Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

And lets hope the new stock is defective free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

chris85 wrote: »
    Any stores have stock at this point?

Currys in Galway (Terryland SC) had some at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 13 The Troll Hunter

Hi all, Is there anywhere I pick up one of these this wwek. I had to return mine to PC world as it has screen lifting problem and I was told that they wouldn't have any stock for 3 or 4 weeks

edit: Just on the PC world forum looks like they might have some stock this week

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hi all, Is there anywhere I pick up one of these this wwek. I had to return mine to PC world as it has screen lifting problem and I was told that they wouldn't have any stock for 3 or 4 weeks

edit: Just on the PC world forum looks like they might have some stock this week

I wonder have many people had this issue? Just did some Googling on the problem and wonder is it a manufacturing fault with the first batches? Seems fairly difficult to get my hands on one anyway so thinking it might be best to wait until later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I got my son one for his birthday last week (from Currys in Mahon) and there has been no screen issue so far. Will be keeping an eye on it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Anyone with stock today Dublin city centre? Had to sell mine last week to raise cash for something else but want to buy one again asap
    lindtee wrote: »
    I got my son one for his birthday last week (from Currys in Mahon) and there has been no screen issue so far. Will be keeping an eye on it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Great device. Having owned a Archos 101 before I thought anything less than 10 inches wouldn't be enough. Boy was I wrong. I actually prefer the 7 inch now. It feels so much better in your hands.

Feature and performance wise I'm also impressed. It's so fluid. I was using my dads ipad 3 there yesterday evening and there are some cool features how ever i would definitely say that the nexus 7 is the better of the two tablest on the market at the minute

Sheeps wrote: »
    Great device. Having owned a Archos 101 before I thought anything less than 10 inches wouldn't be enough. Boy was I wrong. I actually prefer the 7 inch now. It feels so much better in your hands.

Feature and performance wise I'm also impressed. It's so fluid. I was using my dads ipad 3 there yesterday evening and there are some cool features how ever i would definitely say that the nexus 7 is the better of the two tablest on the market at the minute

Lol, that's what she said.

But seriously, I'm thinking of getting a Nexus 7. Is yours suffering from the screen lifting problem ?

• Advertisement

Talked to hmv dundrum and their stock that was due in this week is delayed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I spoke to my local Argos Extra the other day and they said they won't be getting any in until around Sept 12th.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Hey Damo! I've had mine a few weeks now and have had none of the problems mentioned around the internet.

Anyone with stock in Ireland?
    dregin wrote: »
    Hey Damo! I've had mine a few weeks now and have had none of the problems mentioned around the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

I will be passing through Logan airport in Boston next week .Anyone know if I could pick up a nexus 7 at the airport .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Is Nexus 7 this unpopular that it cant even stay on the first page. I haven't got one yet but would love to get my hands on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Is there security filtering on the bluetooth? I tried to send a *.bin file to the tablet, but it gave me a message about not being able to accept such files and the process ended there.

I've had no manufacturing issues with mine, pity you have to Root to access the USB. Google could have kept things simple and just activated it. I wouldn't have had much of a need to Root otherwise. My only other need would be a hosts file, but I could push a hosts file over easy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

I don't think it's security but just an android thing, there's a lot you can't send by bluetooth, apk's being another. Wifi direct ftw :D

Try using an app Bluetooth File Transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I think I'm having problems with my battery now. Plugged it in last night and when I turned it on this morning it didn't seem to have charged. I took the cable out and plugged it in again and it came up as charging. It seemed to be charging at twice the normal speed. I thought great. That was until I came up later and it was off again not charging and there seemed to have been a temp spike of 128 degrees which is probably why it powered off last night. Any ideas?

Screenshot_2012-08-23-12-23-44.png

• Advertisement

Try using an app Bluetooth File Transfer.

I ended up getting Astro, some of the others were of equal quality, but there seemed to be messing about with ads and non working license keys with one of the other main (Bluetooth) competitors to Astro.

Happy enough, used Astro before, Samba is a plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Or upload to dropbox or similar then download to nexus 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 huiggi

“The credit card you have entered does not qualify for this promotion.”
    I tried Visa x3, MasterCard x1 and nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Ste- wrote: »
    Or upload to dropbox or similar then download to nexus 7.

Or google drive, it'll be installed already on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Is flash working correctly for anyone? The text seems to be gone haywire!

Probably been mentioned a dozen times already, but just this one tiny app makes the Nexus 7 'complete' and normal, for me.

urcplaypic.png

Ultimate Rotation Control (free to use for 7 days)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate

Ultimate Rotation License (€1.99)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate_license

The app is very passive, you set it on one of a few default behaviour choices and you're done, no more input needed.

