Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Cyrus wrote: »
    so lads, any news of any stock in HMV?
    Phoned this morning and they saying tomorrow...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Phoned this morning and they saying tomorrow...:(

Just phoned HMV Dundrum and was told that it was unlikely they would have them tomorrow but probably will have them for the weekend. I asked about preordering and was told that they couldn't take preorders and that it will be first come, first served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Anyone find any good cases about for them? (official or other - i.e. Samsung Tab 2 7.0 / Playbook cases should also work)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

A few caught my eye in online stores, none that I like though in any brick & mortar store! Hopefully stores will start seeing stock soon as I do worry that I may drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lmlr

Hi guys,

I am going travelling in a month and was thinking about buying one of these before going. Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer photos from a camera directly to this and then upload them to the web.

I will be taking a lot of pictures over the year and rather that carrying multiple SD cards with me I would prefer to store them online. Will this be possible without a SD slot?

• Advertisement

lmlr wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am going travelling in a month and was thinking about buying one of these before going. Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer photos from a camera directly to this and then upload them to the web.

I will be taking a lot of pictures over the year and rather that carrying multiple SD cards with me I would prefer to store them online. Will this be possible without a SD slot?

Everything with the nexus is done wireless/bluetooth etc so unless a camera has these functions, I don't think you would have much luck there.

Only possible way to do this would be to use the USB OTG hack and USB reader but not sure how reliable that would be. Once they were on the Nexus then you would have plenty of online options for storage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Never had any interest in getting a tablet before until I saw this little beauty,I take you can download books to read on it ya?

Yeah there quite a bit of talk about using book on it a few pages back (pg38).
    I'd say using the Kindle app if you have that type of book content, just store them in the cloud (drive, dropbox).

Google Books store is unfortunately not available in this country so you can't buy them on the device unless you use the workarounds myself and Captain Morgan are using.

Speaking of which I "bought" some free books from the Play Store on my pc to download to the Nexus after work. I was on my SGII a few minutes ago and found installed APKS of the Google Play Magazines and Google Play Books apps I had forgot about. I logged into my account and up popped the free magazines from last night as well as all my books including the ones I just got. The book I was reading on my Nexus last night even opened on the same page I had stopped reading on!. Gotta love the cloud :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Google Books store is unfortunately not available in this country so you can't buy them on the device unless you use the workarounds myself and Captain Morgan are using.

well that's a darn shame

Also I was looking at online stores for it and nowhere seems to have,at one stage I was confusing it with the samsung one :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You can transfer over books you own using Calibre though, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

quick one for adding flash
    Download Adobe Flash Play 11.1 apk here or download it from XDA Developers. After the file has downloaded open and install it. Please be sure that “Install from unkown sources” is checked off in the Android settings for the Nexus 7.
    Install Firefox Beta browser from the Android Market.
    That’s it, now you have Flash support on your Android 4.1 (JellyBean)

easy peasy

DeadParrot wrote: »
    quick one for adding flash
    Download Adobe Flash Play 11.1 apk here or download it from XDA Developers. After the file has downloaded open and install it. Please be sure that “Install from unkown sources” is checked off in the Android settings for the Nexus 7.
    Install Firefox Beta browser from the Android Market.
    That’s it, now you have Flash support on your Android 4.1 (JellyBean)

easy peasy

Extra info regarding the above:
    1. This will NOT work with the current build of Google Chrome. A dev may fix this in the future but Google nor Adobe will be adding Flash support to any future builds of Android. I’ve also tried the plugin with ICS+ Browser and Dolphin Browser HD, both of which don’t work with the method used above. FireFox seems to be the only browser currently that works with the flash plugin in Android 4.1.

2. By default FireFox Beta has plugins set to “on demand”, which can cause some minor inconviences, however you can remedy this problem by going to:

FireFox Beta settings (three dots to right corner) -> Settings -> Plugins -> Select: Enabled

I use the custom rom that I linked to earlier (which I really recommend you at least try it out as I'm finding it excellent), as flash comes preinstalled and working with the ICS browser which I prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i read somewhere flash is being removed for google play market in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

irishgeo wrote: »
    i read somewhere flash is being removed for google play market in September.

Yep. Developer apks will still be available on Adobes website though

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

This post has been deleted.

Hey

Looking for some help. I've done the above, so have 2 profiles (my usual one and a 2nd one with the $25 credit. I can only see the credit with the 2nd one though? How do I get the first profile to recognise it?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Just came to the UK for a few days. Then thought to myself "borrow the mums credit card and put the details into Google Wallet", reset the device, and set up again and POW, £15 free credit, free books, free Transformers movie., RESULT. use a VPN on the device to make sure i still use the free credit.... love this device. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

irishgeo wrote: »
    Tesco will have stock on the 29th July but no price info yet.

Argos is still up in the air but their website says 30th july but you cant reserve or pre-order.

HMV is Thursday or Friday i think. i not too bothered as i don't have one near me.

Argos have updated their delivery date
    Order now for delivery on 16th August 2012.

Still no stock in any store, and you can't order it for delivery :-S

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

Declan fron Currys/PC World has just issued a heads up that PC World Liffey Valley ( the one in the retail park ) has 15 units in stock. Shop opening at 10:00 -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056686662&page=31

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Massive +1.

I've been looking for something like this for AGES.

Ideally also want something that lets me read and reply to my texts through PC.

Its weird, but when your gaming as much as I do the effort of having to pickup the phone and text, alt tab and reply with keyboard sounds much fasteer and less of a nuisance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

lmlr wrote: »
    Hi guys,

AFAIK the OTG cables do work but it won't mount flash/SD storage without root access and this app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.stickmount

TheDoc wrote: »
    Came across and app called Tablet Talk.

Syncs texts from on your phone to your tablet letting you read and reply from your tablet. Also shows incoming calls.

Massive +1.

Its weird, but when your gaming as much as I do the effort of having to pickup the phone and text, alt tab and reply with keyboard sounds much fasteer and less of a nuisance

Mighty Text

Tried that for a few weeks, was extremely buggy and was a bit of a nuisance, might try again if its sharpened up

Tried that for a few weeks, was extremely buggy and was a bit of a nuisance, might try again if its sharpened up

Ever since it came out of beta I've been finding it quite smooth. Might be worth another go!

Cant get in today due to work so someone picking it up for me, like a kid at christmas.

Just out of curiosity asked did they have them and what were stock like. Said they are here ready to go out and they have units for general sale. Didnt check on quantity, thats the Swords branch.

Sound bunch in there, if your hunting drop them a call and ask them to throw one aside I'm sure they can sort you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Cant get in today due to work so someone picking it up for me, like a kid at christmas.

Just out of curiosity asked did they have them and what were stock like. Said they are here ready to go out and they have units for general sale. Didnt check on quantity, thats the Swords branch.

Sound bunch in there, if your hunting drop them a call and ask them to throw one aside I'm sure they can sort you out.

wheres this?

I'm fairly positive that TheDoc had pre-ordered his in HMV Swords.

It seems that quite a few places are getting these into stock i.e. random PC World/Currys shops and HMV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Medu

I'm fairly positive that TheDoc had pre-ordered his in HMV Swords.

It seems that quite a few places are getting these into stock i.e. random PC World/Currys shops and HMV

HMV on Grafton street said they weren't getting them in until tomorrow and had only a few left unreserved.(<5)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

HMV Grafton Street are saying they will have stock tomorrow (Friday). Probably only have stock to cover pre-orders.

EDit Medu got there ahead of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Massive +1.

check out airdroid app it allows you to control your phone and send and read text messages through a web browser as long as everything is on the same wifi network.

Anywhere online selling them?

Yeah sorry just noticed I hadn't specified in my post

HMV Swords.

I see alot of mention of airdroid, and was involved in its first beta test, where you needed an airdroid server component running on your PC. It was an absolute mess and the frustration and conflict with drivers and connections just made me drop it.

Will revisit it again if its solely browser based. Tried it there but its blocked in work , even being on the same wifi : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

HMV Swords.

I see alot of mention of airdroid, and was involved in its first beta test, where you needed an airdroid server component running on your PC. It was an absolute mess and the frustration and conflict with drivers and connections just made me drop it.

Will revisit it again if its solely browser based. Tried it there but its blocked in work , even being on the same wifi : /

Maybe they have that port blocked ?
    Can you change the port it listens on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

TheDoc, you could try MyPhoneExplorer also!

I've been using this for years with no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Cyrus wrote: »

Just out of curiosity asked did they have them and what were stock like. Said they are here ready to go out and they have units for general sale. Didnt check on quantity,thats the Swords branch.

wheres this?

Swords :rolleyes:

Ste- wrote: »

HMV Swords.

Maybe they have that port blocked ?
    Can you change the port it listens on ?

