Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

1192021222325»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Given theres no micro SD slot i was never gonna just for for a 16GB model id haveto have 32GB minimum but im pleased to hear there will be a 32GB model released so ill be getting this, gotta rank as one of the best tablets alongside the ASUS Infinity and Galaxy Note 10.1

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/11/retailer-shows-32gb-version-of-the-nexus-7-to-cost-199-same-as-16gb/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

jonski wrote: »
    Looking at the other thread here I am not seeing anyone from Ireland with an Irish N7 that got the update OTA so no need to worry yet .

I did this evening

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Looking at the other thread here I am not seeing anyone from Ireland with an Irish N7 that got the update OTA so no need to worry yet .

I did this evening

Picked the update up this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

I did this evening
    Dingatron wrote: »
    Picked the update up this evening.

Might be time to start worrying so :(

Are these both N7's bought in the Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Are these both N7's bought in the Ireland ?

Argos Portlaoise for me anyway

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So im finally upgraded

You see my nexus is rooted and I thought I could use the about method but I had to do it manually
    http://androidadvices.com/update-asus-google-nexus-7-jellybean-412-jzo54k-firmware/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Mines rooted and picked it up as an OTA update. They throttle the update to avoid to many connections afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Rooted and i got mine OTA. also mine 3 weeks old and bought in hmv grafton street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Mines unrooted and just spotted the prompt for the update. Installing as we speak :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Was wondering does anybody have any tips/tricks when it comes to nightly builds from custom ROM's???

I'm using cyanogenmod 10 and there is a new release with the new update, what's the best way about going installing this, back up everything apps/movies etc? Then wipe the old one with CWM dalvik cache and whatnot and install fresh copy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Was wondering does anybody have any tips/tricks when it comes to nightly builds from custom ROM's???

I'm using cyanogenmod 10 and there is a new release with the new update, what's the best way about going installing this, back up everything apps/movies etc? Then wipe the old one with CWM dalvik cache and whatnot and install fresh copy?

On my phones I just open up rom manager and do a straight upgrade. Don't bother backing anything up or wiping it. I think you only need to wipe when moving from different rom types. e.g. CM9 to CM10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Headshot wrote: »
    I also tried it but no luck. Very frustrating.

It took me 2 attempts to get it - make sure when you clear and stop the services framework you just press back and don't exit the settings program (don't jump back to the home screen basically) - go directly to look for the system update.

First time I tried it didn't work as I went back to the home screen and this must have reloaded the data or something but second attempt I made sure not to exit the settings and it worked straight away :)

Hope this helps someone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

I have a nexus, rooted and unlocked, I upgraded to 4.1.2 this morning but now Stickmount does not pick up a USB device when I put it in.
    Any ideas what could be wrong please?

First sign of madness is talking to yourself, but I found the answer on XDA forum. I had to root the device again.
    All working again. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Hey guys, looking to know where is the cheapest to get one of these? I see its €250 in argos, but is that the best price around does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Tinie wrote: »
    Hey guys, looking to know where is the cheapest to get one of these? I see its €250 in argos, but is that the best price around does anyone know?

I believe it's 239 in HMV

• I think €240-250 is the going rate. I got mine for €250 last month from Littlewoods (after using a voucher).

On my phones I just open up rom manager and do a straight upgrade. Don't bother backing anything up or wiping it. I think you only need to wipe when moving from different rom types. e.g. CM9 to CM10.

I know CM10 have made a couple changes to their OS as you can now get OTA updates, I backed up everything just incase using Wugfresh Toolkit and wanted to just save all the apps/date but I think it done a backup of everything as the file ended up being over 5gb, then done a clean wipe of everything, installed the new nightly build but all my movies/comics were still there, are they not supposed to be deleted or whats the what?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I know CM10 have made a couple changes to their OS as you can now get OTA updates, I backed up everything just incase using Wugfresh Toolkit and wanted to just save all the apps/date but I think it done a backup of everything as the file ended up being over 5gb, then done a clean wipe of everything, installed the new nightly build but all my movies/comics were still there, are they not supposed to be deleted or whats the what?

Yeah, I forgot they added that in CM10. Great addition. It may be different for the Nexus 7 but for phones like the Galaxy S2, it works a little like this. Basically, the 16GB storage is split into two. One part is for the Android system and apps (it'll probably be a few GBs in size). The other part is treated like an SD card. The wiping process ignores the second part because it doesn't affect the OS so there is no need to get rid of it. All your movies and comics are stored on the second part so that is why they are still there. It's meant to be work like that so nothing went wrong.

Yeah, I forgot they added that in CM10. Great addition. It may be different for the Nexus 7 but for phones like the Galaxy S2, it works a little like this. Basically, the 16GB storage is split into two. One part is for the Android system and apps (it'll probably be a few GBs in size). The other part is treated like an SD card. The wiping process ignores the second part because it doesn't affect the OS so there is no need to get rid of it. All your movies and comics are stored on the second part so that is why they are still there. It's meant to be work like that so nothing went wrong.

Cheers for the heads up appreciate it, that's pretty nifty with the partition will make updating a lot easier from now on.

As for backing up apps, I don't want to constantly be backing up everything as it took over 1 hour, anything you recommend for backing up, Titanium backup or something like that?

Cheers for the heads up appreciate it, that's pretty nifty with the partition will make updating a lot easier from now on.

As for backing up apps, I don't want to constantly be backing up everything as it took over 1 hour, anything you recommend for backing up, Titanium backup or something like that?

I always found backing up apps problematic. I was backing up the apps and the app data, and something always went wrong when restoring them so I just stopped. If you don't backup app data you might not run into any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I was just wondering if the 32gb is on sale in Ireland?

No point in getting the 16 if you are getting 16gb extra for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

morana wrote: »
    I was just wondering if the 32gb is on sale in Ireland?

No point in getting the 16 if you are getting 16gb extra for free?

It'll more than likely cost more and it's not out yet. Not sure when it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

tok9 wrote: »
    It'll more than likely cost more and it's not out yet. Not sure when it will be.

Some sites are saying the 32 will replace the 16 and 16 to replace the 8 so the price wont change.

But yea no news on any 32 yet, maybe by xmas... or not at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

god's toy wrote: »
    Some sites are saying the 32 will replace the 16 and 16 to replace the 8 so the price wont change.

But yea no news on any 32 yet, maybe by xmas.

yeah thats what I read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

god's toy wrote: »

But yea no news on any 32 yet, maybe by xmas... or not at all

A link to some of the rumours on PC Advisor from today.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/tablets/3405040/google-nexus-7-32gb-model-is-inbound/

I was going to splash out on the 16gb soon, but think I'll wait now for a month and see if this 32gb model for the same price materialises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Google are expected to announcing the next Nexus phone at the end of this month. They could use the event to announce a new 32GB version of the Nexus 7 as well just like Apple are expected to announced a 13 inch Retina Mac Book Air at the iPad mini launch. Nothing I mentioned is officially announced but rumors are coming thick and fast for lots of reliable sources now.

Looking at the storage and price of the Kindle Fire HD, new Nook and the added competition from the upcoming iPad mini I can't see how Google would increase the price. They'll probably offer the 32GB for €249 and the 16GB for €199 as they aren't really pushing or selling the 8GB version much. Their were rumors a few months ago of a cheaper budget 8GB version for $99 but these have died down a lot.

I own a 16GB version for a while now and I'm very happy with it but if I was in your position I'd wait another two weeks in the hope of a cheaper 32GB version being released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Seen the 32GB Nexus 7 in PC World today for €249.99. Seems to be a decent enough price comparing it to amazon.co.uk etc....

Think I might end up going for the Nexus 7, though I would love the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, but the price of the Nexus 7 is very tempting...

I have the Galaxy S3 phone, so I'm wondering if there is much point to the Nexus 7 in my case? I'd be mostly using it around the house and when travelling. Mostly for web browsing, youtube, movies etc. How have people with the S3 found it? Worth having it alongside the S3 as it isn't that much bigger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Seen the 32GB Nexus 7 in PC World today for €249.99. Seems to be a decent enough price comparing it to amazon.co.uk etc....

Think I might end up going for the Nexus 7, though I would love the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, but the price of the Nexus 7 is very tempting...

I have the Galaxy S3 phone, so I'm wondering if there is much point to the Nexus 7 in my case? I'd be mostly using it around the house and when travelling. Mostly for web browsing, youtube, movies etc. How have people with the S3 found it? Worth having it alongside the S3 as it isn't that much bigger?

I've the s3 and an iPhone 4s (work phone) and I prefer it much more than my old iPad. Its fantastic as a second device. I bring it to work and use it at times for my calendar or just browsing the web etc.

It replaces my s3/computer for my music and is also much better I find for typing emails when compared to the s3. Of course, a laptop is better but it comes in handy.

My advice would be to go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

OREGATO wrote: »
    I've the s3 and an iPhone 4s (work phone) and I prefer it much more than my old iPad. Its fantastic as a second device. I bring it to work and use it at times for my calendar or just browsing the web etc.

It replaces my s3/computer for my music and is also much better I find for typing emails when compared to the s3. Of course, a laptop is better but it comes in handy.

My advice would be to go for it!

Cool thanks :-) Yeah it looks like a cracking little device!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

any idea where i can pick one of these up in store?

need to get one for the missus for crimbo and from a quick search i can see its in demand:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I'd say probably PC World or HMV would be your best option.

If you go the PC World/Currys route then I'd ask over on the big thread on their forum where has stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 iratira

Be forewarned that it is not a very robust device. If you are clumsy then watch out.
    The screen breaks easily... Watch a few drop tests on YouTube and you will see.
    Handle with care!

• Or buy a cover?

iratira wrote: »
    Be forewarned that it is not a very robust device. If you are clumsy then watch out.
    The screen breaks easily... Watch a few drop tests on YouTube and you will see.
    Handle with care!

I've had mine since they came out here (good few months ago) and I've never had issues with it. Dropped once or twice by accident and screen/back is still perfect - learnt my lesson though and bought a carry cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 iratira

Yeh good advice. Its a good device but performs worse on drop tests than its competitors and screen can't be fixed at all cheaply or easily.
    Good others have had a good experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

iratira wrote: »
    Yeh good advice. Its a good device but performs worse on drop tests than its competitors and screen can't be fixed at all cheaply or easily.
    Good others have had a good experience.

Just be careful not to drop it so. Other than that they're great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

guys need a bit of help. friend is looking for a high end tablet. I auto responded nexus 7, but I think he would go for the nexus 10. question is, where the hell can you buy the 10? looked on my regular websites and no one is stocking them. help?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    guys need a bit of help. friend is looking for a high end tablet. I auto responded nexus 7, but I think he would go for the nexus 10. question is, where the hell can you buy the 10? looked on my regular websites and no one is stocking them. help?

They are not available in Ireland yet. You have to order it from the Google Play UK Store. Lots of hoops to go through to get it. There's a Nexus 4 and 10 threads around here somewhere as they have the same ordering process.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

I've just installed flash player on my asus nexus 7 tablet (os jellybean 4.2.1)
    using the steps on the below link.
    Worked perfectly, RTE player now works fine for me. Happy out !!

http://thistechiegirl.com/2012/08/04/get-adobe-flash-to-work-on-jelly-bean/

Advertisement