Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭liamhana

Is anyone else having trouble streaming ? I was able to watch something last week (a tv series) from an internet stream,(using firefox) but this week its stopped...only think I can think of is I updated firefox, and perhaps flash....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

liamhana wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble streaming ? I was able to watch something last week (a tv series) from an internet stream,(using firefox) but this week its stopped...only think I can think of is I updated firefox, and perhaps flash....

I doubt flash would have updated as don't think it avialable any more so I would presume its your version of firefox... people were have issues with different version of firefox before.

You can find all version of the browser here (in handy apk format)
    http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/

Just choose version, android then language to download the apk.

Alternatively you could test with a different browser e.g. I know that it's worked with Boat Browser

Edit:

According to Play Store:
    Flash Last Updated: August 23, 2012
    Firefox beta Last Updated: August 30, 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Is any one else getting the fuzzy rte player or does that new apk sort it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Toysrus

In stock in Tesco Clearwater for €279.
    Noodleynoo over on the Currys thread mentioned that he got his local Tesco to price match the Currys price but they weren't going for it in Finglas.
    Couldn't bring myself to pay €30 over the going rate so the search continues...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Q&A

boobar wrote: »
    This might sicken some people but there's a 3G version to be released in the next 6 weeks.

I was going to buy the Wi-Fi version but might hold off for the 3G version now...

http://www.stuff.tv/news/computers-and-consoles/rumour-mill/nexus-7-3g-on-the-way

Could be tempted by a 3g version (assuming thats 3g+wifi) .. I like the size of the nexus 7 it would be a handy size for traveling. The superior battery life of tablets also means I wont have to worry. I like the idea of bunging the sim card into the N7 and not having to look for a plug every night.

.... at this rate how far away is the micro sd 3g/wifi version :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Its fine for what it is, no way id be paying an extra 100 bucks (or what ever the price would increase by) to have 3g, wouldn't be good value any longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

iI had the htc flyer with 3g and wifi and I never used the 3g all i done was tether and it worked fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Patsy fyre wrote: »

i have that.

i also have a problem where i am getting black line flashing across the screen a few times and the screen flicks for a second? anyone else have that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

It's fussy when I browse to the rte player in firefox but fine once starts playing video
    irishgeo wrote: »
    Patsy fyre wrote: »

i have that.

i also have a problem where i am getting black line flashing across the screen a few times and the screen flicks for a second? anyone else have that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭robbe

Bit hit and miss I find - some streams work and some don't. I have tried Chrome, Dolphin, Firefox with Flash sideloaded and of the lot Chrome works best but it much more fiddly than say an iPod (on the mobile video site I was accessing) which just launched Quicktime and went smoothly. Pity as I'd have thought this was the part that the Nexus 7 would be better at....If I find a solution anywhere I'll post it here,

Jack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Toysrus

Toysrus wrote: »
    In stock in Tesco Clearwater for €279.
    Noodleynoo over on the Currys thread mentioned that he got his local Tesco to price match the Currys price but they weren't going for it in Finglas.
    Couldn't bring myself to pay €30 over the going rate so the search continues...

In case any of you are looking for one and are in North Dublin, picked one up for €239, from HMV Pavillin in Santry. €40 less than Tesco!
    The girl who sold it to me said there was 1 more in stock. This was at 13:30 so it might be an idea to phone first (01-8902433)
    Great, friendly service and a great price. Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Hi, wonder if anyone can help me out with this, just opened new Nexus 7, one of the main things i use laptop/mobile phone for is watching NFL games through gamepass (the American football streaming service). Also use Flash sport streams to watch football online..
    This uses Flash. When i log in and try to watch a game i am redirected to an Adobe Flash page telling me to upgrade to version 10.2, but (being a new android device i guess) there is a message along the top saying this is incompatible with the newer Androids..

I have installed Firefox Beta on the Nexus 7, also Boat Browser, but each time i go into the NFL website and try to watch a game (with either of those browsers) i get the same message- download Adobe Flash Player 10.2 (which can't seem to be done!). I'm not overly keen on rooting the phone (a bit clueless) but others seem to be saying on here they have streamed games that use Flash without rooting.

Any ideas greatly appreciated! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I have installed Firefox Beta on the Nexus 7, also Boat Browser, but each time i go into the NFL website and try to watch a game (with either of those browsers) i get the same message- download Adobe Flash Player 10.2 (which can't seem to be done!). I'm not overly keen on rooting the phone (a bit clueless) but others seem to be saying on here they have streamed games that use Flash without rooting.

Any ideas greatly appreciated! Thanks

Have you side loaded Flash? Vid may help if not.

god's toy wrote: »
    Have you side loaded Flash? Vid may help if not.

Thanks i'll try that this evening if i can get the Nexus 7 back off my wife!

Quick question if i may god's toy,

Watching the video, i tick allow unknown sources in Settings (thats fine so far..) but then on downloads the guy has already downloaded it from somewhere else, not the Adobe official site. Do i just google "install_flash_player.apk" and use one of the filesharing sites that come up in the search? Firstload and 4shared (file sharing sites) seem to be the only options i'm getting to get Adobe Flash Player from to download, do you reckon i should take it from one of those (just asking as i haven't used filesharing sites before)
    Thanks again, really appreciate it.

EDIT: thanks, i have it working now :)

Hey Phoenix Park, I have that file on my machine somewhere... I'll upload it to my dropbox account and provide ya link in a couple minutes.

It's same one I've used on my Nexus before.

I'll upload it to my dropbox account and provide ya link in a couple minutes.

Sorry mate but my net is acting up though I found you an alternative link from xda forums (trusted source).
    XDA wrote:
    Adobe has stopped allowing downloads for Flash Player on all devices running Jelly Bean, including the Nexus 7. There have also been some APK installation issues for people who upgraded to 4.1.1. This APK has been tested and works great on the Nexus 7 so far with 4.1.1. Thanks to RMXO for the file.

APK File: HERE

Here's also an old version of Dolphin Browser that supports it.
    APK Download: Link

Thanks a mil, i have it working now and looks great :)

Anyone have trouble buying apps on the Nexus 7 using Google Wallet?

If i go to the Play Store (trying to upgrade Boat Browser to block ad's / and might later upgrade a free app to allow screen rotation) all looks good until clicking on Checkout, but it says Card must be updated on a seperate computer (which it is-it works to pay other stuff and i've checked billing address/card number etc) it still won't accept it.

Just a general problem using Google Wallet on Android in Ireland or is there some way around this? (is there any other method of payment in the Play Store other than Google Wallet- i can't seem to find anything else like Paypal as an option :( )
    Thanks to anyone who knows.

EDIT: after two hours of trying to figure things out i found out my bank put a block on my credit card as they thought a car rental for my holidays paid for two days ago was suspicious. So it wasn't an android/google problem the whole time. Sigh, at least that explains things

Anyone have trouble buying apps on the Nexus 7 using Google Wallet?

If i go to the Play Store (trying to upgrade Boat Browser to block ad's / and might later upgrade a free app to allow screen rotation) all looks good until clicking on Checkout, but it says Card must be updated on a seperate computer (which it is-it works to pay other stuff and i've checked billing address/card number etc) it still won't accept it.

Just a general problem using Google Wallet on Android in Ireland or is there some way around this? (is there any other method of payment in the Play Store other than Google Wallet- i can't seem to find anything else like Paypal as an option :( )
    Thanks to anyone who knows.

Afaik you can only use your credit card to purchase something from the Play Store. (maybe a 3v card?)

Did you not do trick to get the $25 free credit? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80002015&postcount=2

You should also check out thread for more tips etc ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

What are the symptoms of the screen separation issue?

creaking noise on the left side of the screen and you should see the screen lifted slighty away from the cover. plenty of videos on youtube showing the problem.

creaking noise on the left side of the screen and you should see the screen lifted slighty away from the cover. plenty of videos on youtube showing the problem.

K HMV won't have anymore in for a few days. Is it possible to live with the screen thing or will it just worse? Or will I just ask for a refund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I'm on my second n7 and it also has minor separation of the screen. Think I'll hang on to this one though as it's minor and hasn't got any worse. Year warranty on it anyway and there's a few fixes online.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

Found one today in Dundrum HMV, after looking every where delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Has anyone bought one off ebay? I'd be wary enough seeing as there seams to be some screen seperation issues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Q&A

pedatron wrote: »
    Has anyone bought one off ebay? I'd be wary enough seeing as there seams to be some screen seperation issues!

Like every other good on ebay you take your chances... but having a quick look on ebay those that are available seem to be coming from the US and when you compare the prices to HMV or indeed PCWorld/Currys there's no real savings to be made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Telchak

Got one in HMV Dundrum today, they say they have a small amount of stock. Unlocked and rooted as soon as I got it home.

Loving the form factor so far, much prefer it to the Tablet S that I used to have. Makes my GSII feel absolutely tiny XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just picked one up in Wallmart of all places. $266 inc taxs.

just have to play now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Anybody spot some stock in any of the stores in Dublin city centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I'd like to go back on recommending the Ultimate Rotation Control app below. If you want rotation control with no lag issues, I'd recommend the Apex Launcher instead.

I've removed all the fancy effects, transitions, shadows etc.. and I have just two screens now, set up just as I need. The tablet is more responsive I find, battery life seems to be a tad longer too.

Main app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anddoes.launcher

License file for the above (€2.99): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anddoes.launcher.pro

Widgets on the Dock, renaming and icon replacement at will, 8x8 Homescreen. Renaming of URL shortcuts. The list goes on and on..

---
    Amalgam wrote: »
    Probably been mentioned a dozen times already, but just this one tiny app makes the Nexus 7 'complete' and normal, for me.

urcplaypic.png

Ultimate Rotation Control (free to use for 7 days)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate

Ultimate Rotation License (€1.99)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate_license

The app is very passive, you set it on one of a few default behaviour choices and you're done, no more input needed.

My Home Screen, horizontally, couch slouching bliss..

horizontalnexus7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 QuincyQuinn

i have that.

I'm getting a black line flashing across this screen every now and then can't find a good answer anywhere some say hardware (tegra 3) issue some say software issue that an update will fix. Its very off putting...:(

I'm getting a black line flashing across this screen every now and then can't find a good answer anywhere some say hardware (tegra 3) issue some say software issue that an update will fix. Its very off putting...:(

its a weird one , not that annoying but ill live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

I'm thinking of getting a nexus 7. Saw one in argos today for 250 quid. Is that the price everywhere? I'm just trying to figure out if I actually need it, I have the galaxy s3 which I use all the time. Anyone want to help me decide? What is the benefit of having a tablet like this. Also haven't had time to read this thread but notice ye talking about screen separation. Is this a major problem and is it being rectified in new stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yes Asus say newer batches dont have the screen issue. No one ever truly needs a tablet but when you get one you'll wonder why it took you so long to buy one.

Argos have 2 in stock, Cavan and Tralee :(

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

draffodx wrote: »
    Yes Asus say newer batches dont have the screen issue. No one ever truly needs a tablet but when you get one you'll wonder why it took you so long to buy one.

Argos have 2 in stock, Cavan and Tralee :(

I'm so annoyed now that I didn't just reserve yesterday in argos (limerick) it was well gone by last night. Ah well il just have to look around for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

So, went into HMV to buy the Of Monsters & Men and the XX albums and it cost me 266 euro :eek:...

All because of you fcukers......Asked when next they would have some Nexus 7in and lo and behold, just had got some...hence additional costs of albums !!!

cant wait to open it now :D

So, went into HMV to buy the Of Monsters & Men and the XX albums and it cost me 266 euro :eek:...

All because of you fcukers......Asked when next they would have some Nexus 7in and lo and behold, just had got some...hence additional costs of albums !!!

cant wait to open it now :D

HMV Where!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

sorry too excited...
    Grafton St...

run run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

HMV Henry St. had a sign up at lunch saying they had some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a nexus 7. Saw one in argos today for 250 quid.

Only Argos Monaghan and Wexford have them, just one in each shop right now
    http://www.checkargos.com/index.php?productId=508%2F8917

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

I m searching to buy from amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Got mine in Argos on Childers Road in Limerick! It was the last one they had! Very very happy so far but haven't thing done to it. Will get rooting later on this evening after work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

In stock in hmv limerick in the crescent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

ugh... tempted now since theyre the cheapest for it and all...
    would love to give it a whizz first before committing... emotion..

Arklow, Carlow, Ilac Dublin and Monaghen Argos have some:

http://www.checkargos.com/index.php?productId=508%2F8917

• Lads just took delivery of my Nexus from Littlewoods and I notice the screen at the left side is a tiny bit raised. It's ever so slight however practically invisible...what do I do?

Lads just took delivery of my Nexus from Littlewoods and I notice the screen at the left side is a tiny bit raised. It's ever so slight however practically invisible...what do I do?

Return it for a replacement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement