Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭irishgeo

tesco could not give me pricing details for the nexus 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Try mx player

Yeah +1 for mx player too. Just started using it and it has some nice features. Used to use mvPlayer as that supported hardcoded subtitles.
    Dubhaltach wrote: »
    Market enabler, droidVPN and an UK/Us card will spoof it for america. They don't care about Google country. I have Google play music and books on my HD2. What I am wondering, on the other hand, is how to set up the VPN before running setup wizard so that it instantly thinks it's america. Also, do you need a credit card at all? I'm going to the states so can turn it on there and I know I'll get free content but will I get the credit?

Oh and it only checks IP on first entry, at least for opening and consuming content. Like right now I can go to play.Google.com/music

Yeah that what's I am currently trying to get around i.e. the first check as I think that where google realises I'm in an unsupported country so locks the whole thing down.

I have another vpn solution that I've used before that I'll try later but apparently if you just skip the setup process and untick all location settings, set up your american vpn and then go to google set-up you'll get the option for $25 credit once you input credit card details.

The below is way someone on XDA forums apparently got the monies though I'm going to try a slightly different way.
    1.Make factory reset.
    2.When you get to the screen to enter Google account skip it.
    3.Uncheck all the check-boxes in next screens.
    4.Now when you got to the home screen, go to settings.Under Wireless and Networks click more.
    5.Click on VPN, Add VPN. Now the Nexus 7 will ask you to define security (Pattern,Password,PIN), Define whatever you want.
    6.Click again Add VPN, and enter this definitions:
    Name: SuperFreeVPN
    Server address: superfreevpn.com
    and click save.
    7.Now click on SuperFreeVPN,for username enter:free, and for password go to website superfreevpn.com and look for VPN Password.
    8.Click Connect. If connected successfully you will see key icon in notifications.
    9.Go to Settings, under Accounts click Add Account and choose Google. Enter your username and password, if everything is OK you will get to screen that will ask you to enter credit card to Google wallet to receive 25$ credit.
    10.While you using VPN you can download Google Books, Google Magazines, Google Movies.

If you select that the card is from United States it is asking you only for name, zip code and telephone number.
    I entered my real card number, my real name, US zip code and US telephone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yeah +1 for mx player too. Just started using it and it has some nice features. Used to use mvPlayer as that supported hardcoded subtitles.

Yeah that what's I am currently trying to get around i.e. the first check as I think that where google realises I'm in an unsupported country so locks the whole thing down.

I have another vpn solution that I've used before that I'll try later but apparently if you just skip the setup process and untick all location settings, set up your american vpn and then go to google set-up you'll get the option for $25 credit once you input credit card details.

The below is way someone on XDA forums apparently got the monies though I'm going to try a slightly different way.

does it work for an irish cr card no?

Cyrus wrote: »
    does it work for an irish cr card no?

Apparently the guy who was using it was not from America so it was a non-US card.

I'm in work at moment so won't get to test this till later. I have an Irish CC as well as an online US card so will test it with both along with my Google Voice US number and random Zip code (don't think the number and Zip really matter as it doesn't ask for address just that they are valid.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭event

Lads i know pc world have none.
    But who should be getting them this week?
    Is it hmv, argos and tesco?
    What days are they selling them on?

I know its in the thread somewhere but on the phone so a pain to search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭jonski

irishgeo wrote: »
    tesco could not give me pricing details for the nexus 7.

Could they tell you when they would have them in stock ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

MX Player is great... very smooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

BrookieD wrote: »
    MX Player is great... very smooth

If you enable hardware acceleration in VLC it should work fine, but for some reason it's turned off by default!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Tesco will have stock on the 29th July but no price info yet.

Argos is still up in the air but their website says 30th july but you cant reserve or pre-order.

HMV is Thursday or Friday i think. i not too bothered as i don't have one near me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Beezkneez!

How about any apps or way of reading ebooks. I've lots of books downloaded that I'd like to put on there. There doesn't seem to be any way to read them with the kindle app as calibre doesn't recognise the device. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

What format are the books in? Aldiko maybe?

They are kindle content but I could convert to Mobi if that helps.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If they're not recognised by the Kindle app, can you convert them to EPUB?

Yeah I think that's what I will do using calibre. Thanks folks.I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

kindles default is mobi i thought?
    its another reason im interested in this is the fact its only double the cost of the kindle though the screen of course a bit bright for longterm reading i suppose...compared to the e-ink or whatever the kindle uses. (i guess this will be easier read in the dark though :P)

any apps you use which are ebook readers should support .mobi anyway i guess...
    can anyone give us an idea of battery life on this in general usage?
    If i can find one i will buy it. preferably waiting on HMV considering they have the cheapest ones out.
    my main gripe still being hdmi port, but for the price its pretty awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

If the books were bought on the amazon store and you have the kindle app installed, you should be able to push the books from your account management section on the amazon website to your Nexus 7. Amazon, in general, allow up to 6 devices to a kindle account although some publishers restrict that by book. I have 5 devices on one account - three of them other family members.
    I've done that with the kindle app on my phone so can't see why it won't work.
    If the books are not drm-ed then another option would be to use dropbox or indeed drive. Save to the cloud and pull from the cloud to the device.

Kindle books with drm are .azw. Mobi is .azw without the drm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

The portrait lock is very annoying to me.
    I've stuck Go Launcher and Apex on there already.
    I'm going to build hub screens though so I'll need to update the launcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭plhealy2000

Beezkneez! wrote: »
    They are kindle content but I could convert to Mobi if that helps.

Just download the kindle app and then copy your books into the kindle folder on the nexus. Worked for me.

Boom... :D

mZRN5l.png

All my hard-work has finally paid off... now just need to spend it before they take it off me :D

PS: Also got the rest of the goodies!

Link to some screens

E.G -> mmh0ps.jpg

Actually ended up using my Irish Card :)

It was a gmail account I created yesterday as test so decided to use it again today.

Currently downloading the books, magazine and anything else I can get my hands on, then going to spend the free monies and maybe some more books and few apps and then transfer them to my PC. I have a plan how to view them later :D

You were using your American VPN?
    Before it asked you to enter the credit card did it say please enter your credit card to claim the $25?

If yes to both of the above enter your credit card details as normal but location must be set as United States then enter the zip code and address.

I found (212) 9two5-5five99 and 10002 by googling a NY number and zip code :D

Also I turned off my vpn and checked the playstore in my browser (on PC) so only apps are showing but its still giving me the option to use my $20+ in my google wallet or my entered credit card ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

Anyway to do this without a credit card?

You were using your American VPN?
    Before it asked you to enter the credit card did it say please enter your credit card to claim the $25?

If yes to both of the above enter your credit card details as normal but location must be set as United States then enter the zip code and address.

I found (212) 9two5-5five99 and 10002 by googling a NY number and zip code :D

Also I turned off my vpn and checked the playstore in my browser (on PC) so only apps are showing but its still giving me the option to use my $20+ in my google wallet or my entered credit card ;)

Anyway to do this without a credit card?

Umm not too sure, I'm not even sure it verifies my credit card details... well I was using the wrong country. You could probably use an online virtual credit card e.g. EntroPay and that may work but def worth it imo as...
    I have a plan how to view them later :D

My plan actually worked :D

I wiped the device again and I installed a custom rom I saw earlier MoDaCo Custom Jelly Bean ROM for the Nexus 7 and set the device up again using my irish internet and the same account.

That custom rom which keeps alot of the stock options but with some awesome improvements including landscape homepage, flash and quite a few other things but more importantly Disabled Jelly Bean 'disable apps on boot' feature.

This means I can access the apps that are normally frozen i.e. books, magazines, music etc and my free stuff from earlier appeared no problem. Was even able to download the free magazines for offline viewing :eek:

Edit: Haha now even have access to Google Wallet where they gave me a $10 prepaid card for when that service eventually comes here!
    Also just bought new Batman game from the Play Store on the device and paid using my Google Play Balance which transferred across :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Sorry how so what?

How do you unlock them!

Umm not too sure, I'm not even sure it verifies my credit card details... well I was using the wrong country. You could probably use an online virtual credit card e.g. EntroPay and that may work but def worth it imo as...

