Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

draffodx wrote: »
    It's crazy that international companies have made Ireland a technological hub and yet our government haven't a clue about how to bring Ireland up to scratch with the technological age, the broadband roll out, digital license laws, the "sopa" debacle, its a joke, the country has huge potential and is always let down by those chosen to run it.

The fun of democracy (our flavour of it anyway). Allow any gimp to run, get enough gimps to follow him for whatever reason (ah sure his father was lovely and he got Mary her passport) then give him power over stuff he has no idea about while surrounded by yes men.
    Maybe dictatorship isnt so bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Off to the US in Sep and really hope it's in some stores by then!
    Getting the "bring me back one" from everyone now too.

Cant wait to play... bit of a wait all the same. deliverme.ie sounds like good idea. Anyone used them before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

http://androidcommunity.com/google-nexus-7-16gb-heading-to-the-uk-july-20th-20120628/

Hopefully it'll be available here soon after.

Edit, should have read the page before first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

god's toy wrote: »
    Off to the US in Sep and really hope it's in some stores by then!
    Getting the "bring me back one" from everyone now too.

Cant wait to play... bit of a wait all the same. deliverme.ie sounds like good idea. Anyone used them before?

I used them to get a laptop from the dell uk outlett, excellent service, it was next day delivered cost about 30 euros I think but I payed for insurance I probably didnt need :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

pedatron wrote: »
    Is there an actual legitimate reason why we cannot get the tablet in Ireland? Surely the country's infrastructure is almost identical to the UK. Is it something legal? I know many of the play store options aren't available but is this Googles choice or the choice of law makers in the country? I remember reading something similar about netflix having huge difficulties acquiring licences and the likes when they were starting in Ireland. Their selection still isn't a patch on that of its us counterpart. Sam applies to such services as spotify and last fm. What's the deal?

Seeing that PC World, Tesco and Carfone Warehouse are selling it in the UK I would ask on the PC World board if they will be stocking it here like they did with the Kindle when it wasn't officially on sale here last year. I also can't see Tesco not shipping units they get in the UK to some of the larger Irish stores. If not a trip up north or deliverme.ie would be required as mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

pedatron wrote: »
    Is there an actual legitimate reason why we cannot get the tablet in Ireland? Surely the country's infrastructure is almost identical to the UK. Is it something legal? I know many of the play store options aren't available but is this Googles choice or the choice of law makers in the country? I remember reading something similar about netflix having huge difficulties acquiring licences and the likes when they were starting in Ireland. Their selection still isn't a patch on that of its us counterpart. Sam applies to such services as spotify and last fm. What's the deal?
    I would guess that as the tablet was built in only 4 months they won't have enough units to launch in every country so they prioritised.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭MrGarak

Their EU Headquarters being in Dublin should count for something though! Wonder if anyone that works there is getting an early present ;)

Might go the eBay route if it's not available in the shops for ages.

MrGarak wrote: »
    Their EU Headquarters being in Dublin should count for something though! Wonder if anyone that works there is getting an early present ;)

Might go the eBay route if it's not available in the shops for ages.
    I dont see why people put so much into this :/
    EU headquarters mean nothing when the laws around holding up the products main content delivery system arent worth a piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

think I've finally found my first tablet! :)

Really like the look of this though, and to think it'll be only 200€ too. I'll be getting this in a couple of months without doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

if i was to pre order the tablet from the play store would they deliver to me here in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

I think an 8.5 inch to 9 inch screen would be the sweet spot for a tablet. Anything bigger is likely to be too awkward and heavy to hold for long periods of time, anything smaller will require zooming in on text which is a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What about when they go on holiday and want a few movies to watch and there's no wifi or cloud ?

They're going on holiday to Zimbabwe? :eek:

Sorry couldn't resist. I'll get me coat... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The Verge have a review up already.

I'd be interested in trying the 7" form factor. From what I've used of the iPad, it's a bit unwieldy, but once you get comfortable the screen size is great for reading.

Both Google and Microsoft going for 16:9 is interesting. My thumbs can't stretch very far when the iPad is in portrait mode, what 16:9 will be like? Apple aren't known for being reactionary, so I wonder will they ever change from 4:3.

It's great to see three big vendors competing with their own devices. It'll be interesting to see where it all ends up.
    bpb101 wrote: »
    what happened to nexus 1 through 6
    They didn't make it...

3445596344_1cf90bc01b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

unkel wrote: »
    They're going on holiday to Zimbabwe? :eek:

Sorry couldn't resist. I'll get me coat... :o

I went on a holiday in Australia , and wifi was like gold dust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I was going to buy my young lad a Ainol Aurora 2 for his birthday in October but I will deffo get him a Nexus 7 instead, hopefully their shouldn't be a problem with getting one by then.

From the Verge's review the battery life looks decent enough. Pity there is no HDMI port on it or it could have doubled as a Google TV.

