Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Interestingly after rooting my device I installed my usual apps including Titanium Backup. Looking through the list I see Google Play Books, Google Play Magazines, Google Play Movies, Google Wallet and Sound Search for Google Play (Google Ears) but they are all frozen i.e. hidden from the normal system. Using TB I unfroze them which added them to my application list though unsurprisingly I got the usual this isn't available in your country yet though the application themselves did open.

I was able to add the Google Ears widget to my home-screen and that successfully recognised a few songs I played, though you can't then open up that song in Play Store. Hopefully though once Google gets its act together and adds more stuff to their Irish store then it then an update could simply activate these apps (and maybe give us our free money!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Hmmm... my nexus has successfully connected to two secure wifi networks now! I assume my android account for my phone has somehow synchronized with the cloud the remembered passwords? Only explanation I can think of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Based on how slow Apple, Amazon and others were/are in securing digital distributions rights for Ireland even compared to the UK I wouldn't be expecting anything soon via Play. Seemingly Irish law and market size makes the return on time and effort for companies a mare.

I have one problem since obtaining the Nexus 7, having to revert to my iPad to type this as I am charging it. Honestly I'm hardy using the iPad since I picked up the Nexus on Thursday.

I seriously don't know what the hype and viral vids were about on the unboxing front, I'd mine open in under a minute. I was surprised when setting mine up that not only did it automatically add my contacts and such from my google account but also automatically added the wifi accounts I'd used on other android devices including the wifi passwords.

• Advertisement

I've even stated using chrome on the iPad lately, the only one minor gripe I have with chrome on the Nexus is I cant find a shortcut to jump back to the top of the page.

I don't think google remembered the wifi settings from my android phone, I know when I was setting up a HTC flyer I had to re-enter router settings but this time around I didn't so maybe it's taking them for the other android tablet.

I'm used to using HTC tablets and phones and miss the sync all widget, anyone know something similar I can put on the Nexus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Has anyone else opened the case to tighten the screws. My cover is slightly loose and I'm assuming this is what I've heard mentioned about them... It's not that annoying or anything but if it's not a big job to fix it I may as well

Other than than that have to say I'm loving it. My phone feels so cramped now though when I go to text :-\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Try Zinio for magazines. I use it on my A500 the whole time (its the main use my tablet gets :pac:)

Exact same as mine just on the left side... Not really a big issue but I'll see how it pans out... As you said probably better off not voiding my warranty on the first day with it :P

• Advertisement

Anyone rooted yet? I'm considering it strongly, as ads are píssing me off already. :o I feel kinda dirty rooting it less then 72 hours after buying it though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Whats my quickest method for getting one of these ? Are they available in any shops like Harvey Normans or should I just pre order online :confused:

GrumPy wrote: »
    Anyone rooted yet? I'm considering it strongly, as ads are píssing me off already. :o I feel kinda dirty rooting it less then 72 hours after buying it though. :pac:

Going to look into it this evening... Should have done it sooner because it's going to wipe the tablet clean... It's never too soon to root if ya ask me :P, I feel dirty for not rooting inside the first day tbh :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

What apps or how are these ads coming up?

What apps or how are these ads coming up?

Ads inside chrome. Browsing boards for example. Doing my head in.

Also just unlocked/rooted mine... fairly easy process using the Toolkit.
    If your going to do it, do it early as you have to reset back to factory setting so you will lose apps etc (there is a backup option included in the toolkit though for your apps). Have it backed up now with CWM as well just in case :)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Also just unlocked/rooted mine... fairly easy process using the Toolkit.
    If your going to do it, do it early as you have to reset back to factory setting so you will lose apps etc (there is a backup option included in the toolkit though for your apps). Have it backed up now with CWM as well just in case :)

:D
    What's the battery life like?

Try Zinio for magazines. I use it on my A500 the whole time (its the main use my tablet gets :pac:)

-_-

:pac:

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    What's the battery life like?

Haven't really had chance to fully test the battery as it's been plugged into my comp for quite a bit but from playing a few games (testing tegra 3), bluetoothing apks from phone and usual browsing/editing etc I can't see additional extra battery loss/gain.

Just doing a current backup before trying out the tablet UI, ridiculous decision from Google to have the same UI as a phone as not taking advantage of extra screen space.

Unfortunately all this testing is going towards my next Nexus 7 as mine is suffering from all the issues that have been widely noticed from a batch of the early ones.

Backlight Bleeding: x22i8s.jpg

Screen and Bezel not matching along the left hand side leading to creaking noises when pressed.

The above I can actually live with but the main issue is with my screen brightness. I need to have it at max at all times and even then certain areas of the screen of really dark (along the top). I can't leave it on Auto Brightness as if it goes to the lowest level the screen goes 100% dark.

With the lack of devices around I don't know when/if I'll be able to get a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Anyone know what the full charge time is? It seems to be very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

The screen on mine had that same sponginess on the left hand side - when I put it to my ear I could hear the glue sticking and unsticking as I pressed the screen. I'd imagine it would get worse as the device got hotter with extended usage so I brought it back for a refund - I'll probably give it another go when the manufacturing issues are sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Briefly. Nexus 7 is my third android device but first I have considered changing the stock launcher to avail of some landscape orientation goodness. I narrowed it down to APEX and NOVA

D/L'd both and launched first from homescreen and has a mooch.... then launched second from homescreen and fiddled some more. Clearly worth some further consideration but I decided to revert to stock for the time being

Okay.... how the hell do I do that??.... goggled like crazy and eventually discovered an ICS tutorial which stated going to

setting>apps>manage>find current launcher in use and select CLEAR DEFAULTS, thing is on both launchers CLEAR DEFAULTS is greyed out and I got me quite the scare thinking I had borked the 7 with 7 hours of getting it.

My only option was to uninstall APEX (which was current) then it turned on NOVA (also with greyed out clear defaults) uninstalled that one and was thankful to get back to my fully customised stock launcher.

So what the hell went wrong. I'd love to have another go and preferably to be able to switch / toggle between STOCK and APEX when the mood suits, but having to un/reinstall would make that a non starter

HELPS?!?!?.....

If neither has any defaults stored then just pressing the home button should being up a selection box asking which you want to use.
    Otherwise its always the clear defaults option for launcher or the new one(pex, Nova etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

If neither has any defaults stored then just pressing the home button should being up a selection box asking which you want to use.
    Otherwise its always the clear defaults option for launcher or the new one(pex, Nova etc)

Wow just wow!!.... I managed to prick around for like two hours earlier this morning without once actually pressing the home button!!.... just using back and switch app buttons. Just D/L'd it again and that is working great now.... cheers Chinholio, granted I feel like a plank but thanks anyhoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭MrGarak

After paying for it only a couple of weeks ago.. :rolleyes:

I think I got a free sentry gun or something so maybe it's to reimburse me, did anyone with the free version get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭kave2

Anyone got Play Movies, Books, Magazines apps on their Nexus 7? I don't have them, which is very strange. They are on my galaxy nexus. I know they don't work in Ireland but still kinda weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Why go for the nexus 7 instead of the galaxy tab 7? Is there much difference?

• Advertisement

Im a bigger fan of Nova then Apex, purely for the reason to create folders in the app drawer instead of just custom tabs (which it also has)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Wi-Fi Media lets your Nexus 7 play movies on any screen via HTC's Media Link HD (hands-on video)

www.engadget.com/2012/07/21/wi-fi-media-lets-your-nexus-7-play-movies-on-any-screen-via-htc/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

god's toy wrote: »
    Wi-Fi Media lets your Nexus 7 play movies on any screen via HTC's Media Link HD (hands-on video)

www.engadget.com/2012/07/21/wi-fi-media-lets-your-nexus-7-play-movies-on-any-screen-via-htc/

I don't see any point in that solution, doesn't let you stream off the net only content on your nexus 7, you need a HTC phone to set up the media link HD and it costs as much or more than a MK802.

Far better to get a MK802 and just control it with droidmote installed on your Nexus 7 or any other android phone or tab.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Do-more wrote: »
    I don't see any point in that solution, doesn't let you stream off the net only content on your nexus 7, you need a HTC phone to set up the media link HD and it costs as much or more than a MK802.

Far better to get a MK802 and just control it with droidmote installed on your Nexus 7 or any other android phone or tab.

Just passing along what was sent to me as an idea. As I don't have a 7 (or a HTC for that matter) I didn't know this solutions limitations. Only trying to help :rolleyes: ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

There are a few key differences. First the nexus is a pure Google device so will always be first to get the latest version of Android. The tegra chipset running the nexus is better spec than the tab. The one thing the tab has going for it is a micro SD slot. I think general consensus is the nexus would be a better buy...
    Why go for the nexus 7 instead of the galaxy tab 7? Is there much difference?

Anyone playing with the Google Now app?

Im really shocked at how good the voice recognition is. Noisy room and it still recognises my bogger accent :pac:

Anyone playing with the Google Now app?

Yeah, but since installing Nova launcher, I have to just launch it manually via the Google Voice Search app? :confused: How can I get back to it?

Also,

The last part of this video is incredible! :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Why does my google now not talk back to me? THe voice output is set to always, the sound is up. What am I missing?

5starpool wrote: »
    Why does my google now not talk back to me? THe voice output is set to always, the sound is up. What am I missing?

Set system language to US, voice language to US and under Privacy & accounts have it set to search on google.com

Set system language to US, voice language to US and under Privacy & accounts have it set to search on google.com

My system language is set to UK and voice language is also UK (i get the male voice) and the voice from google now works with mine though only with specific searches (obviously ones with cards and a few others.)

My system language is set to UK and voice language is also UK (i get the male voice) and the voice from google now works with mine though only with specific searches (obviously ones with cards and a few others.)

Never tried the UK settings. The us voice sounds much better though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi guys for any owners did you get a copy of transformers 3 with your nexus?

Never tried the UK settings. The us voice sounds much better though

• Advertisement
Advertisement