Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

So, are we even going to get this over here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

koHd wrote: »

Yup we are - it's on sale in PC World from the end of next week

Have decided I'm going to take the plunge into tablet ownership anyways - I may as well with Google's flagship tablet that's going to be as well supported as can be, have a load of attention shown towards it by Google and all at a relatively low price point..

now to make the decision to order online and sit waiting in the house for it or to head up to Dublin to get it in person.. decisions decisions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

koHd wrote: »

There's a thread here with all information you need plus you can PM Declan if you want to collect it or just order it from Currys/PC World website and it will be delivered prob this day week (web orders get priority :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Shipping stateside today 13/07/2012.Must try and get one tomorrow .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Anyone know of shops with demo to try hands on today. Want to preorder with PC World but would like to just hold one and see how it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

dont think they are in the shops in dublin yet.. i have one pre ordered i hmv, they are supposed to be out monday but i dont think they will have till later in the week or early following week, i was worried about the size being to small, but i had a play with a samsung 7.0 tab they have in there and its the same screen size as that and its actually pretty decent. I have a Galaxy nexus so looking forward to it arriving.. if you see any in HMV let me know

Cheers,
    Mick
    chris85 wrote: »
    Anyone know of shops with demo to try hands on today. Want to preorder with PC World but would like to just hold one and see how it is.

dont think they are in the shops in dublin yet.. i have one pre ordered i hmv, they are supposed to be out monday but i dont think they will have till later in the week or early following week, i was worried about the size being to small, but i had a play with a samsung 7.0 tab they have in there and its the same screen size as that and its actually pretty decent. I have a Galaxy nexus so looking forward to it arriving.. if you see any in HMV let me know

Cheers,
    Mick

Yeah it think the specs are fantastic but its my first tablet so concerned about the 7 inch size. Will go in and mess around with the 7 inch Samsung and see how the form of it is. I know the Nexus 7 will be very good performance wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Yeah 16gb 239.99

I presume HMV are only stocking the 16GB? Any idea of price?

• Advertisement

Yeah I thought it was decent might be different when I pick it up I have a receipt with pre order number but it doesn't list price..

That's a really good price. They're £199 in the UK and Curry will be selling then for €259.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Technomanic

Here's something interesting for people disappointed with the lack of video output.

http://esrlabs.com/android-transporter-on-the-raspberry-pi/

Hmv Grafton street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Yeah 16gb 239.99

Where did you get that price?
    Have you any official link / email to verify it?

• Advertisement

Nope that's the price he quoted me in store when I placed the order
    Yeah 16gb 239.99

Where did you get that price?
    Have you any official link / email to verify it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Tempted to get one of these. Always wanted a tablet but didn't want to pay ipad prices.

If HMV are doing it for €239.99 then that is a great price. Will ring them shortly and see if they can confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Ian1986

I am looking at getting one but it not having a Micro SD is a let down. Would it be possible to buy a micro USB to USB adaptor and then use a flash drive for added memory. I am going traveling and having a few movies on a memory stick or hard drive would be great.

This should be possible but you may need to root the device. hmv are now saying 19th for my order
    Ian1986 wrote: »
    I am looking at getting one but it not having a Micro SD is a let down. Would it be possible to buy a micro USB to USB adaptor and then use a flash drive for added memory. I am going traveling and having a few movies on a memory stick or hard drive would be great.

• Advertisement

I rang HMV and they are not taking preorders. Also they werent sure on price as I was told they will drop in price by the end of the week. He said to ring back on Thursday and they will have pricing set up on their system, he couldnt confirm a price for me. He also said would want to be in early enough to get one as expecting demand to be high.

When I placed my order was on their system as Asus tablet (Google nexus) anyway hope they honour the order and price given. Was it grafton street you talked to Chris?
    I rang HMV and they are not taking preorders. Also they werent sure on price as I was told they will drop in price by the end of the week. He said to ring back on Thursday and they will have pricing set up on their system, he couldnt confirm a price for me. He also said would want to be in early enough to get one as expecting demand to be high.

When I placed my order was on their system as Asus tablet (Google nexus) anyway hope they honour the order and price given. Was it grafton street you talked to Chris?

Rang the one in Blanchardstown as the easiest for me to get to. I am sure if they have taken your order already then it will be honoured. May be different with branches in town but would have thought would be same for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

wait.. I thought that $250 was around €200, for the 16 gb? How did it jump up to €259? Because doesn't sound like a 16 gb for me at this rate :(

Well hmv quoted me 239. Usually 250 dollars comes in at 250 euro here when it comes to consumer goods... so I was surprised by the 239
    Dubhaltach wrote: »
    wait.. I thought that $250 was around €200, for the 16 gb? How did it jump up to €259? Because doesn't sound like a 16 gb for me at this rate :(

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

250 in Argos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

jayteecork wrote: »
    250 in Argos.

Not available until the 6th of August it looks like though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Any confirmation these will be available to collect when PC World opens on Thursday morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Is anyone in Ireland going to stock the 8gb version and what price will it be. The use I have in mind for it would not need 16gb and 8gb would be more than enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

touts wrote: »
    Is anyone in Ireland going to stock the 8gb version and what price will it be. The use I have in mind for it would not need 16gb and 8gb would be more than enough.

8GB is only on the Play store. Retailers are getting the 16gb (presumably since theres a higher profit margin)

GrumPy wrote: »
    Any confirmation these will be available to collect when PC World opens on Thursday morning?
    It despatches on the 19th and will arrive hopefully the following day. No need to go to Belfast if you want the product ont he 19th, you just need to get onto our reserve list on the other Nexus thread here.
    Thanks for all the pm's folks. I think I've confirmed to you all that you're on the list.

I'm taking no more now as I'm passing the list onto our stock guys who will get the product moving to the respective stores. I'll need confirmation that all of that is in order. What I'll then do is confirm the position tomorrow or Wednesday.

Are you the reserve list? If you are and they get the stock i'd say there is a very good chance.

Declan (from Currys/PC World) said that pre-orders online get priority i.e. dispatched on Thursday morning for next day delivery (all going well) then the stock they have left will be for the people on the reserve list, who can pick up on the day.

That's what I understand from the reading the thread on Talk to... (and why I pre-ordered) though if you want confirmation of the above I suggest asking Declan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We dont know the 'fact's on this yet so stop propagating this. There are too many unconfirmed conflicting reports in relation to the glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

listermint wrote: »
    We dont know the 'fact's on this yet so stop propagating this. There are too many unconfirmed conflicting reports in relation to the glass.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79711032&postcount=200 ;)

invest4deepvalue.com

listermint wrote: »

As in previous post PC World have gone and checked this with Google direct and they have confirmed it has not got Gorilla glass. Good enough for me and should be for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As in previous post PC World have gone and checked this with Google direct and they have confirmed it has not got Gorilla glass. Good enough for me and should be for you.

Fair enough, its difficult to find edited posts amongst stuff thats already been read.

But do we know what the glass is ?

All we seem to know is its Scratch-resistant Corning glass (they are the makers of the Gorilla glass).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭brimal

The fairly reputable Gizmodo have been told by Google it is not Gorilla Glass

http://gizmodo.com/5923138/google-nexus-7-dissection-reveals-chips-chops-and-retina-macbook-ram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Everyone make sure you have one of these bad boys on hand when you go to open the box - apparently the box is very hard to get open :pac:

d3b1dcee13d08e2c_chain_saws.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im going to pick one up in the next week, they are so keenly priced its hard to resist to be honest, altho i dont know what niche it will take when i already have an ipad 3, galay3 and a kindle, but anyway....

anyone ordered a folio case yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

At $250 there isn't a lot of meat on the bone for the retailer. Factor in higher VAT costs, higher staff wages and higher rents it's not surprising it's going to cost a little more, especially as it's so highly sought after.

A case is about the only thing I'm missing at the moment. Probably going to wait to see what Google bring out as I presume once the tablet has its full release more accessories will appear.

What's a folio case? Searching it is giving me various answers.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

brimal wrote: »
    The fairly reputable Gizmodo have been told by Google it is not Gorilla Glass

http://gizmodo.com/5923138/google-nexus-7-dissection-reveals-chips-chops-and-retina-macbook-ram

We knew this last week when Declan over on the PC World thread (linky) said so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

It's 250dollars PLUS SALES TAX in the US, which on average is about 10% more. So 275 dollars for the 16gb version. That equates to about 230euro. We also have a higher tax on electronic goods coming into the country, so that would add a wee bit more. We're not going to be bad if you ask me.

People forget that the prices quoted in the US are without Sales Tax.
    It's the exact same thing when you walk into a store over there, you see the price on the thing, go to the register and BAM, costs more cause of sales tax not being on the lable. (this is down to each city / county / state having their own taxing system)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

People forget that the prices quoted in the US are without Sales Tax.
    It's the exact same thing when you walk into a store over there, you see the price on the thing, go to the register and BAM, costs more cause of sales tax not being on the lable. (this is down to each city / county / state having their own taxing system)

The amount of times that caught me out over there was ridiculous :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

8GB is only on the Play store. Retailers are getting the 16gb (presumably since theres a higher profit margin)

I see nothing but apps on the play store. Is that something I'm doing wrong or is it apps only in Ireland? I can understand that they can't sell movies and TV etc on the Irish play store but their own technology?

• Advertisement
Advertisement