Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Folks,

Anyone know who's stocking this now e.g. HMV, Argos?

Very keen on picking up the 16gb model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

depends where you are...dublin do have quite a few in stock fairly often...other stores around the country sell out the day they get stock in it seems

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Does anyone know why this is so ridiculously expensive on Amazon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Does anyone know why this is so ridiculously expensive on Amazon?

Because it's been sold by a third party and I don't mean Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Some random seller trying to make money, note its only the 8gb version!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Amalgam wrote: »
    How did you go about it, using Captain Morgan's suggested routine?

Is there still hope if you've purchased Play apps over here using your Nexus 7 etc.. I've had it a few days now.

OK, just to say, Captain Morgan's post worked perfectly for me. I'm not going to focus on the method too much, it is simple, but just some sharpening of focus at one point which might have you a tad worried..

I am happily set up and rooted, my post below reflects the method used.

After setting up your alternate SwitchMe profile and logging in without your Google email. Clicking on the Play Market *will not* trigger an offer of free Play credit after logging in with your email, a purchase with an existing card on your account *will not* trigger an offer of free Play Credit.

What does trigger the $25 offer is, just before commiting to a purchase, any purchase, selecting to add a different card from your existing card. (use the extra US centric details in Captain Morgan's post)

Then you are offered the credit.

In my case, a 3V card with just enough for Google to do a credit check on it. (€1)

You receive an email: Your $25.00 Google Play credit is ready to use

Then, once you go to make a purchase, you can select the 'Google Play balance' from the 'Pay with:' drop down selection menu. It is listed alongside your account registered card(s).

Have fun.

I changed my Google password after the above carry on, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ULMarc

How did you go about it, using Captain Morgan's suggested routine?

Is there still hope if you've purchased Play apps over here using your Nexus 7 etc.. I've had it a few days now.

OK, just to say, Captain Morgan's post worked perfectly for me. I'm not going to focus on the method too much, it is simple, but just some sharpening of focus at one point which might have you a tad worried..

I am happily set up and rooted, my post below reflects the method used.

After setting up your alternate SwitchMe profile and logging in without your Google email. Clicking on the Play Market *will not* trigger an offer of free Play credit after logging in with your email, a purchase with an existing card on your account *will not* trigger an offer of free Play Credit.

What does trigger the $25 offer is, just before commiting to a purchase, any purchase, selecting to add a different card from your existing card. (use the extra US centric details in Captain Morgan's post)

Then you are offered the credit.

In my case, a 3V card with just enough for Google to do a credit check on it. (€1)

You receive an email: Your $25.00 Google Play credit is ready to use

Then, once you go to make a purchase, you can select the 'Google Play balance' from the 'Pay with:' drop down selection menu. It is listed alongside your account registered card(s).

Have fun.

I changed my Google password after the above carry on, just to be sure.

How did you sort your VPN out? I don't have a VPN but I have a solution theoretically worked out in my head to try when I'm home

Cactus VPN. Free 24 hours. Sign up. (with any details\junk email) Get your login details.

Then set up the VPN using their US proxy: US-Wilmington: 108.59.9.18

Just to say, games from EA and I'm sure others, have a 'country lock', if you pay and download, it is impossible to download the extra data or update. Think about that before purchasing an app using the VPN.

Log out of your VPN, then make purchases, with the tablet, 'Ireland aware', as in, location services place you here and prices are in Euro, on the Play site. Your Play credit will still be in your account.

Cactus VPN. Free 24 hours. Sign up. (with any details\junk email) Get your login details.

Then set up the VPN using their US proxy: US-Wilmington: 108.59.9.18

Just to say, games from EA and I'm sure others, have a 'country lock', if you pay and download, it is impossible to download the extra data or update. Think about that before purchasing an app using the VPN.

Log out of your VPN, then make purchases, with the tablet, 'Ireland aware', as in, location services place you here and prices are in Euro, on the Play site. Your Play credit will still be in your account.

Ah good. I was going to try either side loading a VPN apk or enabling a VPN on my phone and using a hotspot but this sounds much more straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Would it be dangerous to buy the nexus after the chip incident? Ie wait for the next batch to hit Ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I rang hmv and was told that there's a huge delay in the tablets coming over here because problems at the factories with the chips

poppy cock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Headshot wrote: »
    I rang hmv and was told that there's a huge delay in the tablets coming over here because problems at the factories with the chips

poppy cock?
    Is from what I know.
    The Tegra 3 is in a few devices and I havent heard about supply issues with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭irishgeo

there is a screen issue but thats it all i have heard about.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cas2kx

HMV rang me the other day and told me about the chip issue. They told me they should be another batch coming in early September. Have to say i'm becoming a HMV fan boy 1 euro accident coverage and great customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Davexirl wrote: »
    Will the Nexus 7 connect to an iphone hotspot???

I tried it, it won't work.
    Iphone wont pair with the nexus via bluetooth to share the internet because its not an apple product.

Although it could also just be my network not allowing tethering...

Iphone wont pair with the nexus via bluetooth to share the internet because its not an apple product.

Hotspots don't connect over Bluetooth. They connect over Wifi.

What are you trying to do exactly? Share the iPhones mobile network with the Nexus 7? If so then here are the instructions (from memory):
    - Go into settings and select mobile hotspot.
    - Turn it on
    - Select set up mobile hot spot and enter the name you want to call the network and the password you want to use to protect it from others.
    - The notification bar of your iPhone will turn blue and the Hotspot's name will appear just below this.
    - Connect to the newly created network under the wifi settings on your Nexus.

These aren't the best instructions but hopefully they'll shine light on what your looking to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Got text message from DPD this morning saying my new Nexus 7 will be delivered in the next couple hours.

Hopefully this one will be without issues. I had originally had one from the pre-order phase but had issues with backlight and build so organised it with the webstore to return it and wait for a replacement around 3 weeks ago. They recently got them in stock and it was sent out straight away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Anyone move from an iPad to the Nexus 7?

Are you happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭ongarite

Davexirl wrote: »
    Anyone move from an iPad to the Nexus 7?

Are you happy?
    Went from iPad 1 to Nexus 7. More than happy with the switch but I am using an Android phone (Galaxy Nexus) already so I was familiar with how the UI works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

ULMarc wrote: »
    Hotspots don't connect over Bluetooth. They connect over Wifi.

You can have a "personal hotspot", as apple calls it, over Wi-fi, USB or bluetooth. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3574

Although connecting over wifi would probably be the simpler option bluetooth can save you some battery.

Have you tried tethering with any other device to know that it works for you? A few people have the same issue (N7 connecting to iphone) although people with jailbroken devices are having some success. If you don't have tethering included on your phone plan chances are the carrier won't allow it until you ask them OR if your on bill-pay they'll just add a tethering charge on to your bill.

is this available in any shop folks?

seems it sold out every where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭jonski

Headshot wrote: »
    is this available in any shop folks?

seems it sold out every where

The only place that seem to be getting in stock is PC World/Currys and even they are only getting in limited stock . There is a thread here in the " Talk To " forum where the MD keeps updating on whats coming in and when .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

ongarite wrote: »
    Went from iPad 1 to Nexus 7. More than happy with the switch but I am using an Android phone (Galaxy Nexus) already so I was familiar with how the UI works.

Pretty much what I'm planning on doing. Got a 32gb iPad that is just too big and heavy to carry around with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Not sure whether mentioned above but there is a new app, Nexus Media Importer, which will allow you to stream media from USB without needing to root the device.

Simply install the app from the maketplace , connect a USB OTG cable and you can connect USB key to watch any movies on the external drive. I know stick mount does similar but this new app is well worth the price, less than 2 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I wonder will Argos actually have some in stock tomorrow as per their website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭irishgeo

draffodx wrote: »

i doubt it thats changed more times than weather lately.

Note: The nexus 7 is Excluded from our 30 day money back guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

None in any store in the country today: http://www.checkargos.com/index.php?productId=508%2F8917

and it also unavailable to reserve for store pickup in Argos in Northern Ireland.

Poor form from Argos, at least it looks like Currys/Pc World will be getting solid stocks from this week on,

• Advertisement

It's available online from Currys for €249.99 + delivery.

http://www.currys.ie/Product/ASUS-Google-Nexus-7-Tablet-PC-16-GB/314597/7.18

I bought mine from them online, returned it due to screen faults (which they were very helpful about) and was sent out a new one once it was back in stock so I do recommend them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I picked mine up two weeks ago in Heathrow, the 16GB unit, cost 250 euro (197£). In the Dixons in terminal 1.

Delighted with it, great battery ife, I've had numerous android units, Archos, Sony, HP, some of those Hong Kong units and there has been no comparison so far.

I've been using a Gallaxy S3 and a HTC One X too and this does kind of take away from the Nexus, i.e it would be easier to see the benefit of the processor if your phone was slower, it can be a little bit like a bigger version of your phone, obviously it is almost just that, but its worth a mention anyway, don't get too excited about it if you already have a nice phone.

It's available online from Currys for €249.99 + delivery.

http://www.currys.ie/Product/ASUS-Google-Nexus-7-Tablet-PC-16-GB/314597/7.18

I bought mine from them online, returned it due to screen faults (which they were very helpful about) and was sent out a new one once it was back in stock so I do recommend them ;)

Have you had any issues second time around? I'm trying to hold off to get the one from the newer batches which Asus have said dont suffer from the screen issue but I may cave soon"

I'm underclocked (50/1000) and it lasts through a serious amount of web browsing.

Didn't realise how heavy the Nexus was, until I started handling my Ainol Aurora, after a few weeks idle.

Have you had any issues second time around? I'm trying to hold off to get the one from the newer batches which Asus have said dont suffer from the screen issue but I may cave soon"

Won't get to play with it till tomorrow night. I'll update once i do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I only got mine on Sunday so the battery wouldn't be fully up to capacity but I'm getting similar stats to you.

One thing I don't like about the Nexus 7 is, seemingly, at the moment, the rather glitchy support for .mkv (1080p) files with DTS audio.

Support for any format with DTS audio is lacking, or unstable. Something my old Chinese slab had no problem with.

Video plays fine, without audio (MX), or the audio plays, with dubious video playback (VLC).

I see VLC is floating about on the Play Market (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc.betav7neon), which I had a go with, I had DTS audio, but really awful video artifacting. The version listed mentions a July build, but it is the first time I've seen it listed openly on the Play Market. I think it was the first thing that I searched for when I purchased a tablet.

Oh well, I'm sure things will push along as the Nexus tablet grabs market share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

Try Dice player from the market with ffmpeg plugin... see here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1769025
    One thing I don't like about the Nexus 7 is, seemingly, at the moment, the rather glitchy support for .mkv (1080p) files with DTS audio.

Support for any format with DTS audio is lacking, or unstable. Something my old Chinese slab had no problem with.

Video plays fine, without audio (MX), or the audio plays, with dubious video playback (VLC).

I see VLC is floating about on the Play Market (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc.betav7neon), which I had a go with, I had DTS audio, but really awful video artifacting. The version listed mentions a July build, but it is the first time I've seen it listed openly on the Play Market. I think it was the first thing that I searched for when I purchased a tablet.

Oh well, I'm sure things will push along as the Nexus tablet grabs market share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Myself and a mate just picked up 2 of the 5 that HMV in the Crescent, Limerick got today... looking forward to getting home to try it out. Can't see the stick there lasting through tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Won't get to play with it till tomorrow night. I'll update once i do.

From what I've used of it so far its fixed in the areas I was having problems with before so hopefully the new stock is "fixed".

Nice to be able to see the screen at lowest brightness and no obvious cases of backlight bleeding like before.

Any ideas on best custom ROM at present? Used to like the Modaco one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Just bought one in hmv Grafton Street. They had 1 left behind the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Hmv left message on my phone to say my pre order is in. I don't need it so if anyone stuck on me. It's in Grafton street
    racer1 wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

This might sicken some people but there's a 3G version to be released in the next 6 weeks.

I was going to buy the Wi-Fi version but might hold off for the 3G version now...

http://www.stuff.tv/news/computers-and-consoles/rumour-mill/nexus-7-3g-on-the-way

boobar wrote: »
    This might sicken some people but there's a 3G version to be released in the next 6 weeks.

I was going to buy the Wi-Fi version but might hold off for the 3G version now...

http://www.stuff.tv/news/computers-and-consoles/rumour-mill/nexus-7-3g-on-the-way

Kind of saw this coming especially if they wanted to compete with new iPad. Can also see the min price increasing by around 100e.

If I had a choice now I would still choose the wifi version as I personally can't see the need for the mobile data. I hardly ever bring my N7 outside the house (unless I'm travelling) so I'm usually always near wifi and if I suddenly need to check something online I just use my phone.

Wouldn't be to bothered. I tether to my phone if I want 3g
    boobar wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

The wifi version is definately on my wishlist when I have some spare cash. Not sure if the 3G version would be. Problem is if they bump up the price by €100+ and tie the buyer into a contract with one of the mobile companies for 2 years does that sort of push the Nexus 7 out of the budget tablet range. Will it end up in a zone where it is too expensive for the original target market but too small for the next market segment. But then again they might get it out for a relatively small bump in price (say max €50) and the mobile companies may offer it as a pay as you go option then it's probably well worth looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

3G just doesn't mean anything to me. I've got 5gb of data allowence on my Meteor iPhone that is more than ample for tethering.

I might hang around until that's launched mind you, and try to pick up a cheap second hand WiFi version.

Advertisement