My plan actually worked :D

I wiped the device again and I installed a custom rom I saw earlier MoDaCo Custom Jelly Bean ROM for the Nexus 7 and set the device up again using my irish internet and the same account.

That custom rom which keeps alot of the stock options but with some awesome improvements including landscape homepage, flash and quite a few other things but more importantly Disabled Jelly Bean 'disable apps on boot' feature.

This means I can access the apps that are normally frozen i.e. books, magazines, music etc and my free stuff from earlier appeared no problem. Was even able to download the free magazines for offline viewing :eek:

Edit: Haha now even have access to Google Wallet where they gave me a $10 prepaid card for when that service eventually comes here!
    Also just bought new Batman game from the Play Store on the device and paid using my Google Play Balance which transferred across :D

this is pretty cool,

do you mind doing a step by step sometime when you get an opportunity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Anyone manage to pick up a Nexus 7 in Newry or are stock levels as bad up north?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is it really stuck in portrait mode? No switch to landscape when you turn it sideways?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ah cheers, picked it up wrong reading through the thread. Think I'm sold then, especially after reading the Eurogamer review http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-google-nexus-7-review

Going to replace my first gen iPad with it hopefully this week.

Feidhlim wrote: »
    How do you unlock them!

He already answered that, use Titanium Backup and defrost them (you need to be rooted though) and they ain't much use to you once you do a they will refreeze once you restart hence why I'm using custom rom!
    Cyrus wrote: »
    this is pretty cool,

do you mind doing a step by step sometime when you get an opportunity

Yeah will do mate... most important things are your device is rooted (makes life easier), have access to a US VPN and you have patience ;)
    Its actually a fairly easy process and well worth it in the end.

That's strange, no reason why it shouldn't work so - did you delete your details from the google wallet first or was there even anything in there?

Edit:: Doh I missed my 1000th post :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Is it really stuck in portrait mode? No switch to landscape when you turn it sideways?

To clarify,it is stuck in portrait mode for the home screens and launcher. You can turn on auto rotate for apps in settings without having to flash any ROMs. I'm using chrome now and typing this in landscape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Am I the only person who actually likes portrait mode :p just works well and I don't have to stretch my fingers to type or anything.. Just seems a lot more natural compared to landscape in my eyes. That's before I start about how it's so much nicer to read content going down the screen rather than being really is stretched out... Is it just me that thinks that this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Reckon an O2 money card will be let through considering its a debit card rather than a credit card?

• Advertisement

Glad you got it working and enjoy the free money :D

Never actually heard about that Switchme app, actually sounds really handy though my longwinded way of doing it was because I wanted all the free stuff. If you could disable the Jelly Bean 'disable apps on boot' feature then you could switch back to US account and grab the rest of the free stuff ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Picking up my Nexus 7 today. My bro in law got it for me in Dub airport yesterday. Twas the only one there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 catchmartin

Thanks so much for the step by step! And to balkieb2002 for his work on this! Just to clarify, did you also use a second, temporary google account for this? Or is the "American" card loaded onto your existing Google account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Cant wait to pick mine up tomorrow,

Unfortunately will be after work, was hoping to use it in work :'(

Thanks so much for the step by step! And to balkieb2002 for his work on this! Just to clarify, did you also use a second, temporary google account for this? Or is the "American" card loaded onto your existing Google account?

Afaik Captain Morgan used his original account for both steps. This is the better way to do it as that way you don't need to switch around your accounts all the time! I originally did it as I wasn't sure if my account settings were having an effect on the setup (turns out VPN is most important part so now I'm stuck with both accounts until my credit is gone (not too hard actually to change accounts in apps). I was also worried what may happen to my own account as that has my correct credit card details on it.

Once you set your account up with the "American" credit card you can login into the Google Wallet website and just delete it (or change it to correct settings). You'll also notice your Google Play credit in there.

You can also use a handy little app from Play Store called DroidVPN, very quick and handy for setting up VPN to access stores.

• Advertisement

so lads, any news of any stock in HMV?

Advertisement