Well I think the port is 5555. Maybe air droid.com is blocked, go into the apps settings and add a manual password, then go to the device [url]http://IP:port[/url], for example 192.168.0.102:5555

Dubhaltach wrote: »

You do realise he was asking what store i.e. HMV and it was answered 2 times already :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

:D:eek:

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Funny that

Da just rang to say he went in and girl behind the till said they hadn't received the order yet, and will most likely be tomorrow.

This is after speaking to a fella this morning, who you woulda thought would have mentioned this to save me sending the father in.

Disappointing if this is the case

He said hed go in and ask for some definitives and then ring me back.

*Just rang me back, seemingly girl behind till rang someone, they said it would be in tomorrow. Few people had joined the disappointment crew aswell so there was a few unhappy bunnies.

O well, I guess its the price to pay for atleast knowing I'm getting one, supply seems horridly short. A little pee'd I'd to send me da all the way in for nothing, he bumped off work for me like. You'd think your man woulda said this morning " listen we havn't got them in yet, if you want to maybe ring in later on to check" as I specifically rang to ask was it OK if my father picked it up for , as I couldn't get into the store.

le sigh

You do realise he was asking what store i.e. HMV and it was answered 2 times already :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Whoops, I thought we were on the topic of HMV anyway, and my phone hadn't reloaded fully to show the replies. Sorry though!

On another note, to anyone who has the tablet, are you noticing any instabilities with chrome? I have it on my 1x and I'm finding when I resume the app it reloads, (making me think I'm up to date) but it actually doesn't? And aswell at least once a day it loads most of the way, then shows a white screen for any webpage. Stays that way until I force stop. Don't get me wrong I love chrome, it just still feels beta and could be risky pushing it out as the only option (stock) on these tablets...

Whoops, I thought we were on the topic of HMV anyway, and my phone hadn't reloaded fully to show the replies. Sorry though!

On another note, to anyone who has the tablet, are you noticing any instabilities with chrome? I have it on my 1x and I'm finding when I resume the app it reloads, (making me think I'm up to date) but it actually doesn't? And aswell at least once a day it loads most of the way, then shows a white screen for any webpage. Stays that way until I force stop. Don't get me wrong I love chrome, it just still feels beta and could be risky pushing it out as the only option (stock) on these tablets...

No Prob, this thread gets confusing ;)

Regarding Chrome.. I'm having no issues with it at all. Been using it since I got ICS on my SGII and this latest release just feels smoother.
    Just did a few tests there. Opended up a few webpages. Closed application and re-opened - chrome loaded up previous page I was on straight away and loaded up rest of tabs in background.
    When using multi-task to switch between a few programs - all tabs stay fully loaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

My cover arrived today. Decent fit, and seems like good material for a cheap early third party product. The stand function isn't the greatest though and the delivery was expensive to Ireland considering what it is. Still, I wanted to get a decent cover asap because I will let this thing fall and the screen will get destroyed if I don't cover it up. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I'm having the same problems in my SGSII, regularly enough for me to go back to the default browser. I'm on ICS too. I might try to reinstall it, tho the whole phone does seems to occasionally lag a bit since I've started using Chrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Custom roms which ones are best and well is it worth leaving stock?

GrumPy wrote: »
    My cover arrived today. Decent fit, and seems like good material for a cheap early third party product. The stand function isn't the greatest though and the delivery was expensive to Ireland considering what it is. Still, I wanted to get a decent cover asap because I will let this thing fall and the screen will get destroyed if I don't cover it up. :o

How much did it cost you in the end? Does the magnetic area of it work?

I'm hopefully won't regret it but I'm going to hold out till better selection of are available, was tempted to get this one as seller was from Ireland and looks decent.
    Custom roms which ones are best and well is it worth leaving stock?

100% recommend MoDaCo Custom Jelly Bean ROM for the Nexus 7. Been using it for past couple of days and it feels exactly like the stock rom but with quite
    a few advantages over stock i.e. flash, google apps, keyboard, landscape etc. You can read more about changes on the site or I can give you a more personal view of it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

GrumPy wrote: »

I was thinking of getting this exact same cover.
    Any good? Would you recommend? I see they are like 9pounds now! :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I was thinking of getting this exact same cover.
    Any good? Would you recommend? I see they are like 9pounds now! :-D

Magnetic feature works well, postage is expensive though! But happy with it. It ended up costing 18 Euro in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Very easy step by step here for the $25 credit just did it there myself took all of 5 mins

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1792592&highlight=credit

Only have this tablet an hour and already in love with it!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement