Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nattyguest

Someone above mentioned they bought it on HMV. I tried to purchase it today and received the message that it was only being sold/shipped to UK addresses.

Does anyone know of any other options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭brimal

nattyguest wrote: »
    Someone above mentioned they bought it on HMV. I tried to purchase it today and received the message that it was only being sold/shipped to UK addresses.

Does anyone know of any other options?

You could use a service like deliverme.ie

I think it's €22 for anything under 25kg

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nattyguest

brimal wrote: »
    You could use a service like deliverme.ie

I think it's €22 for anything under 25kg

Thanks bud for the suggestion - Like many however I have plenty of family in the UK to post if I wanted this option. Was hoping to just get something direct :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

$199 = £199??

Scandal really.

Gonna wait till Tesco or someone is selling them. probably for about €150.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

jayteecork wrote: »
    $199 = £199??

Scandal really.

Gonna wait till Tesco or someone is selling them. probably for about €150.
    It's $199 for the 8gb, £199 for the 16gb, the 8gb costs £159

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Nolimits wrote: »
    It's $199 for the 8gb, £199 for the 16gb, the 8gb costs £159

Plus sales tax on the U.S. price for residents so when you compare the UK sterling price minus VAT there is very little in it really.

At today's exchange rate US$199 = €161.64 + 23% VAT = €198.82

With reports that Goggle is selling the Nexus 7 at cost or below cost then I will be very surprised if it is sold for less than €199 in Ireland. and we will be getting a good deal compared to the US price at that.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Might be able to get it from PC world/currys.
    nwo4ever wrote: »
    When will the pre ordering start in Rep of Ireland
    Discussed that this morning. I've guys working on it now. Will update during the week.

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056686662

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

the main thing here in latter posts is storage. 5.5Gb is not enough. putting it bluntly..

seems rooting and having usb's is a must with this :/

Why doesn't this thing has a microSD card slot btw?

• Advertisement

makes it cheaper and easier to make i guess...
    i would ask the same about a hdmi port or usb compliant hdmi port but same reasoning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Makes the 16 gig model more appealing. It's stingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

It's a conscious choice by google and not all about keeping costs down.
    They've been discussing it recently:

http://www.androidcentral.com/why-nexus-devices-have-no-sd-card

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/07/07/editorial-why-the-200-nexus-7-has-only-8gb-of-non-expandable-storage-and-why-its-for-the-best/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The solution to the negligible problem of data corruption on a FAT-based expanded storage device is to not allow one at all... cool logic, Google.

Very Apple-like business - wouldn't have expected it of Google tbh.

Why not just release the 8GB model with a microsd card slot?

You can buy 8GB of flash in a USB drive or microsd for about 5e these days, so I find it hard to believe that google are selling these below cost. 8GB extra storage = extra 30 quid? - rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

You can buy 8GB of flash in a USB drive or microsd for about 5e these days, so I find it hard to believe that google are selling these below cost. 8GB extra storage = extra 30 quid? - rip off.

Their selling the tablet at a lose, so want to make back money on purchases from the play store, if you want extra storage go for the 16gb version, it costs €200 so some sacrifices have to be made ! we still get an excellent screen, tegra 3 soc.

beno619 wrote: »
    Their selling the tablet at a lose, so want to make back money on purchases from the play store, if you want extra storage go for the 16gb version, it costs €200 so some sacrifices have to be made ! we still get an excellent screen, tegra 3 soc.

Yeah but having a microSD card slot = 32GB extra = even more apps from the play store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I was told from someone who'd be in a position to know that they are selling this - 8GB model -below cost. Although the pricing structure lack of SD doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Yeah but having a microSD card slot = 32GB extra = even more apps from the play store.

An Asus transformer gives that kind of storage and similar hardware for twice the price, again this is the 1st version of a €200 tablet and theres not much to complain about you could always wait for a nexus 10 or nexus 7 eh 2 ? but I dont see much of an improvement in storage coming in at that very low price point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

...you can get netflix on your ps3 anyway... why stream from another device to your ps3 :S
    if you want us netflix just change your dns server (so i was told)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Depends who you use. I use a paid service cause I think its worth the 3 a month. Plus they started rolling out a function so you can switch Netflix servers from a drop down

sounds like a decent idea that... im guessing the us will have 99% of any content they have available anyway except maybe some irish shows if they are on netflix. or maybe some uk...
    every little counts in the end. free services ftw :P
    i was just concerned that changing dns would increase ping times for games.. or maybe make your games search for us based servers instead of european if the option was available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Depends who you use. I use a paid service cause I think its worth the 3 a month. Plus they started rolling out a function so you can switch Netflix servers from a drop down
    Can you pm me the link for that service please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Which smart DNS service is doing that? :)

Unblock-us

Also, strangest Nexus 7 Ad/Unboxing yet?? I believe so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jesus, that's fair random alright.. Makes me want one more though...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dulpit wrote: »
    Jesus, that's fair random alright.. Makes me want one more though...

That video would put me off getting one of these, I fúcking hate it when ninjas wreck my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Unblock-us

Same service I use! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I really want one but know I shouldn't splash out on one just yet until I get to play with one in a shop or something and figure out what I'll use it for

but damn I want it - it really does look like it's amazing value for money, I can live without the SD card, HDMI would have been nice but mehh once again it's something I can easily live without...

I know well I'm gonna end up getting one of these :o - been waiting to get a good tablet since the HP Touchpad sale last year, but refusing to spend over the odds for one - this looks like it could be the one to seal the deal for me...

it really does look like a great piece of kit for the price especially - can't wait to give one a good run out and see what they are really like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

I have an Android Tablet myself, but can anybody tell me why the Nexus 7 is using the phone version of JB/ICS, as opposed to the tablet version with the soft buttons?

Confused about that :P

I have an Android Tablet myself, but can anybody tell me why the Nexus 7 is using the phone version of JB/ICS, as opposed to the tablet version with the soft buttons?

Confused about that :P

Its using the 7 inch scaled version. JB goes to the regular tablet interface on 10 inch screens.
    Setup that way since its designed to be held in portrait more then landscape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Sent Declan a PM for a pre-order. Hopefully be able to pick one of these babies up. :) Keeping an eye on this thread!

Are pre-orders specific to a particular branch? Wanna try get mine as close to home as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

GrumPy wrote: »
    Sent Declan a PM for a pre-order. Hopefully be able to pick one of these babies up. :) Keeping an eye on this thread!

Are pre-orders specific to a particular branch? Wanna try get mine as close to home as possible.
    post 77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Can you really plug in a USB memory key? I read somewhere that it only supplies 2V to the USB (intentional). I would tolerate no SD slot, but not being able to plug in a USB stick to quickly transfer video is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

After weighing up the pros and cons on this, I decided to pre-order the 16GB today from Currys so hopefully will have it in just over a weeks time :)

Lot more pros then cons and I'm sure the smart people on the XDA forums will find ways around some of those cons.

I liked these in depth reviews (1 + 2) as it gave me a good idea of what i'll be getting.

Guys bit off topic here but how does this compare to the Nexus 7?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab2-inch-Tablet/dp/tech-data/B0080OY3H4/ref=de_a_smtd

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    Can you really plug in a USB memory key? I read somewhere that it only supplies 2V to the USB (intentional). I would tolerate no SD slot, but not being able to plug in a USB stick to quickly transfer video is a joke.

From reading some of the megathread on the XDA forum, apparently a few people got various drives to work with theirs by first rooting it and then using StickMount though I'll need to read more to get more detail.

Also I noticed the below video hitting various sites which shows a magnet turning on and off the display - like the ipads SmartCover

I really like this cover on Amazon so if that's true, I'll getting one of them or something similar

A bunch of cool info about rooting, usb mounting and all that jazz!

http://liliputing.com/2012/06/google-nexus-7-hacking-begins-root-custom-recovery-system-dump-more.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

A bunch of cool info about rooting, usb mounting and all that jazz!

A very clear and concise read, cheers GrumPy. I've avoided the Android Software Developer Kit up to now.

Just read this on IGN:

Somewhat surprisingly, the glass used is not Corning’s Gorilla Glass, which seems to make the glass behind most tablets now, ranging from the iPad to Microsoft Surface. Instead, ASUS opted to use standard scratch-resistant glass.

I don't consider it surprising at all personally, as it's most likely a cost saving measure. However, it does concern me. My Galaxy SII has this "Gorilla Glass" and it's a superb piece of tech. I've had the phone over a year now, and it's been through the wars. There is ONE tiny 2-3mm scratch on the screen. The glass is genuinely tough as hell.

I guess my Nexus 7 won't be with me 24/7, so chances of it going through a similar gauntlet as my phone are pretty much absent... so I wont worry too much. :P

Just read this on IGN:

Somewhat surprisingly, the glass used is not Corning’s Gorilla Glass, which seems to make the glass behind most tablets now, ranging from the iPad to Microsoft Surface. Instead, ASUS opted to use standard scratch-resistant glass.

That's suprising for me as I expected it to be gorilla glass like the rest but as you say it's probably been done to cut costs.

That being said I don't expect it to affect me as it's not going to be something I bring everywhere with me (unlike my phone) and I'll make sure it has a nice cover to protect it anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Just read this on IGN:

I don't consider it surprising at all personally, as it's most likely a cost saving measure. However, it does concern me. My Galaxy SII has this "Gorilla Glass" and it's a superb piece of tech. I've had the phone over a year now, and it's been through the wars. There is ONE tiny 2-3mm scratch on the screen. The glass is genuinely tough as hell.

I guess my Nexus 7 won't be with me 24/7, so chances of it going through a similar gauntlet as my phone are pretty much absent... so I wont worry too much. :P

Not according to PC World:

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ASUS-Google-Nexus-7-Tablet-PC-16-GB/311287/2.9#product-information
    The 7" multitouch screen is made with Gorilla Glass which not only offers scratch resistance, but also features viewing angles up to 178° wide. This makes it perfect for sharing, and with the 1280 x 800 resolution, you can be sure that whatever you're using your tablet for it will look superb.

dregin wrote: »

Theyre wrong. Its been mentioned in a few places that it isnt Gorilla Glass but is from the same manufacturer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Theyre wrong. Its been mentioned in a few places that it isnt Gorilla Glass but is from the same manufacturer

To be fair, depending on what website you read no one seems to know the qualities of the screen only that its made by corning. So it may be lotus glass gorilla class 2 or what ever. but none of the websites are actually confident in what they are saying...

so in summation your wrong unless you can back it up with hard evidence of which i have been unable to find more conflicting opinions.

listermint wrote: »
    To be fair, depending on what website you read no one seems to know the qualities of the screen only that its made by corning. So it may be lotus glass gorilla class 2 or what ever. but none of the websites are actually confident in what they are saying...

so in summation your wrong unless you can back it up with hard evidence of which i have been unable to find more conflicting opinions.

I've actually asked Declan over on the Curry\PC World forum and he's following this up with people in the know "across the pond" and will let us know. This provide me with enough info and any further evidence I need will be when it's in my hand hopefully next week :D

::EDIT::

Declan just confirmed no Gorilla and are updating website :)
    Had a confirmation that it's not Gorilla. We've alerted the web guys across the pond ( their site feeds our site ) and they should hopefully get that sorted pdq.

listermint wrote: »

I've actually asked Declan over on the Curry\PC World forum and he's following this up with people in the know "across the pond" and will let us know. This provide me with enough info and any further evidence I need will be when it's in my hand hopefully next week :D

::EDIT::

Declan just confirmed no Gorilla and are updating website :)
    Had a confirmation that it's not Gorilla. We've alerted the web guys across the pond ( their site feeds our site ) and they should hopefully get that sorted pdq.

Main issue with phones is it being in your pocket with keys etc... Stuff like that so I don't think this needs it unless you are bringing it around in your briefcase or bag and don't get a case with it . It's possible it gets scratches I suppose... Gah still kinda want this but cost of accessorising my S3 is gonna be the money is wud have spent on this

• Advertisement
Advertisement