Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

[
    QUOTE=micks_address;79862314]Hi guys for any owners did you get a copy of transformers 3 with your nexus?

Nope no movie or Play credit here.[/Quote]
    I wonder if you run with a UK VPN would they be available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Is it today that HMV said they'd have stock?

Trying to remember if it's today or Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Soarer wrote: »
    Is it today that HMV said they'd have stock?

Trying to remember if it's today or Wednesday.
    They reckon Wednesday. I was in again yesterday and they said stock in their UK warehouse today arriving in store for Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I just tried it there using a UK and US proxy and I can get the full market and the film shows up in Play Movies but I'm getting an error that it's not available in my country.

How do they know? I'm using a UK VPN, turned off location settings too.

Are you starting from fresh device and new gmail account?

You would need a UK credit card to buy anything.

Yeah you def also need a UK/US credit card as well access to the Google Wallet App on your device to activate the free credit. So unfortunately there doesn't seems to be any workaround for access to the free stuff and credit.

• Advertisement

Never thought about using the VPN just to access the free stuff. Did you unfreeze the Play Movies application or just accessing it through Google Play? Do you have to "purchase" the movie to access it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

They reckon Wednesday. I was in again yesterday and they said stock in their UK warehouse today arriving in store for Wednesday

HMV Swords were pretty confident it was Thursday

Date also printed on my pre-order receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Anyone know if this is available up North? I'm up there this Friday for a couple of days, might pick one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 iscvar

Hi guys, I'm going to Newcastle on Wednesday and I was thinking on buying a Nexus 7 overthere at Argos or HMV (it seems they might have them in stock). But my concern is about the warranty with the store itself, do you know if local Dublin stores make them valid even if I bought my product from their branches in UK? or how does that work?

• Advertisement

iscvar wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm going to Newcastle on Wednesday and I was thinking on buying a Nexus 7 overthere at Argos or HMV (it seems they might have them in stock). But my concern is about the warranty with the store itself, do you know if local Dublin stores make them valid even if I bought my product from their branches in UK? or how does that work?

Typically a franchise will honor a warranty.

Argos for example, will honour a Warranty in Ireland if bought in the Uk.

Repairs and replacements are sent back locally to the UK anyway, to then be moved onto the relevant manafacturers so it makes no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Beezkneez!

Any shops doing decent cases for these yet? Want something like a kindle cover almost like a book that protects the screen and feels nice in the hand. Some of the cases on Amazon etc are huge and look mad.
    The kindle fire has some excellent cases almost like a leather book cover that doesn't take over the whole tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Beezkneez! wrote: »
    Any shops doing decent cases for these yet? Want something like a kindle cover almost like a book that protects the screen and feels nice in the hand. Some of the cases on Amazon etc are huge and look mad.
    The kindle fire has some excellent cases almost like a leather book cover that doesn't take over the whole tablet.

some cases on www.expansys.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

iscvar wrote: »

You might get a better deal at Dixons in the UK airport you are flying into.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

argos have changed the date on their website to the 30th July but you still cant preorder it or reserve it in store.

• Advertisement

What proxy/vpn did you use?

I have my US account now setup (with US credit card). I#ll have a go after work with trying to access the free stuff (the credit will be a additional bonus), as I have few idea on how to work around it but will require a bit of testing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

My wife was in Dixons in Gatwick yesterday and they said they haven't been released yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Matt_Teddy

What proxy/vpn did you use?

I have my US account now setup (with US credit card). I#ll have a go after work with trying to access the free stuff (the credit will be a additional bonus), as I have few idea on how to work around it but will require a bit of testing ;)

Let us know if you have any luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Warmzie

irishgeo wrote: »
    argos have changed the date on their website to the 30th July but you still cant preorder it or reserve it in store.

im heading in to Argos in blanch anyway today so im going to ask if i can pre order in person. i will let you guys know if you can

TheBazman wrote: »
    My wife was in Dixons in Gatwick yesterday and they said they haven't been released yet.

lol @ retail staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I tried HMV in Sligo today, and was told they will be released on Thursday, but that I couldn't pre order yet, as their systems aren't set up yet. Also, I was told HMV are getting 2000 units for the whole of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I tried HMV in Sligo today, and was told they will be released on Thursday, but that I couldn't pre order yet, as their systems aren't set up yet. Also, I was told HMV are getting 2000 units for the whole of Ireland.

I rang HMV in Cork earlier, and was told that only the big Dublin stores are going to be stocking it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Soarer wrote: »
    I rang HMV in Cork earlier, and was told that only the big Dublin stores are going to be stocking it!

You're really not having much luck, are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Can somebody tell me whether flash works on the nexus 7? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Hi,
    I've been following this product with the intention to buy.

However, there's some poor feedback on the build quality and on the customer service.

The Guardian had a review today which sounded like it was written by Dunphy "Its a good tablet, but its not a great tablet."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2012/jul/23/tablet-computer-google?INTCMP=SRCH

Specifically, the review included this "In practical terms, a tablet is about providing a third way to connect digitally to people or things outside of the smartphone and PC form factors. The Nexus 7 doesn't move that debate on, because the only thing it's good at is looking at movies, and reading books. It's not good at web browsing; it's acceptable. The iPad, in comparison is good at all of those things."

I would be interested in hearing what owners feel about his comments. Are they fair. I have a kindle for books and I can't see myself watching movies or playing games on it. I would use it for web and email etc. So should I be looking at something else.

This is actually taking me longer as I have a wired connection and my sharing the connection through wireless card didn't go as planned.
    I forgot that stupid Android's don't like/know AdHoc connections though I found a nice free workaround so at least I have a net connection

Ah cool, I tried Unlock US as had a free weeks trial. I'm just backing up my device now and then going do factory reset with my American details and see where that gets me.

@ Baked.noodle - check herefor the flash files + guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Another f-ing article from the guardian comparing it to the iPad. Read the comments at the bottom of the article a lot of the spot on.
    The high-end iPad costs quite a lot more than a Nexus 7, but if you're at the low end of the market, to go from a 16GB Nexus 7 to a 16GB iPad 2 you've got to find £130. Is the iPad worth that extra money? Yes. For the reasons stated above.

Great unbiased advice there. The review should compare it with a Samsung tab or similar sized device or even an android tablet ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Did we really expect any better from the Guardian?
    It's the bastion for sandal wearers and tofu eating hipsters, I.e. Apple fanbois! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

A reader or writer from the guardian would only see one thing as an improvement over an Apple, a fair trade Apple.

I had an iPad 1 and an HTC flyer, I used the iPad more.
    I know have an iPad 2 and the nexus 7, I haven't used the iPad 2 for anything except checking work emails since Thursday.

I have also used xooms, Galaxy tabs and HPs tablets and the nexus is my favourite. Screen size and design are fine for browsing and email. It is a fast tablet. I will probably pick up a new jellybean 10 inch at some stage for watching media when travelling. But for the price point of the nexus 7 it is hard to find fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

But for the price point of the nexus 7 it is hard to find fault.

Now if we could only get our hands on one :rolleyes:

Anyone else feel that google has made a real hash of the launch ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Now if we could only get our hands on one :rolleyes:

Anyone else feel that google has made a real hash of the launch ?

Not really. Its not like they could tell exactly how many people wanted them and it was a very quick production cycle. Id say they made as many as they could with the time scale. ONly thing they could have done better is communication but thats not something theyre really used to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Installed flash 10.1 and 11.1 and the Firefox beta. Still can't seem to stream flash video. Anyone have any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Aristotle wrote: »

Do touch mean you can't buy any apps for the device straight out of the box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

event wrote: »
    Do touch mean you can't buy any apps for the device straight out of the box?

You can buy apps/games. The other services arent live here unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

how much is this going for normally? is it made by asus?

So after multiple wipe/resets I don't think I'm any closer to getting those apps fully active. Not sure if it's my access (net access) that is wrong but still looking into it.

After going through the restore process and getting to the credit card phase after you continued onto the main screen were the google applications still frozen?

I manged to get them working after defrosting them and using MarketEnabler to access the website version of them on the device. I was able to purchase a free book which showed up on the device in Google Books though the application went back to frozen state after a reboot. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

GrumPy wrote: »
    Installed flash 10.1 and 11.1 and the Firefox beta. Still can't seem to stream flash video. Anyone have any ideas?

Opera Mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Beezkneez!

What's the best video app for playing back downloaded content such as TV shows, movies etc, would want to support multiple file formats. I'm finding vlc beta abit buggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭plhealy2000

Beezkneez! wrote: »
    What's the best video app for playing back downloaded content such as TV shows, movies etc, would want to support multiple file formats. I'm finding vlc beta abit buggy.

Try mx player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Market enabler, droidVPN and an UK/Us card will spoof it for america. They don't care about Google country. I have Google play music and books on my HD2. What I am wondering, on the other hand, is how to set up the VPN before running setup wizard so that it instantly thinks it's america. Also, do you need a credit card at all? I'm going to the states so can turn it on there and I know I'll get free content but will I get the credit?

Oh and it only checks IP on first entry, at least for opening and consuming content. Like right now I can go to play.Google.com/music

• Advertisement
Advertisement