Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

What format does the Nexus 7 use for videos please?

I have a number of videos in iTunes that I would like to transfer to the 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

What the odds of hmv actually having stock tomorrow I wonder? Lunch time today they said it was being shipped from UK today so they would have it in store lunchtime tomorrow or Saturday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

What format does the Nexus 7 use for videos please?

I have a number of videos in iTunes that I would like to transfer to the 7.

Most formats I think, just make sure use a decent free player like MX Player.

Most of the films I watch are .mkv and that plays them fine. The above player is also able to play mp4, avi etc..

A paid example is DicePlayer which plays AVI,MOV,MKV,FLV,AVI,3GP,3G2,ASF,WMV,MP4,M4V,TS,MTP,M2TS

Actually DicePlayer also come in an Ad Version which is free so either player would do you fine. Unlike Apple products your not limited to your viewing format. Most even work with subs!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Had a play with the display model in PC World in the Jervis Centre and was very impressed. The guy there told me they weren't expecting another delivery for 3 weeks :( Thinking of heading to HMV Grafton St. before work in the morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

So, hmv are due to sell these tomorrow then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

marcbrophy wrote: »
    So, hmv are due to sell these tomorrow then?

Was in hmv swords last night, guy there said either today or monday but couldnt say for sure. will be calling in this morning, will post if ive an update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ceegee wrote: »
    Was in hmv swords last night, guy there said either today or monday but couldnt say for sure. will be calling in this morning, will post if ive an update

Bout to ring myself in the next few minutes....

Dropped into HMV Grafton Street just before 9 this morning and they hadn't arrived. Today, tomorrow or Monday they expect to have em in.

Put my name on their waiting list, but no idea how far down that I am :(

TheDoc wrote: »

HMV Swords fella just said he had them in his hand as the delivery just arrived.

So Father going again at lunch to grab it for me

• Advertisement

HMV Swords fella just said he had them in his hand as the delivery just arrived.

Hopefully he has more luck then yesterday ;)

Sweet I'm pre order number one in Grafton street they expecting them between 10 and 12 I didn't have much hope but if they in swords surely they will make as far as Grafton Street! Roll on 12

Hopefully he has more luck then yesterday ;)

Well your man said he literally had (said)just scanned mine through and was on the shelf behind him with my name and number on it.

So if I don't get it in my grubby hands today, I'm gonna smack a bitch

Cheers for all the links for whipping the 25 free credit, will give that a lash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just got a phone call from HMV Grafton Street, they should be in at 11. Don't have the funds to get one unfortunately so if anyone wants to use my name/order PM me.

Edit - gone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Anyone else having trouble getting the VPN to work. Tried on my home BB and on the meteor data network. Tried a few different VPN sites no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Rang HMV Cork yesterday to be told "only the big stores will be getting them" :mad:

• Advertisement

Well your man said he literally had (said)just scanned mine through and was on the shelf behind him with my name and number on it.

So if I don't get it in my grubby hands today, I'm gonna smack a bitch

Cheers for all the links for whipping the 25 free credit, will give that a lash

Sounds promising so!

No worries, I'd def recommend using Captain Morgan's method as that should work no problem. Any issues though always happy to help.

Also if your going to root the device (also recommended), you do should more or less do so straight away as you have to wipe the device to unlock the bootloader (required to root).
    wingnut wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble getting the VPN to work. Tried on my home BB and on the meteor data network. Tried a few different VPN sites no joy.

Which VPN service are you using and what method? This to get the free stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I've tried superfreevpn.com and vpn hide. Says unsuccessful.

Any in Cork know where I could pick one up?

Sounds promising so!

No worries, I'd def recommend using Captain Morgan's method as that should work no problem. Any issues though always happy to help.

Also if your going to root the device (also recommended), you do should more or less do so straight away as you have to wipe the device to unlock the bootloader (required to root).

Which VPN service are you using and what method? This to get the free stuff?

Never had much fortune with rooting.

HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy SII both experienced massive issues when I rooted. Most recently my Galaxy SII is eating battery at a stupidly fast rate

So to be fair I'm not really considering it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Rooting with a nexus device is a different story to an OEM device.
    OEMs don't have to release the source of all the changes they make to android (they only have to release changes they make to the linux kernel. Different license). This results in a lot of dirty changes and hacks that can cause problems with stability. Not to mention graphics drivers & other hell.
    With a nexus device all source & drivers are available to directly build for it from the AOSP. Results in much more stable, cleaner ROMS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

If anyone goes into HMV to get one, can they see if there are Cases available and let us know!

wingnut wrote: »
    I've tried superfreevpn.com and vpn hide. Says unsuccessful.

Yeah I tried with a few of the free ones but they didn't work for me, so I used a paid service I had used before URL="http://hidemyass.com/vpn/"]HideMyAss[/URL which worked perfectly. I also use this service for watching iPlayer on my device among other things so didn't mind paying for it There are a few other around too that also work that may be cheaper e.g. BlackVPN

Btw what did you mean exactly when you said it says unsuccessful?
    Rooting with a nexus device is a different story to an OEM device.
    OEMs don't have to release the source of all the changes they make to android (they only have to release changes they make to the linux kernel. Different license). This results in a lot of dirty changes and hacks that can cause problems with stability. Not to mention graphics drivers & other hell.
    With a nexus device all source & drivers are available to directly build for it from the AOSP. Results in much more stable, cleaner ROMS.

100% agree with the above. I've also rooted my SGII and while I haven't found any issues with it [that may be due to me still using the stock ROM], my rooted Nexus with a custom ROM installed has had no issues i.e. battery, force closes etc. Like it's still stock ROM and unrooted but better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Just after picking one up in hmv swords, hadn't prebooked so delighted to get one so easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Just got the call from HMV Henrys St. They have them in. Should be a few available without booking.

ceegee wrote: »
    Just after picking one up in hmv swords, hadn't prebooked so delighted to get one so easily.
    Got the call mine is ready in grafton street

metalfest wrote: »
    Rang HMV Cork yesterday to be told "only the big stores will be getting them" :mad:

That probably rules out the Limerick stores too, but I'll chance dropping into the 'bigger' one anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Selling in the UK branches today. Carphone Warehouse

Might be worth checking out for those who don't have one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Picked my one up in Grafton Street about 10 mins ago, its €240, so €20 cheaper than pc world.
    Asked the guys if they had any not for preorders, and he said there might be one, but he wasn't sure yet! I think I was the first to get it there, as they had just put them on the system, and brought down a crate of about 30 when I was waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

mise wrote: »
    Picked my one up in Grafton Street about 10 mins ago, its €240, so €20 cheaper than pc world.
    Asked the guys if they had any not for preorders, and he said there might be one, but he wasn't sure yet! I think I was the first to get it there, as they had just put them on the system, and brought down a crate of about 30 when I was waiting.

Any sign of cases / covers in there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 wilted

Just got one in hmv henry they only had three left for general sale.....

Edit: no covers or cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Grafton Street said they don't have any left for general sale, they only have stock to cover pre-orders at the moment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ARGOS Maybe?

Nothing in HMV grafton street or henry street. Henry street told us grafton had 37 for general sale which transpired to be horse ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Sorry, I forgot to check for cases or covers, as I just ran up during work to make sure they didn't sell it!

I'm might head back up at Lunch or else after work, and I'll report back
    Any sign of cases / covers in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Medu

dregin wrote: »
    Nothing in HMV grafton street or henry street. Henry street told us grafton had 37 for general sale which transpired to be horse ****.

I believe that they were getting in 37-38 and nearly all of those were pre-orders as of yesterday. At best they had 3-4 on sale today.

Medu wrote: »
    I believe that they were getting in 37-38 and nearly all of those were pre-orders as of yesterday. At best they had 3-4 on sale today.

Yeah, that was the case, but the lad in Henry street was adamant that they had 37 for general sale. Ah well.

Any recommendations on where to order one online? Argos seem to be the only Irish site taking pre-orders.

ARGOS Maybe?
    Website says sold out :(

Argos site also says delivery for orders placed now will be on August 16th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I was told PC World in Cork had some when I rang up yesterday enquiring about stock in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

Got mine just now from HMV Grafton St. Its sitting on my desk charging.

So my evening is sorted first get my $25- free (Thanks to Balkieb2002 and Captain Morgan) and then putting on a custom rom (Thanks again Balkieb2002).

Fun and Games!:D

eboarde

Playing with mine last hour. What's easiest way to get content from my galaxy nexus to the nexus 7? Can't use usbs in office..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Playing with mine last hour. What's easiest way to get content from my galaxy nexus to the nexus 7? Can't use usbs in office..

How much do you have to move over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Dropbox or google drive would probably be the easiest as long as you have wireless access on the Nexus 7.

How much do you have to move over?
    Just wanted to transfer a few albums using dropbox but its slow

• Advertisement

Da just rang to say he picked mine up, although got charged €239, after I'd paid a €10 deposit, had to make him turn around to get my tenner!

Luckily he is still in the centre ,

Just got one in HMV Limerick (crescent) :)
    They had 2 in stock and I now have 1 of them!

Da just rang to say he picked mine up, although got charged €239, after I'd paid a €10 deposit, had to make him turn around to get my tenner!

Luckily he is still in the centre ,

:D

I used combination of Dropbox and Bluetooth to transfer files across between SGII and Nexus - slow but reliable.

Luckily I work in IT so have full access to my machine but does anyone know how to connect it to an XP machine? Work fine on my Win7 machine at home. I got the nexus recognised from drivers I had but can't for the life of me find a working XP MTP driver.

::EDIT:: Turns out I had to disable USB Debugging, once I did that Nexus suddenly appeared in Windows Explorer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Website says sold out :(

Damn..............hang on a few weeks like myself and get one then :) wait till the hype dies down etc etc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I got mine in HMV Sligo today. I think they were getting in 6 units in total. I think Curries in Sligo still have some, at least they did yesterday evening

• Advertisement
Advertisement