Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

emo72 wrote: »
    I'm in Canada for the next week, any chance of getting it there?

Wouldnt count on it, i think its only general sale from the google website they are pre orders presently so might be mid july if not the end of july.

The one i had looked over came straight from the Google I/O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

ldr wrote: »
    thanks for the reply

planning to use it to play movies web browsing and play some games

But Flash is broken in Jellybean and Adobe don't support Flash on mobile devices any more so won't fix it.

OK there are youtube apps and the like but for example RTE don't have an android app so I guess you won't be able to use RTE Player on the Nexus 7 unless someone comes up with a third party fix?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Do-more wrote: »
    But Flash is broken in Jellybean and Adobe don't support Flash on mobile devices any more so won't fix it.

OK there are youtube apps and the like but for example RTE don't have an android app so I guess you won't be able to use RTE Player on the Nexus 7 unless someone comes up with a third party fix?

thats not good :( so does that mean sites like aertv.ie wont play on jelly bean.

im sure someone will fix the flash player.

what other alternatives is there for a tablet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Man that's so disappointing if it's the case. The main reason I was holding out for one of these over an ipad was the flash support :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Well heres an archived list of Adobe flash players (including android)
    Might not be supported or installable from the market but it still might work
    http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Flash still works when it's sideloaded on jellybean.

The Great Chinholio, I've a feeling we follow a similar person on tiwtter ?

Ste- wrote: »
    Flash still works when it's sideloaded on jellybean.

The Great Chinholio, I've a feeling we follow a similar person on tiwtter ?

If youre an Android fan and you dont follow Paul O'Brien youre a silly silly person :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I find it hard to believe that people don't use their tablets outside of the house. That would completely defeat the purpose for me. About 75% of the time I use it where I have no WiFi connection so having no SD card would be a joke.

I find it hard to believe that people don't use their tablets outside of the house. That would completely defeat the purpose for me. About 75% of the time I use it where I have no WiFi connection so having no SD card would be a joke.

What tablet do you have? And what do you be doing with 16GB worth of data randomly outside where there is never wifi connection?

Im genuinely interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

have to admit i am in the market for a 7inch tablet. the nexus 7 was nailed on until i found thie Galaxy tab plus for 254.99 price is great http://www.expansys.ie/samsung-galaxy-tab-7-0-plus-wi-fi-16gb-white-eu-tablet+uk-adapter-231441/

seems to get good reviews. any thoughts on this vs the 7?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I was looking at the Samsung tablets and might go with one but best to wait until the end of this month to see how the availability of the nexus is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

did someone mention a US website that would deliver the nexus 7 from the US and is not deliverme.ie

irishgeo wrote: »
    did someone mention a US website that would deliver the nexus 7 from the US and is not deliverme.ie

viaddress.com ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

BrookieD wrote: »
    have to admit i am in the market for a 7inch tablet. the nexus 7 was nailed on until i found thie Galaxy tab plus for 254.99 price is great http://www.expansys.ie/samsung-galaxy-tab-7-0-plus-wi-fi-16gb-white-eu-tablet+uk-adapter-231441/

seems to get good reviews. any thoughts on this vs the 7?

only benefit i can see is sd card support... also you can buy the cable for hdtv support (expensive and unique so just used for the galaxy).. still waiting to see if this nexus 7 actually supports video through usb.

worse processor probabyl too.... i see no benefit of it tbh...
    im kinda waiting to see what microsoft's surface pans out to cost... really like the keyboard attachment they have, though im not sure ill like their OS...

listermint wrote: »
    What tablet do you have? And what do you be doing with 16GB worth of data randomly outside where there is never wifi connection?

Im genuinely interested.

I have a Flytouch which I used to watch films and TV series on, on my lunch break, travelling etc.

Nexus 7 tear down here.

invest4deepvalue.com

What does I/O mean? Apart from Input/Output and Insect Overlord.

kenyard wrote: »
    still waiting to see if this nexus 7 actually supports video through usb.

The Verge reports that the Nexus 7 doesn't support video out on the USB port, it looks like Google want you to buy their ridiculously over-priced Google Q to stream video to your TV.

invest4deepvalue.com

I have a Flytouch which I used to watch films and TV series on, on my lunch break, travelling etc.

Well if there is only 4Gb on it then yes SD card is a must. 16GB is more than enough for what your describing tbh. Unless your travelling for a month with no access to wifi....

• Advertisement

The Verge reports that the Nexus 7 doesn't support video out on the USB port, it looks like Google want you to buy their ridiculously over-priced Google Q to stream video to your TV.

Now thats a drawback if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

You can seem to just order one of these direct from google. Anyone know if I order now, when they actually charge my credit card?

GrumPy wrote: »
    You can seem to just order one of these direct from google. Anyone know if I order now, when they actually charge my credit card?

Normal procedure is to make an authorisation on your card now and only take the money when the goods are ready for dispatch.

Which market were you going to order in? It's not available to pre-order in many countries.

invest4deepvalue.com

could you order off a US VPN so google play displays the device, ship to something like this http://www.reship.com and then recieve in Ireland?

Normal procedure is to make an authorisation on your card now and only take the money when the goods are ready for dispatch.

Which market were you going to order in? It's not available to pre-order in many countries.

I have no idea. I just went to the google play store, signed in with my normal gmail credentials, selected the 1 6 g b model and Ireland. For as far ass credit card details, but I didn't complete because I was unsure if they would charge me or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Not sure if is worth it from finanacial point of view but you can always travel to Newry.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/asus-google-nexus-7-tablet-pc-16-gb-15648510-pdt.html

• Advertisement

199stg is about 250euros, i am heading over to the uk on the 27th so might pick one up when there? also i wonder if Dixons in Dublin airport will be stocking and at what prices...

Declan the MD from Currys/Pc world forum should know this info .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056686662

listermint wrote: »
    Well if there is only 4Gb on it then yes SD card is a must. 16GB is more than enough for what your describing tbh. Unless your travelling for a month with no access to wifi....

Some of these things only have 8GB though, and probably at least a gig of that is used up so it only amounts to one Hi-Def film free and no room for music or photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

BrookieD wrote: »
    199stg is about 250euros, i am heading over to the uk on the 27th so might pick one up when there? also i wonder if Dixons in Dublin airport will be stocking and at what prices...

€250 seems like a lot to pay for a 7" tablet with no TV Out or SD card support - both should be a given IMO

Compare it with one of the Aurora line for example (which is just over half the price but has IPS, SD cards, TV out etc) and I think it's only going to sell on it's name and the "quad core" marketing

For €250 I'd want a bigger screen and the above "features" as standard.

@Kaiser2000
    That's why i was looking at a Galaxy Tab Plus for 250 from expansys.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Can the Nexus 7 be pre-ordered thro Google+ from Ireland (with an Irish credit card)?

I'm pretty sure HMV deliver here.

Delivery Type:
    STANDARD AIRMAIL - £2.50
    OVERSEAS COURIER DELIVERY - £27.00

Standard Airmail: You will be charged a shipping cost for each item placed on your order - Europe £2.50, Rest Of The World £4.50. Upon entering the shipping country, deliveries will enter the postal system of the country concerned. It is our experience that goods delivered using this method arrive within 5-7 days of despatch for European destinations, and within 7-10 days of despatch for the Rest Of The World.

Overseas Courier Delivery: You will be charged a shipping cost for each item placed on your order - £27 Europe, £37 Rest Of The World. Orders will be dispatched using FedEx. This method is fully secure, and we can track and trace the shipment for you. Orders placed by this method should reach you within 2-3 days of despatch for European destinations, and within 3-5 days of despatch for the Rest Of The World. Orders sent via this method will require a signature upon receipt.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/navigate.do?ctx=3331;-1;-1;-1;-1&pPageID=3325

Thanks ordered from HMV. Asked in dixons Dublin airport and they don't know if they are getting any, I will have a look again when it's released.

Jet Black wrote: »
    Thanks ordered from HMV. Asked in dixons Dublin airport and they don't know if they are getting any, I will have a look again when it's released.

Would it not be cheaper to just buy direct off Google on the Play Store?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

im back!

questions i have asked so far to my ex work mate who has the device
    Is it faster then your S3?
    Yes it is because of JB and 12 core Gpu

what is the screen quality like?
    exactly same as galaxy nexus

sd card slot?
    Nope

Can you connect a usb stick on it?
    Nope as its disabled in the karnel(root it and you are good to go! just install a rom that enabled usb host mode. thats it)

battery life
    Great so far 8-9 hours battery life

aditional notes:
    Bazel is quite large and it is the best 7 inch tablet available. They are also working on a 10 inch version.

That is what i asked so far. he went to the google conference

The 12 core GPU is just standard for Tegra 3.
    The Transformer Prime, One X, A510 etc all have it aswell and clocked higher then the N7.
    The S3s GPU is better then the Nvidia one so any smoothness would be more down to JB

The 12 core GPU is just standard for Tegra 3.
    The Transformer Prime, One X, A510 etc all have it aswell and clocked higher then the N7.
    The S3s GPU is better then the Nvidia one so any smoothness would be more down to JB

JB is epic then, simples

Would it not be cheaper to just buy direct off Google on the Play Store?

It probably would. I'm guessing I would have to use a rerouting company then might have to pay customs?

think i will order a 16gb and case from the play store in the uk and have it delivered to my mums address... pick it up when over a week later.... sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Was tempted to get one of these so I read a review of it pros and cons:

http://techpp.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-positives-negatives/

Pros still make me want to get it though a couple of those cons could be dealbreakers

Hmmmm… Google Play Store lets me select Ireland for shipping, and I got as far as the credit card entry screen – which contradicts the below link, as it looks like it would have at least tried to process my order?

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2462844&topic= 2451685&ctx=topic

(Ireland isn’t listed as an optional shipping destination)

I might order off hmv...

8-9 hour battery life is rather poor, I would have thought. The Acer tablet is almost double that, is it not?

8-9 hour battery life is rather poor, I would have thought. The Acer tablet is almost double that, is it not?

lol double? doubt it

The ipad is just over 11 and that has a 11,560mh battery. (although the screen is a massive drainer on that) but its still one of the highest battery lifes

lol double? doubt it

I've seen claims of between 13 and 18 hours for it, from Acer themselves, but it could be filthy lies.

I've seen claims of between 13 and 18 hours for it, from Acer themselves, but it could be filthy lies.

The A510?
    Engadget got 10:23 from their tests
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/30/acer-iconia-tab-a510-review/

The galaxy 7.7 got a;most 12 hours O_o
    Cant find the battery size in it though

The A510?
    Engadget got 10:23 from their tests
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/30/acer-iconia-tab-a510-review/

The galaxy 7.7 got a;most 12 hours O_o
    Cant find the battery size in it though

I don't know how they test them - the iPad2 is under 10 hours - but these guys got 15 from it somehow.

The nexus has a 4326mA battery, similar to the Kindle Fire. I don't know to be honest, it all seems a bit arbitrary.

I don't know how they test them - the iPad2 is under 10 hours - but [utle=http://www.digitalversus.com/tablet/acer-iconia-tab-a510-p12812/test.html]these guys[/url] got 15 from it somehow.

The nexus has a 4326mA battery, similar to the Kindle Fire. I don't know to be honest, it all seems a bit arbitrary.

Their test is an SD video running on a loop with Wi-Fi on and brightness at 50%.
    Not really accurate for real world usage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Was tempted to get one of these so I read a review of it pros and cons:

http://techpp.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-positives-negatives/

Pros still make me want to get it though a couple of those cons could be dealbreakers

One of the things that turned me off was the storage. One of the cons in that review shows the figures.

"Nexus 7 comes in two versions. An 8GB version (for $199) and a 16GB version (for $249). In fact, the total usable space in a 8GB Nexus 7 is just 5.52GB! Considering Nexus 7 to be primarily a content consumption device, it’s a serious handicap."

I'm not going to harp on about it, alot of you guys seem happy to use wifi exclusively. But still I can't believe that storage space, that is dark age stuff.

Advertisement