Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Will be heading to collect my pre-order from LIffey Valley at lunch. Thanks Declan! :) *Can't concentrate on work, delicious gadget awaits*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Couldnt make my way into HMV today.

anyone pop their head in to see if they are on sale in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I might just get one of these to go with it. http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Wi-Drive-Portable-WID-32GBZ/dp/B00576APEI/

Might look at a Nexus 7 for the kid for xmas.....

Cheers,

My Laser got frauded there last week so my accounts been locked, and was hoping it would unlock today but if release from HMV isnt till Monday that probably wont be a bad thing, other then missing out on the week to mess around.

• Advertisement

BrookieD wrote: »
    I might just get one of these to go with it. http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Wi-Drive-Portable-WID-32GBZ/dp/B00576APEI/

Might look at a Nexus 7 for the kid for xmas.....

Have portable HD's been confirmed to work without rooting?

I'm definitly never rooting again, after I swore I'd never again after the HTC Desire, I said ****it I'll try on the Samsung GS2, now my battery lasts less then 3 hours.

So definitly not even gonna consider rooting this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

TheDoc wrote: »

I'm definitly never rooting again, after I swore I'd never again after the HTC Desire, I said ****it I'll try on the Samsung GS2, now my battery lasts less then 3 hours.

That one is wifi. So no need to root. Just an app that will allow you to read the contents of the drive. Can connect it to several devices on the same network! It's a pretty slick solution actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

For that to work though you would still need an active wifi connection right?

I'll be definitely rooting my device (never had any issues including my GSII) and will just use a usb stick if I need extra space.

Lots of postive reports from people who went down that route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Couldnt make my way into HMV today.

anyone pop their head in to see if they are on sale in there?
    Phoned Grafton Street not in stock today but they more confident about Monday now. I'd buy elsewhere only I want to use the store credit I have there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

For that to work though you would still need an active wifi connection right?

I'll be definitely rooting my device (never had any issues including my GSII) and will just use a usb stick if I need extra space.

Lots of postive reports from people who went down that route.

Where would you get the Micro USB to USB Host cable? I don't think I've ever seen one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Where would you get the Micro USB to USB Host cable? I don't think I've ever seen one of those.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-OTG-2-0-Adapter/dp/B005QX7KYU/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

I had bought this one to test out something else http://www.dabs.ie/products/c2g-cablestogo-1m-usb-2-0-a-male-to-micro-usb-b-male-cable-801T.html?q=otg&src=16 as I was getting something else off them (its a male usb though I already had the other connection required - just not the mini usb)

GrumPy wrote: »
    Will be heading to collect my pre-order from LIffey Valley at lunch. Thanks Declan! :) *Can't concentrate on work, delicious gadget awaits*

Literally couldn't wait. Just back from Liffey Valley. Thanks Declan, was in and out in 3 minutes! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jealous, jealous, jealous...

Can people make short video reviews or unboxing or something?

Phoned Grafton Street not in stock today but they more confident about Monday now. I'd buy elsewhere only I want to use the store credit I have there

Good man yourself.

I'll hold of so, no impeeding rush.

Although wanted to suprise the misses with my old Xoom to give to her, might just give it to her anyway to build up the brownie points for the weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Rooting shouldn't affect your battery life though, should it? :confused:

A dodgy ROM might, but generally a good ROM will give you better battery, not worse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

dulpit wrote: »
    Can people make short video reviews or unboxing or something?

Unboxing the thing is not fun. Having unboxed an iPad recently (not mine), there is something to be said for Apple making the user experience easy and fluid from the start. Unboxing the Nexus is an exercise in patience as you try not to destroy the box to get at the thing :)

Very impressed with the Nexus itself with the few minutes I've got to play with it. Jelly Bean is great, very smooth, very cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Bacchus wrote: »
    Unboxing the thing is not fun. Having unboxed an iPad recently (not mine), there is something to be said for Apple making the user experience easy and fluid from the start. Unboxing the Nexus is an exercise in patience as you try not to destroy the box to get at the thing :)

Very impressed with the Nexus itself with the few minutes I've got to play with it. Jelly Bean is great, very smooth, very cool.

Unboxing was real easy. no idea what the complaints were about to be honest. :confused:Box has a sleeve, removed, sharp knife to cut the security tape, top of box slips off Nexus 7 shining in all its untouched clean glory..... :D

dulpit wrote: »
    Rooting shouldn't affect your battery life though, should it? :confused:

A dodgy ROM might, but generally a good ROM will give you better battery, not worse...

Actually not sure it was rooted, I used ODIN to get ICS stock rom for S2 since its not appearing as an update for me when others getting it.

Battery life being drained to bits, its an official ROM like, not rooted. Giving it another lash now.

BrookieD wrote: »
    Unboxing was real easy. no idea what the complaints were about to be honest. :confused:Box has a sleeve, removed, sharp knife to cut the security tape, top of box slips off Nexus 7 shining in all its untouched clean glory..... :D

When you compare to Apple, no it's not. The sleeve is way to tight around the box and is tricky to get a grip of to pull it off. The two pieces of tape are pain, why should I need to go get a knife to open this (again, when you compare to the ease of how Apple do it). With no knife to hand, I had to use my keys to hack away at the tape. After that though it's plain sailing :D

• Advertisement

Actually not sure it was rooted, I used ODIN to get ICS stock rom for S2 since its not appearing as an update for me when others getting it.

Battery life being drained to bits, its an official ROM like, not rooted. Giving it another lash now.

That's very strange.

My S2 is rooted (using ODIN if I rememeber correctly) on stock Vodafone ICS and while my battery isn't great it will still last the day or longer (i also use the free version of Easy Battery Saver).

That's why I have no worries with doing it on my N7 (over the weekend hopefully) especially since I won't be using any custom roms for a while. I want to see what stock Jelly Bean is like first anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

yiz are all bastards with your Nexuses :p - I have to wait for the courier who probably won't be coming until tomorrow :( joys of living miles from any form of real computer store

anyways for those of ye that have got it - money well spent??? haven't seen to many complaints so far so taking all is good.. no one has gotten any of the defective models that people have mentioned I take??

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    yiz are all bastards with your Nexuses :p - I have to wait for the courier who probably won't be coming until tomorrow :(

U jelly bean bro? :P

yiz are all bastards with your Nexuses :p - I have to wait for the courier who probably won't be coming until tomorrow :( joys of living miles from any form of real computer store

I'm in same boat as you... every now and again I refresh the order tracking page on the Currys website to see if it's gone yet. I'd better have this for the weekend ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

are tesco selling it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Cyrus wrote: »
    are tesco selling it?

Was thinking the same. They are in the UK. If some is passing a tesco would be great to know.

That's very strange.

My S2 is rooted (using ODIN if I rememeber correctly) on stock Vodafone ICS and while my battery isn't great it will still last the day or longer (i also use the free version of Easy Battery Saver).

That's why I have no worries with doing it on my N7 (over the weekend hopefully) especially since I won't be using any custom roms for a while. I want to see what stock Jelly Bean is like first anyway.

From my understanding ODIN isnt rooting, its actually the same **** Samsung use to load ROMs onto phones. According to XDA anyway.

I'm going through the process again, although now ODIN wont recognise my poxy phone, pain in the hole all this ****.

From now on, just buying Google phones, buying other manafacturers has been nothing but a pain when it comes to updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

From my understanding ODIN isnt rooting, its actually the same **** Samsung use to load ROMs onto phones. According to XDA anyway.

I'm going through the process again, although now ODIN wont recognise my poxy phone, pain in the hole all this ****.

From now on, just buying Google phones, buying other manafacturers has been nothing but a pain when it comes to updates

is it in download mode

• Advertisement

is it in download mode

Yeah, just going to run through reinstalling drivers again with kies and see if that picks up an upgrade.

I know to make sure kies services are off before running odin so will do all that jazz again.

So whats people impressions of the Nexus 7 who got to pick it up.

Wonder if there is many left in stores, might spin out to Airside tonight and see

anyways for those of ye that have got it - money well spent??? haven't seen to many complaints so far so taking all is good.. no one has gotten any of the defective models that people have mentioned I take??

I've only been sneaking 5 minutes with it here at there as I leave code compile (technically still working so :) ) and money well spent as far as I'm concerned. It's a great size, nice weight on it, fantastic screen and is just a really enjoyable user experience.

Yeah, just going to run through reinstalling drivers again with kies and see if that picks up an upgrade..

Wonder if there is many left in stores, might spin out to Airside tonight and see

Ah yeah i flashed the firmware with ODIN and then rooted :o

Saw on other PCWorld/Curry thread
    All stores use the same number that you can call to check stocks etc 1-890-400-001. I've tried that and was told that no stock was available in any store at the moment and I was her 6th call

are tesco selling it?
    ill pop in at lunch time but i doubt claremorris will have it.

anyone try harvey norman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone try harvey norman?

Rang Little Island in Cork this morning, and they reckoned they wouldn't be stocking them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I was going to wait till I got to the states next week but seeing as Best Buy USA don't seem to have anything about them while their Canadian site does I dropped into PC World in Galway none on display but after asking they got 2 in and are down to one now :). Not even opened the box yet. Do I wait till I get home from work or do I just waste some work time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

anyone know where I can buy one today in Dublin CC?

kayos wrote: »
    I was going to wait till I got to the states next week but seeing as Best Buy USA don't seem to have anything about them while their Canadian site does I dropped into PC World in Galway none on display but after asking they got 2 in and are down to one now :). Not even opened the box yet. Do I wait till I get home from work or do I just waste some work time...

Do you even need to ask. Pictures or GTFO! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well this is been written from the nexus 7 using my lumia 800 for a WiFi hot spot. So far happy I bought it and happy I didn't wait to get home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Toysrus

kingtiger wrote: »
    anyone know where I can buy one today in Dublin CC?
    According to Currrys in Blanch, there's 6-10 available in Jervis and Liffey Valley.
    Seeing as this was 45 mins ago, I reckon they'll be gone by now.
    He said they sold over 100 this morning and it'll be 5 weeks before they get new stock.
    Serves me right for not paying enough attention to this thread :mad:

Toysrus wrote: »
    According to Currrys in Blanch, there's 6-10 available in Jervis and Liffey Valley.
    Seeing as this was 45 mins ago, I reckon they'll be gone by now.
    He said they sold over 100 this morning and it'll be 5 weeks before they get new stock.
    Serves me right for not paying enough attention to this thread :mad:

Thats ****ing outragous

When will retailers understand that keeping low stock levels doesnt generate higher profits, it simply looses them business.

Will give a bell to Argos see if they have any new info

EDIT : Expecting to go on sale tomorrow according to member of staff I got on phone, possibly held off till tomorrow. Advised to check online tomorrow to see if reservations were available.

• Advertisement

Thats ****ing outragous

When will retailers understand that keeping low stock levels doesnt generate higher profits, it simply looses them business.

EDIT : Expecting to go on sale tomorrow according to member of staff I got on phone, possibly held off till tomorrow. Advised to check online tomorrow to see if reservations were available.

Go over the PC World (Currys) boards pages, online pre orders were taken on the website and then Declan (MD of PC World) was taking PM's direct to reserve stock after these online orders were reserved. Then the rest for public sale. He wishes he had more to sell but doesnt so maybe give them a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I just received a €250 gift voucher and want one if these. Argos is out of stock in Athlone. Are click selling em? Or anywhere else near here?

For people who might have missed this link

Loads of info on rooting, USB adapters etc... :)

Opened mine in work to take a peak, it's beautiful...
    I'll wait till I get home to bring her for a testdrive! *longest day ever*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Anyone know if the play store creit ($25 dollars) was a US only offer etc. Supposedly it goes on accounts when you activate a Nexus. Can't even find anywhere on play to see if you have credit or not. I'm guessing it may be down to the butchered play store we have in UK & Ireland.

wingnut wrote: »
    Anyone know if the play store creit ($25 dollars) was a US only offer etc. Supposedly it goes on accounts when you activate a Nexus. Can't even find anywhere on play to see if you have credit or not. I'm guessing it may be down to the butchered play store we have in UK & Ireland.

Hmmmm.... I hope it does work. I have a few paid apps in mind that would be very useful!

I just received a €250 gift voucher and want one if these. Argos is out of stock in Athlone. Are click selling em? Or anywhere else near here?

argos have been out of stock all week, so i guess they have not put them up yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

irishgeo wrote: »
    argos have been out of stock all week, so i guess they have not put them up yet.

The one in the store said they hope to have some in their warehouse by the 2nd August, but it may be some days after that before they have some back in the store :-(

The one in the store said they hope to have some in their warehouse by the 2nd August, but it may be some days after that before they have some back in the store :-(

That Long hence the 6th August date for home delivery?

Thats ****ing outragous

ill be checking at midnight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement