Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Works with the Nexus 7.

pppwidgets.png

http://draisberghof.de/android/pppwidget.html
    This widget allows the use of 3G modems and phones attached to USB host ports. These ports are mainly found on Android tablets.
    Features:

PPPD and Usb_ModeSwitch binaries (natively linked to Bionic) are included
    Autodetection of usable modem ports
    Minimal configuration input required (in most cases just username, password and APN)
    Provides full network awareness (all Android apps should see the connection)
    It's truly free. No ads.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

kenyard wrote: »
    ugh... tempted now since theyre the cheapest for it and all...
    would love to give it a whizz first before committing... emotion..

PC World in Jervis had a display model you could try out last time I was in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Some Argos Stores have them back in stock.

Ashbourne has 1.
    Blanchardstown West End has 5.
    St Stephens Green has 3.

Good hunting :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I will be in the US at the end of the month, I was planning to buy a 16Gb version, it will work out about €60 cheaper but I am now wondering about the charger.
    Could someone let me know what the charger looks like please? is it something I could swap with an Irish charger? does anyone forsee any problems with using (for example) a Irish phone charger on this device bought in US?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Its actually a usb plug so I'd say any plug that accept USB connections would be able to charge it. I'm fairly sure I used a different plug when i forgot my charger though I may just have charged it off my PC.

If you watch a unboxing video on youtube you can see a charger. You need to slide the socket connection onto the plug. I think the UK have something similar but US is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Sconsey wrote: »
    I will be in the US at the end of the month, I was planning to buy a 16Gb version, it will work out about €60 cheaper but I am now wondering about the charger.
    Could someone let me know what the charger looks like please? is it something I could swap with an Irish charger? does anyone forsee any problems with using (for example) a Irish phone charger on this device bought in US?

Thanks
    I bought one in Boston, the charger is an american two pin ,so you will need an adaptor .The charger has 2 amps output ,so anything else will take hours to charge it . Hardly Normal have the adaptors for 3 quid .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Sconsey wrote: »

Thanks

I just got in in the US for $266 (206 euro) a few days back. Just hope Google now works as good in Ireland as it does here.
    The US charger will work in Ireland but you need an adapter.
    You could also use any micro USB charger but it may take longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Bought this just before I went on holiday. Have been using it on holiday and loving it. Just been using it for browsing the net mainly. Will set it up properly when I get back. Have seen stuff from Google now pop up. Have you to set up Google now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Some in stock in Argos, Athlone. What's the chances of these having a dodgy screen?

racer1 wrote: »
    Have seen stuff from Google now pop up. Have you to set up Google now?

Nope, afaik it learns from your searches. You can tell it where home is, work is etc but the rest it learns
    Some in stock in Argos, Athlone. What's the chances of these having a dodgy screen?

Probably the second batch by now but on most the dodgy screen is not even noticeable. Also most places have good return policy so that would not be an issue. I'm actually on my second one which I got back recently and I have no issues with this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I've gone from not being to get one of these to having 2 of them in the last few hours. 8gb model if anyone want to take one off my hands. Box and receipt. Still in plastic wrap.

groom wrote: »
    I've gone from not being to get one of these to having 2 of them in the last few hours. 8gb model if anyone want to take one off my hands. Box and receipt. Still in plastic wrap.

I'd say post it up on Adverts. It should be easy to sell though as the 8GB Model is in very short supply in this country.

How did you get one? Someone else order for you through Play Store?

I'd say post it up on Adverts. It should be easy to sell though as the 8GB Model is in very short supply in this country.

How did you get one? Someone else order for you through Play Store?

I've put it on Adverts.
    yeah hedged my bets to make sure I got one and ended up with 2 of them.

I see there is a best before date on the $25 credit. is that to get it onto your account or to use it?

I see there is a best before date on the $25 credit. is that to get it onto your account or to use it?

Just the promotional offer it seems... you have another year to spend that $25 :D

Also
    If you already snapped up the promotional credit, you have nothing to worry about - at least for now. Just know that Google will get rid of any remaining part of that $25 one year from the date of the end of the promotion, on September 30th, 2013.

Full link here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Can anyone recommend some cool things to do with the nexus 7? I'm loving it so far and am using it for browsing, reading, movies, skype, facebook etc. It's also rooted and all that.

I wanna do cool stuff with it! :D

You can impersonate a celebrity by displaying their image on it and then strapping it across your own face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

You can impersonate a celebrity by displaying their image on it and then strapping it across your own face

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Brilliant!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

How are people finding this for general web browsing? Is the screen big enough for comfortable viewing?

Thinking about getting one over the weekend, but I've been hearing recently that for people who will be using it mainly browsing it can be a tad on the small side...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

How are people finding this for general web browsing? Is the screen big enough for comfortable viewing?

Thinking about getting one over the weekend, but I've been hearing recently that for people who will be using it mainly browsing it can be a tad on the small side...

Compared to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

draffodx wrote: »

Compared to?

Larger tablets, ie iPad, Galaxy Tab 10.1/ Note 10.1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Larger tablets, ie iPad, Galaxy Tab 10.1/ Note 10.1.

Well... its smaller...

:pac:

Honestly, I really like it. The screen is fine for me but if you're unsure, head into a store that has it on display and check it out yourself.

Loving the n7.

How do I get flash installed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Download the APK from below and install it [make sure you tick the Unknown Sources box under Settings-Development].

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1763805

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Went from a 1st gen iPad to a Nexus and I find it actually better for browsing because I can hold it in one hand and use the other navigate. In every way it's a better tablet than my old iPad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Loving the n7.

lol sorry, had to be done: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nexus+7+install+flash

Loving the n7.

Don't forget to check out the other N7 thread [First Post] ;)

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

I can't compare it to an iPad for instance but for general use I find it very easy to use. Chrome + N7 = portable browsing heaven.

Also noticed for the first time how easy it is to type on it. I was using the old 1 finger "touch" typing method like you would on larger tablets but using my N7 on the train yesterday, i was able to hold it and use both thumbs to fire out emails very quickly (good predictive text on device helps with any errors).

Finding I'm picking it up much more than my GS3. Just love this thing.
    GS3 is just right for on the move stuff but N7 for everything besides that.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

Thinking about getting this to replace my laptop at home. Is it good enough to replace a laptop or is it more a device to use when you are commuting/travelling?

I'm just a bit concerned the screen is a bit too small for home use.

• Advertisement

Tried setting up my hotmail on the default email app and after inputting my details it just says "waiting for sync" - email will appear shortly.

But nothing happens ....just seems stuck.

I'm unlocked and freshly rooted on 4.1.1

Any idea what could be the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Anyone recommend a decent stand? Loving the n7 atm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Has anyone bought a good smart cover for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

tok9 wrote: »

I bought THIS the other day and am waiting for it to be delivered.
    Unfortunately, they won't deliver to RoI but I'm getting it sent to my company's office in Belfast and someone is bringing it down for me next week. :o

Heroditas wrote: »

I bought THIS the other day and am waiting for it to be delivered.
    Unfortunately, they won't deliver to RoI but I'm getting it sent to my company's office in Belfast and someone is bringing it down for me next week. :o

That's why we love Parcel Motel! Get your very own UK delivery address
    https://www.parcelmotel.com

Edit, provided your near one of the pickup points...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Tried setting up my hotmail on the default email app and after inputting my details it just says "waiting for sync" - email will appear shortly.

But nothing happens ....just seems stuck.

I'm unlocked and freshly rooted on 4.1.1

Any idea what could be the problem?

Dunno what the problem is but I use K9 for my hotmail and it works great tbh.
    Not a solution but it might be better for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

I bought a good smart cover on eBay for €10 delivered. Here's an XDA review.

Jilm wrote: »
    I bought a good smart cover on eBay for €10 delivered. Here's an XDA review.

I can vouch for this one too. Very neat and tidy

Edit: Slightly cheaper from this link (Approximately EUR 8.67). I am pretty sure they are the same case.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/221111386347?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_14272wt_1397

• Advertisement

Got this one and I'm very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

I can vouch for this one too. Very neat and tidy

Edit: Slightly cheaper from this link (Approximately EUR 8.67). I am pretty sure they are the same case.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/221111386347?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_14272wt_1397

Yeah, same case. I'm tempted to order another...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I got that one too and have had no problems with it.

Did Amazon deliver or did you have to go through parcelmotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

There is 77 pages on this thread so please forgive me if these were answered earlier. I am on the verge of buying a nexus but a guy in work today got an ainol novo 7 fire which looks pretty good. It has a number of features which I like hdmi out, usb otg, rear cam. I know the processor is not as quick as the nexus cpu..

is there an easy way to get hdmi out from nexus to large screen? Also usb otg work?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭corkie

morana wrote: »
    There is 77 pages on this thread so please forgive me if these were answered earlier. I am on the verge of buying a nexus but a guy in work today got an ainol novo 7 fire which looks pretty good. It has a number of features which I like hdmi out, usb otg, rear cam. I know the processor is not as quick as the nexus cpu..

is there an easy way to get hdmi out from nexus to large screen? Also usb otg work?

Thanks

No hdmi out on the nexus 7 but you can get a compatible OTG cable for it. Not to sure if it will work without been rooted!

On the cases topic i got this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008GSMRAY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

• Advertisement

Did Amazon deliver or did you have to go through parcelmotel?

Amazon delivered it. Cost €19.06 including delivery but I ordered it on Friday and had it yesterday.

corkie wrote: »
    No hdmi out on the nexus 7 but you can get a compatible OTG cable for it. Not to sure if it will work without been rooted!

Sending media >> to the device will work unrooted.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer

A tad expensive.. but well polished and presented and overall, worth it. You can test your tablet with the picture only app, for free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.viewer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Anyone seeing wireless constantly being dropped? Blue signal but no connection. Not modem issue and have static ip for n7. 3 days old, maybe a dud?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Thanks for the replies lads..

After doing some browsing I think I'd like to get this one

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1884539

I really like the look of it.

Although the magnetic one for a tenner that was mentioned earlier looks good too.

Jervis Street Curry\Dixons, Dublin, have the official Asus 'Travel cover' (dark grey) in stock, there were two on the rack this afternoon. Price is a bit mad, around €30..

• Advertisement
Advertisement