Google are definitely going to sell a bucket load of these (even if they are not making any money on it). They will knock out a huge part of the Chinese tablet market, anyone intending on spending $130+ on a Chinese tablet must surely be looking at a Nexus 7 instead now. No messing about installing custom roms, worries about warranty issues etc. $200 now buys you something you know will work straight out of the box and (hopefully) shouldn't have any quality issues.

Question is whether they will expand the range to a 10" tablet as well?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Already a couple of rumours about a 10 inch being on the cards but nothing concrete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Do-more wrote: »
    I was going to buy my young lad a Ainol Aurora 2 for his birthday in October but I will deffo get him a Nexus 7 instead, hopefully their shouldn't be a problem with getting one by then.

From the Verge's review the battery life looks decent enough. Pity there is no HDMI port on it or it could have doubled as a Google TV.

Google are definitely going to sell a bucket load of these (even if they are not making any money on it). They will knock out a huge part of the Chinese tablet market, anyone intending on spending $130+ on a Chinese tablet must surely be looking at a Nexus 7 instead now. No messing about installing custom roms, worries about warranty issues etc. $200 now buys you something you know will work straight out of the box and (hopefully) shouldn't have any quality issues.

Rumours about the micro usb slot being mhl usb otg compliant.
    Might be able to stream out through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Jarren wrote: »

Do they ship to Ireland? Anyone ever bought off them before?

Dont ship to Ireland anymore I think :(

• Advertisement

Seems to be that way :( - http://www.ebuyer.com/help/delivery

http://www.deliverme.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

I saw a pic yesterday showing a HDMI port on it so your idea of using it as a google tv would be brilliant...forget where I saw it..think it was endagadget.

Thing I was really impressed with is the offline voice search in Jellybean..would be great for changing music while driving in offline mode(Lousy 3g signal dropping on me) or using the sat nav.

Jarren wrote: »

I have a relation in Northern Ireland, I'm guessing I could get it shipped to his address? I've never used ebuyer though, they any good?

I used them for the small stuff,never had issues with them.

Delivery options outside UK mainland

Delivery to Northern Ireland, Scottish Offshore, Scottish Highlands, Channel Islands, and Isle of Man

Delivery options Price & delivery times
    Within 2 - 3 working days
    Only £9.99
    7am - 7pm

http://www.ebuyer.com/help/delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's a reason why the Nexus is going to cost a little more: it's being manufactured in the USA. It's an experiment, and the NY Times report suggests that they aren't going to make that a selling point. I presume that means they'll be able to change their mind if the economics don't work out.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

The Nexus Q is made in the U.S, the tablet isn't.

bnt wrote: »
    There's a reason why the Nexus is going to cost a little more: it's being manufactured in the USA. It's an experiment, and the NY Times report suggests that they aren't going to make that a selling point. I presume that means they'll be able to change their mind if the economics don't work out.

reganovich wrote: »
    I saw a pic yesterday showing a HDMI port on it so your idea of using it as a google tv would be brilliant...forget where I saw it..think it was endagadget.

Afraid there is no HDMI port, from the androidcommunity review linked above:
    Down below is the single micro-USB port for charging, and hopefully has MHL support since we don’t have HDMI-out.

And no confirmation that the micro USB has MHL support yet either, will just have to wait and see but it's not a deal breaker for me, but would be a nice bonus.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

Afraid there is no HDMI port, from the androidcommunity review linked above:

And no confirmation that the micro USB has MHL support yet either, will just have to wait and see but it's not a deal breaker for me, but would be a nice bonus.

Your right, some of the pics I saw had it but just saw speculation that it was only for developer versions and not the actual final product ..pity :(

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28006016

2012-06-27_10-29-54-1024_gallery_post.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

So its £200 plus £10 shipping and €22 for forwarding. That's about €280.. Could a better tab not be gotten for this?

Jet Black wrote: »
    So its £200 plus £10 shipping and €22 for forwarding. That's about €280.. Could a better tab not be gotten for this?

That's the 16Gb version that ebuyer have, the 8Gb version should retail for £159 in the UK, CPW and PCWorld in the North should have it at that price (if the speculation is correct).

The 8Gb version will retail in the US for $199 which is around £127 at today's exchange rate.

So it should be possible to pick it up considerably cheaper than €280.

invest4deepvalue.com

Are people really that desperate for this tablet? I'm sure the availability in limited countries is just because they don't have the stock for the whole world, why not wait a month or two and pick it up much cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭MrGarak

Has anyone figured out for definite if the limited availability is down to either stock levels or licensing issues?

MrGarak wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out for definite if the limited availability is down to either stock levels or licensing issues?

As far as I know UK play store has no real differences to us with regard to movies etc and they're getting it.

NB Obviously they do have some apps like BBC iplayer, spotify etc but nothing that Google is profiting from

Nolimits wrote: »
    As far as I know UK play store has no real differences to us with regard to movies etc and they're getting it.

NB Obviously they do have some apps like BBC iplayer, spotify etc but nothing that Google is profiting from

UK play store has movies and books

UK play store has movies and books

I had no idea :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Are people really that desperate for this tablet? I'm sure the availability in limited countries is just because they don't have the stock for the whole world, why not wait a month or two and pick it up much cheaper?

Did Google ever sell the Nexus phones directly in Ireland?

I had no idea :(
    The bastards :(
    Did Google ever sell the Nexus phones directly in Ireland?

Not that I can remember. Think before the recent Galaxy Nexus sale then Nexus One was the only one they sold direct and that didnt go well. Cant remember the Nexus S being sold by them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Would the Google Nexus 7 tablet sold in the US be identical to that sold in the UK? If it was bought in the US and delivered to a US address, (and forwarded to me) would it function exactly the same as if it was bought in the UK? Would the software be the same? Any problems with voltage?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bomber6

ttenneb wrote: »
    Would the Google Nexus 7 tablet sold in the US be identical to that sold in the UK? If it was bought in the US and delivered to a US address, (and forwarded to me) would it function exactly the same as if it was bought in the UK? Would the software be the same? Any problems with voltage?
    It will be identical bar the plug on the charger. This is easily replaced though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Seriously hope Carphone Warehouse start stocking this in the next few weeks.. Really want one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

hmm... i really like that they are doing this but its missing a fwe things for me.
    first off storage is lowish... i can manage for sure with it, but would like to have an sd card tbh..can easy swap with the phone then when wanted to stick some films on it etc... what amount of usb ports are there can anyone tell me?

hdmi... will wait and see.. huge one for me. maybe the micro usb port will be hdmi compliant... we can hope..

size.. 7"... i just got the galaxy s3... its almost as big.. rumors of a 10" would only cut into their own sales of this so cant see a 10" coming along for at least 6 months... maybe in time for christmas i suppose where it would be in direct competition with apple.. and a cheaper alternative around then would surely hit their sales especially with the google brand name behind it.

either way for me its the hdmi sells it. be very handy to be able to stream stuff off it instead of a lappy and the supposed 8hrs usage battery on this sounds pretty sweet too

all in all a nice bit of kit, just missing some features i would like. tbh its just a basic tablet - which i guess is what theyre for. having around handy to mess on or just pick up and do some browsing, as was stated already. msot people who own tablets just have them lying arouhnd at home the entire time not bringing them anywhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Okay, So i got my hands on one today.

All i can say is very impressed.

I currently own a Samsung Galaxy Nexus so the OS experience isnt far removed from what im used to. (yet to get the jellybean update but due shortly im sure)

So the Nexus 7.

Well it was a tad heavier than i expected in hand, but it feels like a genuine solid tablet it feels sure and good in the hand, the plastics are all high end and the rear is slip resistant which is a must for me.

Sizewise i have to be honest it feels much better in hand than any of the 10 Inch tabs we have in the office and it just feels more agile. I think it will be perfect for intended use (browsing) and travelling, reading books movies etc.

The screen is ultra sharp and it can be viewed from any angle, havent checked it in the sun because frankly their aint any sun outside.

As i am used to the ICS usability wise its simple for me, i would not be able to give reference on a new user to the tablet but i can say that it is ultra fast. Ive used various android tabs over the past 18 months and this feels the most responsive. It didnt seem to hesitate regardless of what i did.

Storage isnt a problem for me, yes the SD card would have been a plus but all in all for the price and the performance of this i dont really care.

End result, I had to give it back to its owner and i want one. This is definitely on my purchase list.

hello to all, im looking to buy my first tablet, and have about 350 to go towards it. now should i wait and get the new google nexus 7 tablet or is there anything else i could get insted? i was thinking the sony tablet. any advice?

• Advertisement

ldr wrote: »
    hello to all, im looking to buy my first tablet, and have about 350 to go towards it. now should i wait and get the new google nexus 7 tablet or is there anything else i could get insted? i was thinking the sony tablet. any advice?

Sony is very fast to be fair, but if im totally honest the beautiful desgin aside it felt to light and didnt feel right in the hand.

Tablet wise recommendations depend on what you are looking to do ?

listermint wrote: »
    Sony is very fast to be fair, but if im totally honest the beautiful desgin aside it felt to light and didnt feel right in the hand.

Tablet wise recommendations depend on what you are looking to do ?

thanks for the reply

planning to use it to play movies web browsing and play some games

ldr wrote: »
    thanks for the reply

planning to use it to play movies web browsing and play some games

For me then the Nexus is perfect for that, if you are okay with a 7 Inch tab it is the best available for that level of price point and as a bonus carries the JellyBean OS. Its a win win.

listermint wrote: »
    For me then the Nexus is perfect for that, if you are okay with a 7 Inch tab it is the best available for that level of price point and as a bonus carries the JellyBean OS. Its a win win.

yes, i do agree with you, the hard part is waiting until gets released here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm in Canada for the next week, any chance of getting it there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement