Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

touts wrote: »
    I see nothing but apps on the play store. Is that something I'm doing wrong or is it apps only in Ireland? I can understand that they can't sell movies and TV etc on the Irish play store but their own technology?

It's only available on Play Store in 4-5 countries (which of course we are not one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So it appears we have the following (correct if wrong)

HMV 16GB €239
    Argos 16GB €249
    Currys PC World 16GB €259

And these hit the shelves Friday?

I'm thinking of picking one up.

I have a motorola XOOM, but mighe pass that onto this misses and use this myself.

I don't normally buy into the " o they will sell out" thing for mostly anything, so I'm hoping I can pop into HMV Grafton st on Friday morning on the way to work and grab one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

TheDoc wrote: »
    So it appears we have the following (correct if wrong)

HMV 16GB €239
    Argos 16GB €249
    Currys PC World 16GB €259

And these hit the shelves Friday?

I'm thinking of picking one up.

I have a motorola XOOM, but mighe pass that onto this misses and use this myself.

I don't normally buy into the " o they will sell out" thing for mostly anything, so I'm hoping I can pop into HMV Grafton st on Friday morning on the way to work and grab one.

The HMV price is unconfirmed. AFAIK, someone was told that price by a sales rep in HMV, but there is no writing or confirmation of that being the final price tbh.

I'd be very surprized if it was tbh, HMV are selling it in the UK for 199pounds and converting that with todays rates (not including our increased taxes), comes out at 253euro!

The HMV price is unconfirmed. AFAIK, someone was told that price by a sales rep in HMV, but there is no writing or confirmation of that being the final price tbh.

I'd be very surprized if it was tbh, HMV are selling it in the UK for 199pounds and converting that with todays rates (not including our increased taxes), comes out at 253euro!

Apparently the informaton TheDoc posted above has rang up the places and has confirmed prices and release dates for above stores. Linky here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Apparently the informaton TheDoc posted above has rang up the places and has confirmed prices and release dates for above stores. Linky here

Unless there was hard writing / online somewhere official, I don't buy it.
    I'll eat my own hair if HMV sell it for that price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Probably a stupid question, but I presume there'll be an almighty rooting community for this yoke?

Soarer wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question, but I presume there'll be an almighty rooting community for this yoke?

It was rooted before it came out :)

All info as usual on xda forum

Also GrumPy post this a few pages back, some nice info: http://liliputing.com/2012/06/google-nexus-7-hacking-begins-root-custom-recovery-system-dump-more.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Quoted, and I expect a video.

Quick question, can we choose where the hair comes from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

It was rooted before it came out :)

All info as usual on xda forum

Also GrumPy post this a few pages back, some nice info: http://liliputing.com/2012/06/google-nexus-7-hacking-begins-root-custom-recovery-system-dump-more.html

Thanks for the info.

Been trying to justify an iPad to myself, but I just can't get past the pricetag. The Nexus will make a fine little alternative at half the price!

Sure as eggs are eggs though, as soon as I buy one, one of two things (maybe both!) will happen.
    1. Apple will reduce the price of the iPad by €100.
    2.They'll announce a 7" version of the iPad for €300.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I wouldn't count on it, Apple don't bow to pressure from external sources.

Can't seem them reducing price of iPad as they never seem to reduce price of anything. There are though very strong rumors of a 7" iPad on the horizon and I def seeing that happening though Apples prices vary so impossible to guess a price!

Your most likely right.

I've gone back a few pages to see someone mentioned they have a pre order with HMV and were told €239, so it might be just incorrect info being passed through the store. It appears that poster also was in Grafton Street.However the guy told me there was no pre-order being taken, and he wasnt aware of any pre-orders for them, was pretty confident there won't be any put aside.

From experience working in Argos, if it does appear in places Thursday then everyone will put them out to buy.HMV is on the walk for me into work so thats why I'm hoping they are available, €239 would be a nice price but I'll fork out the extra if required.

Also, in regards to HMV, they typically sell all their new release games much cheaper then anywhere else, and I know they do the same with some of their electronics (Samsung Tab was cheapest here on release day) so wouldn't be suprised if it was cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

7" screen seems fairly small for a tablet. Not much bigger than my phone. Trying to justify getting one these. When are they out?

I've a Kindle and its a noticable different holding in the hand against my Samsung Galaxy S2.

Reading it as text does seem much, putting it side by side is a massive difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    7" screen seems fairly small for a tablet. Not much bigger than my phone. Trying to justify getting one these. When are they out?
    I was worried about Screen size to but had a play with a Samsung tab 7.0 in hmv and was actually surprised. Its a nice size. I've been on the phone a couple of times to hmv and they have confirmed the price of 239.99 each time. I have receipt with my order number. They are still quoting Thursday but I expect next Monday to be honest. I'll let you know if I get it and at what price. Cheers Mick

Just to add if they don't honour the price I'll kick up a mighty stink over it!
    Patsy fyre wrote: »
    I was worried about Screen size to but had a play with a Samsung tab 7.0 in hmv and was actually surprised. Its a nice size. I've been on the phone a couple of times to hmv and they have confirmed the price of 239.99 each time. I have receipt with my order number. They are still quoting Thursday but I expect next Monday to be honest. I'll let you know if I get it and at what price. Cheers Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

argos website saying its out of stock everywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i dropped them an email.

Declan (from Currys/PC World) updated the stock status for anyone interested in getting one of these tomorrow without pre-order.
    Here's the status for tomorrow

Stock goes on sale at store opening times tomorrow morning. You can see those times on our websites.

All stock has been received for those who have pre-ordered online. Those orders will be processed first thing tomorrow morning and we expect to have them out of the webstore and in the courier's van by midday. That will normally guarantee next day delivery anywhere in the country. We obviously can't guarantee that but fingers crossed.

All stock has been received for those who reserved with me here. You know who you are.... That stock will also be available for collection from store opening times tomorrow. Stores have received an email from me with your names and this stock is held in the store secure cage until you come to collect. You have until close of business on Saturday to do so, at which point it will go on general sale. My one caveat is that this is a manual transfer process and I've tried to avoid making any error, so please don't shoot me if I have. It's been quite a number of pm's .

After pre-orders and pm's there will still be a little stock left over for general sale. But not a lot. Blanchardstown, Airside, PC World Carrickmines, Jervis and Liffey Valley will have 4 - 6 units each. So, if you really want one you'll need to be at these stores before opening time. We only have 3 units in our brand new Megastore in Cork, which is a disappointment.

Other stores in stock from tomorrow will be Currys Galway, PC World Galway, Currys Limerick, PC World Limerick, Currys Sligo, PC World Sligo, Currys Carlow, PC World Dundalk, PC World Tallaght. All of these stores will have 2-4 units.

More stock will arrive in due course but a lot of it has been collared by the pre-order people and the boardsies.

We'll not have the cases to start with and it is likely to be at least a week before we have these.

Hopefully that answers all the questions.

Hmv now saying Monday for stock
    Declan (from Currys/PC World) updated the stock status for anyone interested in getting one of these tomorrow without pre-order.
    Here's the status for tomorrow

Stock goes on sale at store opening times tomorrow morning. You can see those times on our websites.

All stock has been received for those who have pre-ordered online. Those orders will be processed first thing tomorrow morning and we expect to have them out of the webstore and in the courier's van by midday. That will normally guarantee next day delivery anywhere in the country. We obviously can't guarantee that but fingers crossed.

All stock has been received for those who reserved with me here. You know who you are.... That stock will also be available for collection from store opening times tomorrow. Stores have received an email from me with your names and this stock is held in the store secure cage until you come to collect. You have until close of business on Saturday to do so, at which point it will go on general sale. My one caveat is that this is a manual transfer process and I've tried to avoid making any error, so please don't shoot me if I have. It's been quite a number of pm's .

After pre-orders and pm's there will still be a little stock left over for general sale. But not a lot. Blanchardstown, Airside, PC World Carrickmines, Jervis and Liffey Valley will have 4 - 6 units each. So, if you really want one you'll need to be at these stores before opening time. We only have 3 units in our brand new Megastore in Cork, which is a disappointment.

Other stores in stock from tomorrow will be Currys Galway, PC World Galway, Currys Limerick, PC World Limerick, Currys Sligo, PC World Sligo, Currys Carlow, PC World Dundalk, PC World Tallaght. All of these stores will have 2-4 units.

More stock will arrive in due course but a lot of it has been collared by the pre-order people and the boardsies.

We'll not have the cases to start with and it is likely to be at least a week before we have these.

Hopefully that answers all the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thanks for the info.

Been trying to justify an iPad to myself, but I just can't get past the pricetag. The Nexus will make a fine little alternative at half the price!

Sure as eggs are eggs though, as soon as I buy one, one of two things (maybe both!) will happen.

Hurry up and buy it so i can take advantage of this Apple price drop so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Thanks for the info.

I'm sure I read that Apple plan to launch a budget tablet (iPad mini!?) in order to hit Android/Kindle etc.

FYI

Argos normally provide items on the website and instore (you can key in the item number on stock checkers) ahead of time, but its normal for the item to be out of stock. This is there as a place holder, and reserving will become available once a release date is confirmed, and stock is confirmed in the central distribution warehouse in the UK.

The same thing happended for the likes of the xbox, ps3 and wii. Most were only available a day before it went onto the shelves to reserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

I was out in the Crescent Shopping Center in Limerick this morning and I called into a few places and asked about the Nexus 7

CarPhoneWarehouse - no price and haven't heard anything about availability

Argos - €249.99 - Don't have them in stock and aren't expecting any until ...... well she said Saturday ...... but I am taking that to mean Monday .

HMV - €239.99 .... this price is the set price and he said it wouldn't change .... but ..... no stock until Monday he reckoned ....But he said definitely not tomorrow .

jonski wrote: »
    Argos - €249.99 - Don't have them in stock and aren't expecting any until ...... well she said Saturday ...... but I am taking that to mean Monday .

HMV - €239.99 .... this price is the set price and he said it wouldn't change .... but ..... no stock until Monday he reckoned ....But he said definitely not tomorrow .

That's why I'm glad I decided to go with my original pre-order from Currys. I didn't mind paying the extra (€10-€15) as at least it guaruntees a day one purchase without having to worry about queues or stock.

Still though a good price for HMV once they have the stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

That's why I'm glad I decided to go with my original pre-order from Currys. I didn't mind paying the extra (€10-€15) as at least it guaruntees a day one purchase without having to worry about queues or stock.

Still though a good price for HMV once they have the stock.

Currys will price match +10% if there is another B&M store within something like 3 miles that has stock

• Advertisement

Nolimits wrote: »
    Currys will price match +10% if there is another B&M store within something like 3 miles that has stock

Unfortunately I doubt that applies to online (pre)orders.

I probably should have ordered it for pickup but I wasn't going to be near any of the stores.

::EDIT:: I decided I may as well just ask them myself :D

::EDIT2:: As expected:
    Just instore. We don't price promise online on the basis that the service set up is different.

I'm happy enough to wait till Monday for HMV, I typically walk past Grafton St. branch just as they open in the morning, so quick detour to relieve Monday blues ;)

I'm happy enough to wait till Monday for HMV, I typically walk past Grafton St. branch just as they open in the morning, so quick detour to relieve Monday blues ;)
    Same here and have 272 store credit I need to use up in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Plus we get to let everyone else try out and set upthe best apps or Roms and report back to us before we buy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

If its any consolation, I`m in the US at the moment .No availability here either .
    Have google kept supply low to create a bit of hype .Just a thought .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

HMV for me first thing on Monday as well. I hope student discount works also for extra 10% off. possibly not.

chris85 wrote: »
    HMV for me first thing on Monday as well. I hope student discount works also for extra 10% off. possibly not.
    Spoke to hmv again this evening and guy reckoned due in their UK warehouse Friday so he reckons could be well into next week before they have it but sure we see...I'll check Friday and Monday again..

Spoke to hmv again this evening and guy reckoned due in their UK warehouse Friday so he reckons could be well into next week before they have it but sure we see...I'll check Friday and Monday again..

Cool if you can post and let us know would be sweet. Gonna ring around over the weekend and see if other HMVs are same.

Got one of these bad boys for my birthday yesterday. :) Haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

uOn6Gl.jpg

• Advertisement

My girlfriend lives in London and ordered it from Ebuyer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Snegg

Spoke to someone in Currys in Galway and he told me they would have them tomorrow, Thursday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Result, just picked up a 16 GB nexus for 240 in dixons, Dublin airport, 5 left if you can get them,

Box yet to be opened... had the thing 30mins ---- must be getting old as I am doing work first....

OK so no cover or case in Dixons. any suggestions from my fellow Board members?

07:13 - box open and WOW - what a clean slick device.

07:21 - prompted to install 4.1 firmware
    - Screen is amazing, popping out colour and details.
    HD video streaming off the wifi from my phone looks the business.

Google apps looking good. (Question, do Ryanair take a electronic boarding pass or paper only? - was going to use this to travel next week and would be handy to use for my Airport Genie pass and Boarding pass)

Not seen my free credit on Play store yet?
    Any know more on the google voice (Siri Like) stuff want to try that next.

Must admit i have had iPad1 and 2 and iPhone various - I am a lot more impresed with this out of the box that i was with the Apple stuff.. dont ask why but I just am...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

T1 or T2??

@Jet Black, T2 5 left but T1 also have some in stock

Play Store Credit.... anyone know how to activate this?

BrookieD wrote: »
    Result, just picked up a 16 GB nexus for 240 in dixons, Dublin airport, 5 left if you can get them,

Handy to know for anyone getting one from Currys this morning as you have store to compare to for the price promise and get your 10% off.
    OK so no cover or case in Dixons. any suggestions from my fellow Board members?.

Apparently Google will be realeasing 4 types of covers soon so I'm waiting to see what they bring out before getting one though I'm hoping to get one with a stand built in.

Not seen my free credit on Play store yet?
    Any know more on the google voice (Siri Like) stuff want to try that next.

The free credit on Play store seems to be confusing alot of people on how to activate it (think its through Google wallet) though not sure if we even get it here.
    To activate Google Now I think you (possible from home icon) swipe up from bottom which is the Siri question thing.

Thanks for the mini-review (well first impressions), can't wait to get my hands on mine later :D

I really want one later today. I dont know if it will happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Right no luck in T1. They checked and were unsure if they could sell it or something. They didn't have it on display and just brought it out to tease show me :-(

T2 on the other hand had out and I had no bother picking it up. Kept my head down passing back by the one in T1.

Thanks BrookieB. Just saved me €20 and a trip tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Just showed it to a guy in here with an iPad - was very impressed to the point of a possible change to Nexus 7 - size and video playback really got him... Tron HD trailer did the trick... ;-)

Advertisement