Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Has anyone been able to find one of these OTG cables in a bricks and mortar store in Ireland ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

metalfest wrote: »
    I assume nobody has picked one up in HMV Cork?

I too would like to know this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

So does anyone have one of these and a large sized phone such as the One X or the SIII? And if so, how are you finding it?

Really interested in one, but not sure how viable it is to also have a 4.7inch phone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

jonski wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to find one of these OTG cables in a bricks and mortar store in Ireland ?

Right , for anyone in the Limerick area there is a small electronics shop in Thomas Street and they have the cables in there for €10 . They seem to be a fairly regular cable for the Galaxy SII as it is referenced in a good few of the links that I found online and also in that shop that was the lable on the packet . I didn't buy one as I had just ordered one online a few hours before I saw this and I was to cheap to pay a €10 for a second one when they are only around the €2 mark online .

• Registered Users Posts: 21 trevordurity

Ditto to that. The N7 is great for magazines, browsing, watching netflix, etc. Far more comfortable to use than the smartphone for most things and has the upside that the phone last longer on a charge now ;-)

+ it's nice not having to boot up (or carry) a laptop to check out some quick information on the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Same here - I just got the SIII having had the SII before it. Going between the N7 and SII was such a pain, too small a screen on the SII. It's the perfect difference with the SIII and N7. Do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

You really notice if you have bad backlight bleed on white backgrounds. For example if you start up chrome (i.e. with a blank page) you'll notice it. It's really annoying on websites or looking on books

For example this was mine: http://i.imgur.com/x22i8.jpg. I sent mine back recently so unfortunately will have to wait till more back in stock. Hopefully will be from a re-modified second batch!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hope the hype on these dies down soon so I can buy one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

So does anyone know where and when the next Irish retailer will have these available for purchase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Was listening to Steve Gibson's latest "Security Now" podcast earlier this evening and he has a Nexus 7, says it is a very impressive piece of kit for $200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

The_Thing wrote: »
    Was listening to Steve Gibson's latest "Security Now" podcast earlier this evening and he has a Nexus 7, says it is a very impressive piece of kit for $200.
    I can confirm that it is a very impressive piece of kit, but I paid 240 euro.
    Only a few downfalls for me so far, skygo app doesn't work again, would be so handy if it did.
    No flash support unless you decide to root the device. This means various websites will not work properly such as filmon and the rte player.
    Lack of content in the play store, we get a raw deal compared to the Americans.
    Lots of apps not optimised for tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭liamhana

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Only a few downfalls for me so far, skygo app doesn't work again, would be so handy if it did.
    No flash support unless you decide to root the device. This means various websites will not work properly such as filmon and the rte player.

You dont need to root it for flash, download it from 4share.com (.apk version) & install the mozilla app....works fine for me - although it takes a while longer to load than the laptop.
    Google play store is fairly poor that the moment though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

You really notice if you have bad backlight bleed on white backgrounds. For example if you start up chrome (i.e. with a blank page) you'll notice it. It's really annoying on websites or looking on books

For example this was mine: http://i.imgur.com/x22i8.jpg. I sent mine back recently so unfortunately will have to wait till more back in stock. Hopefully will be from a re-modified second batch!

Have also noticed a small issue when reading sometihng with a white screen, getting a small flickering every now and then. Only noticeable on a white screen though

Patsy fyre wrote: »

I'll back it up that it is impressive though some of the build issues leave a bit of a bad taste (though thankfully that is currently being resolved in my case).

Regarding the other points though:
    As mentioned already and before you do not need to root get flash working though I don't understand most peoples reluctence to root their devices. I'm not going through the pluses of rooting (access to US Play Store, additional apps you can install etc) as i've done this in other posts but I would like to know what people have against it.

My understanding why people don't do it:
    1) It's too complicated (afraid you may be brick device etc). There are quite a few Rootkits out now that by reading carefully and following the instructions you can complete the whole process in about 10mins or less. There are also plenty of methods for recovering your device if something does go wrong (which it shouldn't!).
    2) It voids your warrenty. In order to root your device you need to unlock your bootloader which afaik do void your warrenty as it shows you tampered with your device. You can easily un-root your device and relock your bootloader - manually or by using the before mentioned rootkit. I know this works as I did it myself without issues before returning my Nexus.
    3) Previous issues with other devices after rooting i.e. battery life etc. This could be a number of factors such are your device, did it have previous issues, the rom your using. For example I've rooted my SGII and had increased battery life while I know others who have done the same and got a decreased battery life. All I know is I have rooted my N7 and didn't notice any change and that in my opinion is how it should be!

Just not interested in rooting tbh. Mainly due to the many horror stories that I have heard about also the work involved and I simply don't have time to be constantly tinkering with it.

I just wish the device worked properly out of the box. Everything can be hacked to get it to work in a particular way. Skygo app when it finally does become available won't work with any rooted devices.
    So flash works if download the apk. And use the Firefox browser? But I want to use chrome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My understanding why people don't do it:
    3) Previous issues with other devices after rooting i.e. battery life etc. This could be a number of factors such are your device, did it have previous issues, the rom your using. For example I've rooted my SGII and had increased battery life while I know others who have done the same and got a decreased battery life. All I know is I have rooted my N7 and didn't notice any change and that in my opinion is how it should be!

That's me in a nutshell.

I wont deny rooting has some positives, but its a volatile experience. I hear just as many bad stories as good.

My HTC Desire was the first phone I rooted. There was weeks spent messing around getting ROMS. The phone never had a hitch, but I got greedy and wanted to get more. Unstable ROMs constantly crashing, and then when I finally got a stable one, it corrupted some underlying software on the phone and the microphone would not work.

This saga went on for MONTHS as shops wouldnt take it in with the custom ROM, and the very "simple" unrooting process refused to work, no matter who I got to try or how I tried. Eventually a friend working in a store took it and sent off for repair, it came back thankfully factory reset and the issue was identified as OS causing corruption.

I rooted my SGII to essentially get ICS, as I'd been waiting nearly 8 months for the official release. All of a sudden my battery starts to get zapped for no apparent reason. I went through the process again and while the battery is better, the Android OS is taking up nearly 50% of my usage, which is ridiculous.

Rooted my Xoom and the ROM's I was recommended I used for a week, and after experiencing reboots and crashes unrooted.

While there are definitly some good cases to root, anyone who says its zero risk is lying. I'm quit capable when it comes to tech and the stuff I own, and its been a nightmare messing around.

So far not a hitch with my Nexus, like there was never a crash, reboot or hang on any of my other stuff, so I very much decided early on never to root this, as much as not having flash is killing me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

TheDoc wrote: »
    That's me in a nutshell.

I wont deny rooting has some positives, but its a volatile experience. I hear just as many bad stories as good.

My HTC Desire was the first phone I rooted. There was weeks spent messing around getting ROMS. The phone never had a hitch, but I got greedy and wanted to get more. Unstable ROMs constantly crashing, and then when I finally got a stable one, it corrupted some underlying software on the phone and the microphone would not work.

This saga went on for MONTHS as shops wouldnt take it in with the custom ROM, and the very "simple" unrooting process refused to work, no matter who I got to try or how I tried. Eventually a friend working in a store took it and sent off for repair, it came back thankfully factory reset and the issue was identified as OS causing corruption.

I rooted my SGII to essentially get ICS, as I'd been waiting nearly 8 months for the official release. All of a sudden my battery starts to get zapped for no apparent reason. I went through the process again and while the battery is better, the Android OS is taking up nearly 50% of my usage, which is ridiculous.

Rooted my Xoom and the ROM's I was recommended I used for a week, and after experiencing reboots and crashes unrooted.

While there are definitly some good cases to root, anyone who says its zero risk is lying. I'm quit capable when it comes to tech and the stuff I own, and its been a nightmare messing around.

So far not a hitch with my Nexus, like there was never a crash, reboot or hang on any of my other stuff, so I very much decided early on never to root this, as much as not having flash is killing me

Flash can be installed without root!
    Just sideload the apk from somewhere and isntall like any other .apk.
    Doesn't work on all browsers but some should still work.

• Advertisement

I have never unlocked or rooted anything before . My HTC Desire S is still stock , I like it the way it is . I like the N7 the way it is BUT the inability to add extra storage was a problem for me . I downloaded one program , ran it on my PC with the N7 connected....clicked backup , it backed it up , clicked unlock ...it unlocked it , clicked root ...and it was rooted . Now I can connect a USB drive to it . I don't want or need to do anymore to it . My first experience was a positive one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

What is the story with stocks in Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

A few questions, looking for some honest answers.

I'm coming from an Ainol Aurora (Mali 400 GPU). The tablet plays any video, any resolution, any format, with no issues.

I am stumbling across people making excuses for non optimised Tegra 3 video players. Does the Nexus 7 play HD .mkv's and similar with no issues whatsoever?

What about the lack of a Home and\or Return button on the frame? I find it is much easier to flick a finger along the frame to back out of an app, or go to the Home screen, rather than bring a digit down to the screen.

Have any of you remapped the volume buttons to Return \ Home buttons?

Is heat an issue?

Is the battery life 'practical', does it go past the four hour mark in real world use, as in, lugging it about into your local town, using it on public transport\out and about?

I'd quite happily stay with the Aurora, but the battery is lousy and it is really more of a bedside\sofa surfer. NFC\Bluetooth and higher screen resolution are tempting me, but I just see reservations about the Tegra hardware itself, here and there..

Amalgam wrote: »
    A few questions, looking for some honest answers.

I am stumbling across people making excuses for non optimised Tegra 3 video players. Does the Nexus 7 play HD .mkv's and similar with no issues whatsoever?

It seems to play everything for me ...but not with the stock player , I had to install MX player .

Is heat an issue?

I have seen no issue with heat but I haven't had it playing Video for extended periods yet ...haven't read anything on the internet about heat issues .
    Is the battery life 'practical', does it go past the four hour mark in real world use, as in, lugging it about into your local town, using it on public transport\out and about?

This answer is a bit of a non helper but I had it running for just standard browsing and checking out apps and checking the news and whatnot and when I checked it last night it had gone 2 Days and 11 Hours without charging and it wasn't crying out to be charged .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I tried getting flash to work on my device all i can get is video and no sound,only tried it with rte player anyone have any ideas why this is?

I tried getting flash to work on my device all i can get is video and no sound,only tried it with rte player anyone have any ideas why this is?

May be browser version or flash version? Does it work with other sites/applications?

I think it works better in an older version of Firefox beta.

• Advertisement

you dont have the older version of beta by any chance?

Saves me searching.

Saves me searching.

Sorry only saw your post now but in case you didn't find it here is a link to all the version of it ;):

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/

Just choose version, android then language to download the apk.

Saves me searching.

Sorry only saw your post now but in case you didn't find it here is a link to all the version of it ;):

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/

Just choose version, android then language to download the apk.

Installed boat browser works perfect now'rhanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Can I just say that all though this is getting OT and that we should really provide a rooting thread, there is a big difference between rooting and installing a custom ROM. Most of these issues mentioned are from custom ROMs or kernels. Also, unlinked an soffed HTC Google provide stock images to make it easy to restore. You can PM me with any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    Can I just say that all though this is getting OT and that we should really provide a rooting thread, there is a big difference between rooting and installing a custom ROM. Most of these issues mentioned are from custom ROMs or kernels. Also, unlinked an soffed HTC Google provide stock images to make it easy to restore. You can PM me with any questions.

Already a different thread for that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056715420

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

argos out to the 30th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Heading up to Dublin this evening? Would I be crazy to think anywhere would have this in stock?! :P

Yes!

Though Currys/PC World is apparently getting stock in very soon.... unfortunately for you it's sounds like it may be early next week!

I bring good News pepople!!
    My update for this afternoon is that stock will arrive into a number of stores on Monday / Tuesday. The locations are Blanchardstown, Jervis, Liffey Valley, Carrickmines, Galway and Mahon Point.

Stock per store will be 30 +. Most of that will be available for sale but we will of course have to put some product aside for any exchanges in the first instance. That won't be that much stock either.

While i have the locations I don't as yet have the stores. i.e in Galway I'm not sure of the allocation between Currys and PC World.

I'll post more information as and when I have it over the weekend. It's good news that reasonable stocks are guaranteed. I'm not going to run any reservations, we'll do it on a first come first served basis and I'll advise on exactly when the stock will arrive in store when I get that information.

We are adjusting our pricing to € 249.99.

mahon point eh? Pity I don't have the cash :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

What is the best place to buy these online for use in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Did it take anyone else a retarded amount of time to realise where the 3 plug adaptor for the charger was in the box? Had been using a spare charger for the last two weeks, went to take out the usb cable today and finally copped the bottom compartment.
    *facepalm*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

mahon point eh? Pity I don't have the cash :'(

a fantastically useful member of staff told me on the phone that they had them today. so I drive over only to be told that they won't have them for three weeks.

I'm not impressed company.

mawk wrote: »
    a fantastically useful member of staff told me on the phone that they had them today. so I drive over only to be told that they won't have them for three weeks.

I'm not impressed company.

WTF! You should have slapped him one :D

I would like to know this too

• Advertisement

I would like to know this too

I haven't seen many places that sell them online (except of course the play store) but I got mine online from Currys during the pre-order phase for around 266 including delivery. Expensive but worth skipping the queues and getting it delivered to my door.

Based on what Declan has said in the other thread, he expects their online store to get them around the same time as stores I mentioned earlier but think you have to be quick. Would work around 256 including next day delivery (or near enough) I'd say based on recent price reduction.

I can't understand how netflix can work with jellybean on day 1 and it takes sky around 6 months to figure it out. There will most likely be a new os out by then anyway. Considering android outsells ios by 4 to1 they are really taking the pi$$.

I Would really love for this to work on my n7. Soooo frustrating

I haven't seen many places that sell them online (except of course the play store) but I got mine online from Currys during the pre-order phase for around 266 including delivery. Expensive but worth skipping the queues and getting it delivered to my door.

Based on what Declan has said in the other thread, he expects their online store to get them around the same time as stores I mentioned earlier but think you have to be quick. Would work around 256 including next day delivery (or near enough) I'd say based on recent price reduction.

How long is delivery from the play store?where do they ship from?can you link me to the store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

How long is delivery from the play store?where do they ship from?can you link me to the store?

Play store ships to US & UK only

Ah crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Play store ships to US & UK only

Will it be hit by customs? If not, can you use parcel motel to get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just to remind peeps, if you really want one now from the UK you can use many types of sites just like this one:

http://www.deliverme.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Will it be hit by customs? If not, can you use parcel motel to get it?

You need a UK/US credit card to purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Is Currys 256 for the 16gb one and is it a good price? It is 199/249 dollars from source excluding delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Is Currys 256 a good price? It is 200 dollars from source excluding delivery.

Its 200 for the 8gb excluding delivery & sales tax.
    Currys price is fine

Advertisement