Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Have decided to get the 16gb one as the wait for 8gb one is too long and prices on eBay are rediculous.. Anyone know any stores in Dublinn cc that have stock? Thanks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

racer1 wrote: »
    Have decided to get the 16gb one as the wait for 8gb one is too long and prices on eBay are rediculous.. Anyone know any stores in Dublinn cc that have stock? Thanks

None.

PC World told me 3 weeks during the week. Argos have a similar date and HMV had no info on when their next batch would be coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

Anyone have any idea if tesco are actually selling this today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Must say the face unlock feature is really cool, I've it set so that I've to blink before it unlocks. Modern technology :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Dimithy wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea if tesco are actually selling this today?

Just wondering where you got the idea that Tescos were selling them today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

irishgeo wrote: »
    tesco got back to me

On sale July 29th but only in shops with electrical desks what ever that means?

This from earlier in the thread.

Google now has just told me where I work despite the device never been outside of my house...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Google now has just told me where I work despite the device never been outside of my house...

But your android phone was, yes?

god's toy wrote: »

But your android phone was, yes?
    Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

The only thing that could make this device better would be skygo, what's app and film on support.

do you mean sky go doesnt work on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

event wrote: »
    The only thing that could make this device better would be skygo, what's app and film on support.

do you mean sky go doesnt work on it?

Sky Go doesn't work on Jelly Bean.
    It only recently started working for ICS so we'll probably have to wait another age for it to be updated :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well its based on the more you use it etc,

Do you use Google map check in ?

I check in daily to what I have label led home and work. Picked mine up straight away.

If you go to "My Places" in Google Maps you can now set your "Home" and "Work" locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Going to buy that later. Looks decent.

Today was its first adventure outside the house, nothing of the below was actually required but was nice to see it was accurate.

Google Now informed me that my bus stop was 6 minutes walk from the house, thank you Google now :)

While on the bus, it calculated my route to work, bus into town, walking to another bus, then walking from getting of the final bus. Clocked the various journeys and the total journey time and was off by bout 4 minutes, because I got coffee :D

On the bus, usability was perfect. Was comfortable to use as my e-Reader with my kindle app, and small enough not to be ****ing massive and attracting attention. Through various glares of sun it wasnt affected in the slightest.

Anyone see any cases in walk in stores, on lunch today would like to grab soemething for piece of mine, mine operating from its box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Been keeping an eye out for cases, but haven't seen any in the shops around Dublin city centre.

Google have released the office one, but of course we can't buy it through the play store :(

http://www.product-reviews.net/2012/07/27/official-nexus-7-cases-stock-update/

I didn't have a data connection, now I'm not sure if it did it through Wifi in my house before I left, if so, how did it know my route?

It displayed a card with my direct route to work and time
    It had another card with my nearest bus stop, and the bus route it goes.
    And then another card had the second bus route, so surely that happened through just the GPS.

Pity bought the cases, they won't be stocked in retailers I'd say, and they look cheap and cheerful for what I want, essentially something to just protect the screen.

Just checked Google Now there,
    Tablets MAC address isn’t added to work Wifi yet so no data connection. Google Now is drawing a blank. So it appears it only works with a data connection.

That pretty much nullifies the whole point imo, requiring a constant tethering, which will drain my already malfunctioning batter on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

soooo, what roms are people using and what are the must do mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Cyrus wrote: »
    soooo, what roms are people using and what are the must do mods?

I'm still using Jr6 from earlier as I found this to be one that suited my needs (still haven't found any issues with it and it was updated recently). May though test out the ParanoidAndroid ROM that was mentioned on the last page as I've recently done a nandroid backup. Nothing else out really catches my fancy.

Only must do mod of top of my head would be Flash though that's included in some roms. Could also try out the Tablet UI though I'm not a fan of that yet.
    Just checked Google Now there,
    Tablets MAC address isn’t added to work Wifi yet so no data connection. Google Now is drawing a blank. So it appears it only works with a data connection.

That pretty much nullifies the whole point imo, requiring a constant tethering, which will drain my already malfunctioning batter on my phone.

Yeah I knew Google Now required data to get its information (searches etc) from the reviews I read though it was something that I wanted to test out on WIFI to see how accurate it was. You'd need a Nexus phone or something that has JB installed to get the full use out of it unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I'm still using Jr6 from earlier as I found this to be one that suited my needs (still haven't found any issues with it and it was updated recently). May though test out the ParanoidAndroid ROM that was mentioned on the last page as I've recently done a nandroid backup. Nothing else out really catches my fancy.

Only must do mod of top of my head would be Flash though that's included in some roms. Could also try out the Tablet UI though I'm not a fan of that yet.

is JR6 the modaco rom?

dont like the way the nav bars are on the side in landscape :(

Yeah that's it.

I don't normally have my tablet in landscape (except for watching stuff) so that's not as much an issue for me. That is also just a prebake option - if your a registered/paid user of Modaco you can cook your own version which gives you the bars where you want them along with other things so I'd say its also possible to edit that yourself once you know what your looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Breezer wrote: »
    Is there a working display model on display anywhere? Deciding between this, Transformer Infinity and and iPad and I'd like an opportunity to see it in action.
    So..... On display anywhere? Anybody?

Breezer wrote: »
    So..... On display anywhere? Anybody?

I'm presuming most on display models may have been sold though your best best would be PC World as a quick search of this thread indicates there was one in PC World in the Jervis Centre a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

dregin wrote: »
    Been keeping an eye out for cases, but haven't seen any in the shops around Dublin city centre.

Google have released the office one, but of course we can't buy it through the play store :(

Heck I am in Nashville and no where has a case for the nexus 7. Best buy USA are not stocking the tablet so won't stock accessories.

One of the guys in the office has the official case and doesn't like it.

The shops that are stocking the nexus are all out of stock of them and have no eta. They were surprised I got one on release in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 llandai

Anyone had any problems with their nexus 7? Got mine last Thursday in PC world and today it has just gone dead!! Battery was fully charged this morning and it had only been on for about 10 minutes when it just turned itself off and now it won't turn on or take a charge or do anything in fact!! Anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

llandai wrote: »
    Anyone had any problems with their nexus 7? Got mine last Thursday in PC world and today it has just gone dead!! Battery was fully charged this morning and it had only been on for about 10 minutes when it just turned itself off and now it won't turn on or take a charge or do anything in fact!! Anyone else have this problem?

No issues here on Battery, life is great on it and really gets a hard time on some days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

BrookieD wrote: »
    No issues here on Battery, life is great on it and really gets a hard time on some days.

Snap.

Though I even set it up to turn off the Wifi when the screen is off.
    I found when i got home, it wasn't always fully sync'd with what I'd done on my Galaxy Nexus, so this way, it saves extra battery and when the screen comes on it brings everything back in sync! :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Some pictures of it http://imgur.com/a/iyGOw

The people that have it aren't happy with it, the flap that's supposed to cover the screen doesn't have anything to secure it and it's not too ridged so it'll just fall open or get pushed aside if stuff moves around in your bag. I'm more interested in the dock, this thing won't be leaving the house much and having a dock I can just drop it in to would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 hu4rorZ

huge thanks to everyone in the thread,
    got my nexus7 from hmv , and have setup the US account with the instructions posted. Used the beta Tunnelbear app, costs 5per month, but worked a charm for dumbing down the VPN side of things
    have the credit all sorted now. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Any way to listen to YouTube in one tab, and browse on another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

GrumPy wrote: »
    Using chrome find video and when you attempt to play video you'll get a pop up asking to use YouTube app or chrome to watch video... Choose chrome and select just this time, and then just open new tab.... Pretty straight forward :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

GrumPy wrote: »
    Using chrome find video and when you attempt to play video you'll get a pop up asking to use YouTube app or chrome to watch video... Choose chrome and select just this time, and then just open new tab.... Pretty straight forward :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

If and supposing I was to have an argument with my wife tonight and then order one of these as my way of retaliating where is the best place to order online to get it soonest?

Chet T16 wrote: »
    If and supposing I was to have an argument with my wife tonight and then order one of these as my way of retaliating where is the best place to order online to get it soonest?

Argos are the only place I can get a definite date for orders online and it's August 16th. None of the rest have it on their sites yet.

• Advertisement

hu4rorZ wrote: »
    huge thanks to everyone in the thread,
    got my nexus7 from hmv , and have setup the US account with the instructions posted. Used the beta Tunnelbear app, costs 5per month, but worked a charm for dumbing down the VPN side of things
    have the credit all sorted now. Cheers!

Was that a pre-ordered unit, were you lucky enough to nab one in the first batch or have they got more stock in?

Sorry, I'm just desperate to get my hands on one :) Thanks!

Argos are the only place I can get a definite date for orders online and it's August 16th. None of the rest have it on their sites yet.
    They have changed that date 3times in the past week!

They have changed that date 3times in the past week!

ORLY? HMV Grafton Street told me they expected another batch in this week! We'll see, I suppose.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Snap.

Though I even set it up to turn off the Wifi when the screen is off.
    I found when i got home, it wasn't always fully sync'd with what I'd done on my Galaxy Nexus, so this way, it saves extra battery and when the screen comes on it brings everything back in sync! :-D

How did you set it up to turn off wifi when screen is off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Mactard wrote: »
    How did you set it up to turn off wifi when screen is off?

Hey...
    So, Settings->Wifi->(menu button)Advanced->'Keep Wifi on during Sleep'. Select 'Only When Plugged in' or 'Never'. Selecting 'Always' will obviously always keep wifi on when it's sleeping. I've it set to 'Only When Plugged in'.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hu4rorZ

Was that a pre-ordered unit, were you lucky enough to nab one in the first batch or have they got more stock in?

Sorry, I'm just desperate to get my hands on one :) Thanks!

i got super lucky and got a pre-order in last week in HMV grafton st.

Not sure I feel the need for a dock, but a cover, yes please.

I'm carrying mine around in the box in my bag haha

As the device can only connect to wifi I don't have much need for a carry case, but if one doubles as a bag I would be extremely interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Annoying, Google don't make it easy to order one from the UK either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I wonder will the next batch have the screen issues fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Annoying, Google don't make it easy to order one from the UK either!

I went home to NI at the weekend and intended on ordering one from the play store. Signed in and it told me Google could not accept payments from my location - google account tied to Ireland.

So I made a new account with my NI address details and tried to pay, couldn't accept payment from my Irish bank card.

Pain in the hole.

Considering their EU HQ is located here, you'd think we would be on the list of " First available regions"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Considering their EU HQ is located here, you'd think we would be on the list of " First available regions"

its all do with movie and book copyright. our laws are way behind the times.

irishgeo wrote: »

its all do with movie and book copyright. our laws are way behind the times.
    Do these laws have a similar affect for using itunes?

• Advertisement
Advertisement