Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lafpat

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I got mine in HMV Sligo today. I think they were getting in 6 units in total. I think Curries in Sligo still have some, at least they did yesterday evening

Just picked up Nexus 7 in HMV Limerick Crescent shopping centre they had two left in stock, when I left about a half hour ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Just back from HMV in the Crescent in Limerick................... sold out ....just missed them :( , they only got 5 and 2 of them were pre-orders ...even though I was told on Monday that I couldn't pre-order :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Picked mine up in HMV Galway, gotta say HMV are fast becoming my go to shop for anything they might possibly stock. Fair play lads and ladies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Rang PC World, was told there are none in the UK. He also explained how Southern Ireland is part of the UK...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭liamhana

collected mine in Galway HMV after ringing them after seeing on boards that it was about to go on sale there! thanks boardies.
    Cancelled my prepaid order in currys (they took me for a ride last week promising me that they'd have it this week) but to be fair once I went in this morning & told them HMV had one for me I got an immediate discount....
    10e cheaper in hmv too & they dont try to laiden you down with extras either. Far more straight forward. They had sold me a 'cloud' package with the nexus & charged me 60 for it, when I go the refund I asked, how much for the cloud package alone & was told 40....wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

None in HMV Blanchardstown, apparently they aren't carrying it at all. I was surprised at that after hearing on this thread that Swords had it.

So is there any HMV in Dublin that has unallocated stock, does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Carphonewarehouse haven't a fckin breeze what I was talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Dropbox or Google Drive for Data as Mantel said but if you are moving just music use "Google Music".
    You can sync any audio files to the "Cloud" and then either stream or download to any phone or tab linked to your GMail account.
    Playing with mine last hour. What's easiest way to get content from my galaxy nexus to the nexus 7? Can't use usbs in office..
    Mantel wrote: »
    Dropbox or google drive would probably be the easiest as long as you have wireless access on the Nexus 7.
    Just wanted to transfer a few albums using dropbox but its slow
    liamhana wrote: »
    collected mine in Galway HMV after ringing them after seeing on boards that it was about to go on sale there! thanks boardies.
    Cancelled my prepaid order in currys (they took me for a ride last week promising me that they'd have it this week) but to be fair once I went in this morning & told them HMV had one for me I got an immediate discount....
    10e cheaper in hmv too & they dont try to laiden you down with extras either. Far more straight forward. They had sold me a 'cloud' package with the nexus & charged me 60 for it, when I go the refund I asked, how much for the cloud package alone & was told 40....wtf?

quick Q for a newbie. I want to stick my itunes music (on my pc non wifi) onto the Nexus. Do I download the double twist app onto the tablet & then sync or do I need to download double twist on to the pc too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

swingking wrote: »
    Carphonewarehouse haven't a fckin breeze what I was talking about

Two mates work in CPW in the Swords branch and I got in touch with them first when I heard about the Nexus.

The boys knew what I was on about but said that CPW rarely carries tablets on launch day, and information wont hit stores for a few weeks.

• Advertisement

+1 for Google Music,

It can be fiddly and very buggy.

But the idea is you give it a folder to scan and it wil add new music to the cloud. Then you can listen to it from any android device, laptop or desktop pc once logged into the account.

Although it regularly doesnt upload my full library, it splits albums out seperatly on occasion for no reason, and uses the same cover art for numerous other albums.

I think it needs a bit more TLC, but its a top idea and to be fair I use it alot, just some minor niggles.

I'd say tonight is going to be getting on the apps I had on my Xoom ( Google Play stupidly good for this, being able to move apps over from my Pc) but firstly organising the free $25 credit.

I'm still not convinced on rooting, not feeling the benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i been on to tesco again no word back on prices or stiock date yet.

its supposed to be sunday but hopefully ill have an answer before close of business today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

quick Q for a newbie. I want to stick my itunes music (on my pc non wifi) onto the Nexus. Do I download the double twist app onto the tablet & then sync or do I need to download double twist on to the pc too?

You need to have it on the PC as well. It reads your itunes library and talks to the Double Twist app on your phone/Tablet.
    I use it all the time and love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

TheDoc wrote: »
    +1 for Google Music,

I'm still not convinced on rooting, not feeling the benefits.

Another +1 for Google Music - I forgot I had signed up to it when it first came around (it was only open at the time to USA afaik) and I suddenly had 270 free songs that had built up over time without me even using it (some quite good ones too) plus you have the option to add up to 20,000 songs to the cloud.

I still recommned rooting though as you can install custom roms (the stock rom has quite a few glaring faults imo) though this is up to your preferences I suppose. The customisation is endless though. Plus you always have the option of unroot and returning to stock at any time.

A wider range of applications are available to you such as:
    Titanium Backup which will allow you in unfreeze the Google Applications allowing you to access your free stuff - Custom Rom will negate that requirement.
    Ability to use Switchme which is a requirement if your using Captain Morgans method for $25 - there are alternative methods but it's handy in conjunction with the above app.
    ClockWorkMod/Rom Manger - allows you an easy method of making a nandroid backup, install system files - plus even has a nice touchscreen version.
    StickMount - A big one for some people - Ability to use OTG cable which allows you to connect usb drives to your device i.e. expanding your space

There are lots more advantages of rooting but the above are just what I can think of off the top of my head for the Nexus 7 and if I haven't convinced you yet then I guess you'll be happy with stock/rooted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

blastman wrote: »
    None in HMV Blanchardstown, apparently they aren't carrying it at all. I was surprised at that after hearing on this thread that Swords had it.

So is there any HMV in Dublin that has unallocated stock, does anyone know?
    Anyone checked HMV in Liffey Valley today? Wondering if its worth the trip up this evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Install Google Music on your desktop, app
    There is a few default folder but if iTunes is not there click "Add" and select your iTunes library.

It will auto upload and index everything for you.

I used Double Twist ages ago with my Desire but did not really like the way it sync'd and you have to pay for wireless sync with is free on Google Music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Is there any way to prevent it switching orientation unless you specifically give an app permission to rotate... I hate pretty much everything rotated except the obvious watching a movie or playing some games.. the screen is too narrow to properly display a lot of apps in landscape IMO.. and it does my head in when they auto rotate when I'm lying in bed and the tablet thinks I just tilted it sideways.. just not a fan of landscape on this tablet at all... screen works well in portrait and I'd be happy if it would just always stay in portrait for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Did you enable it by editing the build prop file?
    I was using it before but as you said while there were some things good about it, I just couldn't get used to it. There are apparently different variations of it but I still rather the phone version.

To the above post only way I know is to lock screen rotation from the notification drop down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Currys PC World: Declan

metalfest wrote: »
    Rang PC World, was told there are none in the UK. He also explained how Southern Ireland is part of the UK...
    Well, yes kinda.... All the stores in the UK & Ireland are served from the same warehouse so it's all one big group.

They say UK & Ireland, I say Ireland & UK when I'm reporting.....

First post from Nexus.

First impressions are great. Such a good size to rapidly type with thumbs.

Also very impressed with speed and responsiveness .

Well first major problem. Flash not supported on this tablet. Some reading of XDA indicates I need to root for it to work.

A lot of streaming websites I regularly view require flash. And I don't really want to root.

Major dissapointment although I might be able to look over it. Everything is working fantastic and its such a sweet device.

No sign of Google Now. Although got a popup a out an update already. Will reboot shortly to install it.

Also notice on the right side there is a slight bit of flex where the Outer metallic edge on the screen meets the rubberised back. Giving a slight squeeze you can hear it. Again nothing major but a nuisance none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Following link provides a good guide to google now
    http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57479978-285/how-to-get-started-with-google-now/

Initially mine was just giving me a card showing the local weather, after a couple of days I had a new card with a map showing my house and office. It asked me to confirm was it my work address. I now have a card showing approx travel time to work or from work depending on traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Following link provides a good guide to google now
    http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57479978-285/how-to-get-started-with-google-now/

Initially mine was just giving me a card showing the local weather, after a couple of days I had a new card with a map showing my house and office. It asked me to confirm was it my work address. I now have a card showing approx travel time to work or from work depending on traffic.

Mine wasn't giving me anything for a few days and then it started to show me the weather, I thought it would pick up data from Latitude and give me work/home travel times. I must be confusing it by walking to work.

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Is there any way to prevent it switching orientation unless you specifically give an app permission to rotate... I hate pretty much everything rotated except the obvious watching a movie or playing some games.. the screen is too narrow to properly display a lot of apps in landscape IMO.. and it does my head in when they auto rotate when I'm lying in bed and the tablet thinks I just tilted it sideways.. just not a fan of landscape on this tablet at all... screen works well in portrait and I'd be happy if it would just always stay in portrait for me

In Settings->Display there's an option to disable auto-rotate so that should work out situations where the tablet thinks you want landscape. Not sure about permissions for individual apps that force rotate though.

OK just saw charger. How the **** is that supposed to work.

Its not even a two pin. Looks mental never seen it before.

Mantel wrote: »

In Settings->Display there's an option to disable auto-rotate so that should work out situations where the tablet thinks you want landscape. Not sure about permissions for individual apps that force rotate though.

There isn't.. It was there in pretty much any rom or version of Android version used up till now so that's what surprised me to see it missing..

Unless I'm completely blind here and can't see it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Picked mine up this evening from hmv in Sligo. Think there is a few left in there. Seems snazy enough.

We will have to set up a new thread for the best apps for tablets.

There isn't.. It was there in pretty much any rom or version of Android version used up till now so that's what surprised me to see it missing..

Wow, my Galaxy nexus is on 4.1.1 and it has that option, I just assumed that since it was the same version on the tablet it would have the same option.

• Advertisement

Check under SETTINGS, ACCESSIBILITY, AUTO ROTATE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Anyone come across a nice case with smart cover? Thinking something like the incipio feather for iPad... BTW really loving the 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

OK after a week of owning this thing I decided to factory reset while I am in the states as it means no need to setup a VPN. Couple of questions though.

When I get back to Ireland will books/movies/music no longer be available or do I get to keep them going?

If they stay active and I decide to pay for something after my 25 bucks credit is up will the zip/phone number it set up with my Irish cc cause issues?

Google wallet gave $10 free in case anyone missed that one. Think the local walgreens has NFC payment so might gobble it up there :-) .

Currently leaching off the hotels WiFi to download all the play freebies. Man we get screwed in Ireland so many freebies over here. 25 credit for play, 10 free on wallet, movies books music and mags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Slide the bar menu down and on the right of the date there is a button to lock or unlock the auto turning. Not sure what the menu is called. Its the one you slide down from the top of the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

kayos wrote: »
    Man we get screwed in Ireland so many freebies over here. 25 credit for play, 10 free on wallet, movies books music and mags.

we get screwed in everything like that.. just get an irish netflix account and compare it to see that :rolleyes:
    cant understand why we cant have a universal european technology video book tv show and movie etc rights thing...rather than it being territory specific.. guess the likes of sky sports etc would put a stop to that ever happening of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Hi

Does anyone know how to change the picture that appears at the top in Google now. I was in town a d saw a display model of the nexus 7 where the picture was specific to Dublin and there was a picture of a Dublin bus.

The picture never changes to that for me. The only thing that happens is the the background differs depending upon the time of the day.

Hi

Does anyone know how to change the picture that appears at the top in Google now. I was in town a d saw a display model of the nexus 7 where the picture was specific to Dublin and there was a picture of a Dublin bus.

The picture never changes to that for me. The only thing that happens is the the background differs depending upon the time of the day.

Google Now's background picture changes automatically depending on location and time of day. There seems to be specific pictures for city centre locations and generic combinations of hills/fields for other locations.

Google Now has decided I work at DCU :pac: I am a student there so it's not too far off I'll give it that. Just slightly annoying that every time I check it out to see did it learn anything else about me I see directions to DCU and traffic conditions on the M3 like I need to know that for the next few months :L

It still hasn't even learned to give me any other cards at all though :( Is there any way to force feed it information so it starts giving me better cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Is there a working display model on display anywhere? Deciding between this, Transformer Infinity and and iPad and I'd like an opportunity to see it in action.

It still hasn't even learned to give me any other cards at all though :( Is there any way to force feed it information so it starts giving me better cards?

Do searches for specific flights :) or a sports team you follow, not sure how well it would work with Irish/English sports.

• Advertisement

Google Now has decided I work at DCU :pac: I am a student there so it's not too far off I'll give it that. Just slightly annoying that every time I check it out to see did it learn anything else about me I see directions to DCU and traffic conditions on the M3 like I need to know that for the next few months :L

Check my earlier post on this thread with the link to the guide on CNET, you need to ensure you have the right privacy settings and web history set in your Google account.

getting there, hard to find irish apps but thats just me getting used to it. flash installed so watching tv series ok, books a bit trickier. seems the knidle version wont allow ebooks to be loaded from a pc, but will try another reader to liad up freebies... music sorted..mmm getting places!

How would I go about transferring pictures from drive to the gallery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

So is there anywhere you can buy an 8gb one? Dont really need to spend the extra money on 16gb one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Where is the cheapest place to buy this or are they all the same price no matter what store you use?

Is anyone else's Google now throwing up as random cards as mind? It's just decided to tell me I work at elara - yes I've shopped there online a few times but how did it decide I work there :-\

Well its based on the more you use it etc,

Do you use Google map check in ?

I check in daily to what I have label led home and work. Picked mine up straight away.

• Advertisement

The only thing that could make this device better would be skygo, what's app and film on support.

Advertisement