Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I wonder will the next batch have the screen issues fixed.

My screen is 100% perfect, which I wasnt expecting after my iPad experience - which suffered from light leakage, it was replaced by apple but the next one also suffered from the same problem.

I'm absolutely delighted with the build quality of the nexus 7.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Do these laws have a similar affect for using itunes?

Of course, it took iTunes years to have content available in the republic, hopefully it won't take google as long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

irishgeo wrote: »
    its all do with movie and book copyright. our laws are way behind the times.

I was referencing more to wards being able to buy Google products direct, aswell as accessories etc

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭liamhana

In my haste to get it working etc & not really wanting google to know my every move I didnt sign into google now....now that I've got the basics sorted I decided to get a 'handle' on google now but couldnt sign in....one download of the manual later & its working great. Sometimes its better to read manuals first!
    I did the whole downloading flash/firefox thing but havent had the time to check if its working okay yet!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Acquired! Got the call from HMV Grafton Street this morning. Can't start playing with it until I make up the 45 minutes I took off work to run down to them :( Still. Delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Does anyone know how to get Facebook calendar events to sync into the calendar on the Nexus 7?

I have this working on my Galaxy S2 but can't seem to work out how to get it on the Nexus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Does anyone know how to get Facebook calendar events to sync into the calendar on the Nexus 7?

I have this working on my Galaxy S2 but can't seem to work out how to get it on the Nexus!

Get an App called 'HaxSync'

I've been using it since it came out on my Galaxy Nexus.
    You add it as an Account. it'll sync high res profile pics and you can have it sync your calendar events from face book (even specifiy which ones - Accepted, Not Going, etc...)
    It's 99cent, but worth it.

ONE thing though, the developer is working through some issues introduced with Jelly Bean and had to enable a 'Workaround' to stop Jelly Bean deleting the account after reboot. It's gone from being perfect to, slightly less.
    you used to be able to see the persons FB time line on their contact, but Jelly Bean broke that for the moment.
    He's been super helpful and I've been helping him test stuff to try get it fixed.

BUT, if you're looking for FB Calendar events to be visible on your Nexus 7 calendar, this will do that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

HMV seems to be the best bet for availability at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Is it worth having a separate thread now that the device has been available for 2 weeks now? A lot of the posts on this thread are discussing availability. Would be cool to have a separate thread discussing apps, cool features, guides & links on rooting, tips & tricks etc… :)

• Advertisement

Defo. I kept coming back when I saw new posts hoping that it'd be stock info, but it was just someone talking about apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I nominate GrumPy to start a new thread on this ;)

Your right though most of the last 5 pages have been about availability or covers. Most of our workarounds/tips etc are buried now back 10+ pages ago.

You could call a new thread the Nexus 7 Modding Thread or something similar as that works for other phones/tablets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

TheDoc wrote: »
    I was referencing more to wards being able to buy Google products direct, aswell as accessories etc

The Nexus 7 is designed to have a big push on the play services. Theyre not going to be interested in selling it when they cant sell the services with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Had a play with a display model today as this is the first tablet I've actually considered buying.

One word: Disappointed.

The browser was very laggy. Loaded up Engadget and was not impressed. Scrolling was laggy as hell and I had to wait a second or two before some of the page was rendered when I was scrolling down. Zooming in and moving around was equally choppy. Just not snappy like you'd expect. My mothers 1st gen iPad is smoother!

So I certainly won't be buying it. I'll stick to my trusty laptop, and SGS2 when I'm out and about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Elessar wrote: »
    Had a play with a display model today as this is the first tablet I've actually considered buying.

The browser was very laggy. Loaded up Engadget and was not impressed. Scrolling was laggy as hell and I had to wait a second or two before some of the page was rendered when I was scrolling down. Zooming in and moving around was equally choppy. Just not snappy like you'd expect. My mothers 1st gen iPad is smoother!

So I certainly won't be buying it. I'll stick to my trusty laptop, and SGS2 when I'm out and about.
    Where has enough stock that they can afford to have a display model :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Speaking from my experience, I always make sure I restart any tablet on display before using it. They have been running everything and anything before you get to play and perform as intended after a restart. Plus as it's using wifi only you cant fully get a feeling in a store how it will perform on the net as you don't know the wifi condition's it's connecting to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Well re the browser I'm using it tethered to my galaxy nexus on the bus to work and the browser doesn't lag at all. Just loaded Engadget and it smooth as well butter...mind you the port tunnel does play havoc with my phones 3g connection!
    Had a play with a display model today as this is the

first tablet I've actually considered buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I've been following this thread with interest as I have one on pre-order. This is the first post I have seen in relation to it being laggy in 800+ posts so I'd say there was something amiss with the display device as god's toy suggested.

Just to add to the chorus, there's no lag on my n7, and as I've owned an ipad2 I'll say that I noticed more render issues with that than the n7 (but just to be absolutely clear, those render issues where few and negligible)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

god's toy is spot on. Any time I test a tablet in-store I always check what other apps are running. In any Apple store you go into, if you look at the iPads on display you'll often find up to 30 apps running in the background because people just don't switch them off...

Also, if the wi-fi you are on is laggy then of course any testing of the device browsing capacity is going to provide poor results.

I'm still considering if I can justify the cash for an N7, especially as I already have an iPad. For me the main advantage would be the portability but to be honest, that's not really that much of an issue with the iPad anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah have to say aswell, not an ounce of lag on mine, and its getting some heavy use.

Its integrated seemlessly into my day to day, and not a hitch so far

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Super tablet, seriously impressed. Google Now is actually quite usable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Slaanesh wrote: »
    Super tablet, seriously impressed. Google Now is actually quite usable!

If you have an android phone, how do you link google now to the device? Do you have to change security settings on the phone? I have no cards available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

If you played with it on the display model in Jervis street then ignore the lag. Someone put it into some sort of verbose mode that makes it seriously slow, the maps app was basically unusable. You'd think they'd fix it as it can't be making a good impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

tesco price is 278

more info on stock from their customer service line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

irishgeo wrote: »
    tesco price is 278

more info on stock from their customer service line.

wtf

hmv was 240:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Just got a phone call ....on my way out to collect mine now \0/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Where you buy it?
    jonski wrote: »
    Just got a phone call ....on my way out to collect mine now \0/

HMV Grafton Street just rang me again to say they just got more stock in... my name hadn't been taken off the list after I picked mine up yesterday. I was honest and told em I'd already collected mine, but someone here might be able to run in and grab one before they're all gone again :D

HMV and fair play to the manager out there ...I had phoned and called out there a few times before they got them in last week and was given conflicting advice and told I couldn't pre-order, and when they finally arrived I missed getting one by a few minutes so he pulled a few strings and asked a few favours and managed to get me one from one of the other shops .

So, do Tesco have them or?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

HMV and fair play to the manager out there ...I had phoned and called out there a few times before they got them in last week and was given conflicting advice and told I couldn't pre-order, and when they finally arrived I missed getting one by a few minutes so he pulled a few strings and asked a few favours and managed to get me one from one of the other shops .

I pre-ordered in HMV Drogheda on the 21st of July and I've been fobbed off that there's no stock anywhere etc. Just off the phone again with them and no joy, waiting on stock, sold out etc. Look's like pre-ordered stock is not getting to some of the regional stores. I wouldn't mind I could have got one in Swords but decided to give the business to the local store. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Called into HMV Grafton street this evening and they had none.... Said it be middle of month but they have been promised 4000 units by google....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Dingatron wrote: »

I pre-ordered in HMV Drogheda on the 21st of July and I've been fobbed off that there's no stock anywhere etc. Just off the phone again with them and no joy, waiting on stock, sold out etc. Look's like pre-ordered stock is not getting to some of the regional stores. I wouldn't mind I could have got one in Swords but decided to give the business to the local store. :mad:

I was gonna try them this week to see if they or dundalk had any. obviously not :(

Might wait for argos.

That Tesco price is a joke

racer1 wrote: »
    Called into HMV Grafton street this evening and they had none.... Said it be middle of month but they have been promised 4000 units by google....

Put your name on the waiting list. I put my mate's on it yesterday and he got the call for one today!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

What's the story with GooglePlay? I tried to access the Nexus 7 Guidebook and was reminded that "the service is not yet available in your country".

For someone who is new to Android is there a good website where one can learn the basics of navigating Android. There are lots of mediocre videos on YouTube but I'm looking for a tutorial on using Android, even version 4 which can't be very much different to Jellybean.

I just set my location in my google account settings to the US and have full access to google music. Not sure if it has much impact on other services since I don't use em much.

ttenneb wrote: »
    What's the story with GooglePlay? I tried to access the Nexus 7 Guidebook and was reminded that "the service is not yet available in your country".

As has been mentioned before Google region locks its stores so what your trying to access is not available yet here (we only get the App store). If you do want to read it you can use the VPN trick or use the Chrome Books add-in in your PC browser.

To get used to the Android OS I can only recommned just playing around with the device and trying different things. If your not sure of something just google it or ask here. It how I got used to it originally on my phone so moving onto the tablet was easy.
    dregin wrote: »
    I just set my location in my google account settings to the US and have full access to google music. Not sure if it has much impact on other services since I don't use em much.

Play Music is available without the US settings as a way of accessing your music (on the device or in the cloud), you just cannot access Music in the play store. So you can listen to your own music but you just can't purchase anything.

Play Music is available without the US settings as a way of accessing your music (on the device or in the cloud), you just cannot access Music in the play store. So you can listen to your own music but you just can't purchase anything.

Fair enough. I had to do it when Google Music first came out. It's obviously changed since.

Yeah I remeber registering for that ages ago using a USA VPN when it first came out though I think it's now open to us since last year though as usual we still can't buy songs from store unless you go back to using a VPN. At least we can upload our own collection ;)

• Advertisement

I'd actually pay for more space having maxed out the 20,000 MP3 limit!

I assume nobody has picked one up in HMV Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I use us-unblocker to watch the us netflix,would i be able to use that for the missings features?

Im still not sure what im missing out on tho,books and movies is it?I have them allready with the us netflix ill be hard done not to find something to watch and books are for nerds :cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

...and books are for nerds

What a ridiculous statement

It was a joke.

It was a joke.

If I wanted to expand my memory with the stick mount what's the best memory to get,

• Advertisement

If I wanted to expand my memory with the stick mount what's the best memory to get,

It's up to you regarding how much space you actually need and the portability of it.

Stickmount is just a workaround app on the device that you need to use with an OTG usb cable, so whatever memory you decide to buy (usb stick, hard drive, card reader etc) will need to connect into that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Trying to get one of these in Limerick is proving an unpleasant task. HMV don't seem to have a clue to be honest. I called on Monday, the guy told me to call back regularly, they got 5 in, but sold them quickly. Called today, the girl said there's no chance of getting it before September, and they only got 2 in. Curry's is €20 more expensive, but they seem to know what they're doing at least.

It's up to you regarding how much space you actually need and the portability of it.

Stickmount is just a workaround app on the device that you need to use with an OTG usb cable, so whatever memory you decide to buy (usb stick, hard drive, card reader etc) will need to connect into that.

Card reader sounds good to me,I'm off to buy a otg USB cable,going to do a search now but you or anyone know the best place to buy it?

Card reader sounds good to me,I'm off to buy a otg USB cable,going to do a search now but you or anyone know the best place to buy it?

Well not maplins in limerick anyway , just called in there and they had no idea what I was talking about .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Found this on amazon uk yesterday!
    Not sure if they deliver to ireland, but it's a good starting point!

• Advertisement
Advertisement