My Home Screen, horizontally, couch slouching bliss..

horizontalnexus7.jpg

It isn't a launcher (as I undertsand it..) as such, the only influence it has over any tablet or phone is screen rotation behaviour, nothing else.

In any case, there's a week trial to figure out the app's usefulness.

App causes serious lag on my nexus
    Amalgam wrote: »
    Probably been mentioned a dozen times already, but just this one tiny app makes the Nexus 7 'complete' and normal, for me.

urcplaypic.png

Ultimate Rotation Control (free to use for 7 days)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate

Ultimate Rotation License (€1.99)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate_license

The app is very passive, you set it on one of a few default behaviour choices and you're done, no more input needed.

My Home Screen, horizontally, couch slouching bliss..

horizontalnexus7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Home home screen after some messing... i like it :D
    2012-08-24

• Advertisement

App causes serious lag on my nexus

Have you tried a reboot since installing it? That seems to cure it for some. No issues here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

BrookieD wrote: »
    2012-08-24

Whats that battery widget?

BrookieD wrote: »
    2012-08-24

Nice... but the OCD side of me would probably swap the middle folder for the thingy on the far right of the dock, giving two folders on either edge :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 pastylegs

Does anyone know of somewhere in Dublin currently stocking these? PC World are out of stock, as are HMV Dundrum (who said they won't be back in til' the end of Sept. due to a manufacturing error).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Davie89 wrote: »
    Whats that battery widget?

Looks like either circle batter widget or battery widget reborn, both very similar looking widget but battery widget reborn his more functionality
    http://www.batterywidgetreborn.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

pastylegs wrote: »
    Does anyone know of somewhere in Dublin currently stocking these? PC World are out of stock, as are HMV Dundrum (who said they won't be back in til' the end of Sept. due to a manufacturing error).

I bought one in PC world in Jervis today. He said 7 of them had just come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

From reading this thread I've now decided to join the hunt for a nexus 7 :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

OK, can anyone help me out here... I'm trying to get the free credit on my nexus tab but when I create the account with my gmail account, it says account already exists on this device and then on google place it connected me to the US store but I can't find anywhere I can get the free credit from... Anyone??

Edit: Ok, the credit was added when I tried to buy something from the store so now I've got the free credit! :D

OK, can anyone help me out here... I'm trying to get the free credit on my nexus tab but when I create the account with my gmail account, it says account already exists on this device and then on google place it connected me to the US store but I can't find anywhere I can get the free credit from... Anyone??

Edit: Ok, the credit was added when I tried to buy something from the store so now I've got the free credit! :D

How did you go about it, using Captain Morgan's suggested routine?

Is there still hope if you've purchased Play apps over here using your Nexus 7 etc.. I've had it a few days now.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Will the Nexus 7 connect to an iphone hotspot???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Just wondering because my mate tried to connect to my hoptspot on my iPhone 4 with a sony phone and he couldn't find it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

TheDoc wrote: »
    Going to buy that later. Looks decent.

Today was its first adventure outside the house, nothing of the below was actually required but was nice to see it was accurate.

Google Now informed me that my bus stop was 6 minutes walk from the house, thank you Google now :)

While on the bus, it calculated my route to work, bus into town, walking to another bus, then walking from getting of the final bus. Clocked the various journeys and the total journey time and was off by bout 4 minutes, because I got coffee :D

On the bus, usability was perfect. Was comfortable to use as my e-Reader with my kindle app, and small enough not to be ****ing massive and attracting attention. Through various glares of sun it wasnt affected in the slightest.

Anyone see any cases in walk in stores, on lunch today would like to grab soemething for piece of mine, mine operating from its box
    You mean your nexus didn't tell you where to buy one? :confused:

Just kidding... I'm just jealous :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Hey guys, does anyone know of a place that sell the 8GB version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Only the Play store in the US and UK

EBay possibly your best bet but I'd recommend the 16gb version... 8gb is play store exclusive and we can't order from Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

EBay possibly your best bet but I'd recommend the 16gb version... 8gb is play store exclusive and we can't order from Ireland

Damn. Don't see much point of getting the 16GB model, paying €50 euro extra for 8GB extra - no thanks.

Damn. Don't see much point of getting the 16GB model, paying €50 euro extra for 8GB extra - no thanks.

Yeah but the 8gb only has like 5 or 6 availeable and aswell you'd almost pay that trying to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Finally got my hands on mine today after it was brought over from America.
    Playing around with it now and I have to say I absolutely love it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement