablet I'd want a 10" myself. With the Galaxy Note, S3 and One X pushing or (exceeding) the 5" mark anyway there's not much extra value in a 7" to me

For people who want a 7" though it's hard to argue against it, it's an Asus, Asus stuff is cheap but always good quality and the price point will help it penetrate an ipad filled sector.

I think I'm going to get one myself, 7" suits me more than a 10" at the minute as I'd plan on carrying it around quite a bit but for a home one I'd probably wait for the Transformer Infinity.

draffodx wrote: »
    For people who want a 7" though it's hard to argue against it, it's an Asus, Asus stuff is cheap but always good quality and the price point will help it penetrate an ipad filled sector.

I think I'm going to get one myself, 7" suits me more than a 10" at the minute as I'd plan on carrying it around quite a bit but for a home one I'd probably wait for the Transformer Infinity.

I never found Asus that cheap (although they are the most reliable laptop brand)
    You sure youre not mixing them up with Acer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

I am an apple fan but I think this is a great offer from google and would consider giving it a try. However I am still left with one MAJOR issue and that is the lack of availability in Ireland (on release) and even more than this the lack of google play services here also.

Say what you like about Apple but they offer their products and more importantly their related app, book, music and films here in Ireland. This is like the Kindle all over again in my opinion the specs and price might be very good but the device is redundant without full access to the range of apps, films etc etc. And all this from a company based here.

And what happens when you want more than 16gig ?

You use the cloud.
    My music collection is over 170gig, my parents small one is 20gig.

The cloud will host all of them if you wish and you can hold up to 16 gigs of the one's you want when you can't connect to the cloud, 16 gigs of music would be loads for most people between connections to the cloud.
    What about when they go on holiday and want a few movies to watch and there's no wifi or cloud ?

You can download from the cloud to the device and watch offline.
    There is absolutely no reason not to include basic features such as sdcard readers except for sheer money-grabbing greed on the part of manufacturers, it's certainly not done for our benefit.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point and agree with you but for a lot of people it's not an issue, for those that it is there are other tablet options.
    I never found Asus that cheap (although they are the most reliable laptop brand)
    You sure youre not mixing them up with Acer?

Nope, I was looking at Asus laptops awhile ago and they seemed to be cheap for what you got compared to Samsung, Sony laptops with the same spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lemon_grass

Are you joking?

iPad 2 is now $399.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Snap! I was just about to ask the exact same thing. I'm heading to the US in August and really want to pick this up. I wonder if I could order it before I leave and get it delivered to the hotel? Hmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

I have a Kindle Fire and the weight of the thing is very heavy for its size. While its good value I find reading magazines a pain, as the pages dont fit the screen unless you get the digital editions of Time etc.

The Nexus looks really good and light as well but the 7" screen wont suit everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

One other thing about the Kindle Fire that will be an issue here is the lack of SD card slot. 8GB on the Kindle gets really eaten up with any kind of video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Is there an actual legitimate reason why we cannot get the tablet in Ireland? Surely the country's infrastructure is almost identical to the UK. Is it something legal? I know many of the play store options aren't available but is this Googles choice or the choice of law makers in the country? I remember reading something similar about netflix having huge difficulties acquiring licences and the likes when they were starting in Ireland. Their selection still isn't a patch on that of its us counterpart. Sam applies to such services as spotify and last fm. What's the deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Don't forget this is a Nexus device. So it will get Android updates direct from Google for the next two years. Not to mention the added benefit of other ROMS like CyanogenMod.

Still like many others have said, I've a personal preference for a larger 10". 7" is just too close to current phone screen sizes like the Note, HTC One, S3 etc. That might not be the case for everybody.

pedatron wrote: »
    Is there an actual legitimate reason why we cannot get the tablet in Ireland? Surely the country's infrastructure is almost identical to the UK. Is it something legal? I know many of the play store options aren't available but is this Googles choice or the choice of law makers in the country? I remember reading something similar about netflix having huge difficulties acquiring licences and the likes when they were starting in Ireland. Their selection still isn't a patch on that of its us counterpart. Sam applies to such services as spotify and last fm. What's the deal?

Our licensing laws havnt been properly updated in years so are red tape roadblocks so these companies. And I dont see their update being a government priority since I dont see a technology literate person in there.
    Our Data Protection Commissioner declaring the household charge website was secure because "it has them squiggly line capthcas" (Actual quote) sealed that opinion to me :(

Our licensing laws havnt been properly updated in years so are red tape roadblocks so these companies. And I dont see their update being a government priority since I dont see a technology literate person in there.
    Our Data Protection Commissioner declaring the household charge website was secure because "it has them squiggly line capthcas" (Actual quote) sealed that opinion to me :(

It's crazy that international companies have made Ireland a technological hub and yet our government haven't a clue about how to bring Ireland up to scratch with the technological age, the broadband roll out, digital license laws, the "sopa" debacle, its a joke, the country has huge potential and is always let down by those chosen to run it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement