Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

Maybe hmv will come through tomorrow to..I'll pop in this evening on the way home to enquire
    irishgeo wrote: »
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Thats ****ing outragous

When will retailers understand that keeping low stock levels doesnt generate higher profits, it simply looses them business.

Will give a bell to Argos see if they have any new info

EDIT : Expecting to go on sale tomorrow according to member of staff I got on phone, possibly held off till tomorrow. Advised to check online tomorrow to see if reservations were available.

ill be checking at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TheCrimsonClown

Has anyone gotten their Play Store credit? I've added and a card and even bought something but no credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Has anyone gotten their Play Store credit? I've added and a card and even bought something but no credit.

Not showing for me and I went through the activation with my google account when I first booted up.
    I reckon it is not available in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Not showing for me and I went through the activation with my google account when I first booted up.
    I reckon it is not available in Ireland.

If that's the case, it's very disappointing. :( I believe the UK can access it, although it seems hit or miss based on a quick Google search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

GrumPy wrote: »
    If that's the case, it's very disappointing. :( I believe the UK can access it, although it seems hit or miss based on a quick Google search.

I'd say there will have to be some sort of workaround available or maybe we may get it later once they sort out the Play Store.

My pre-order has been dispatched :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

possibly depends where you bought it. im guessing ones destined for america and distributed to europe via store chains may have the credit then...
    we wait and see :)
    or maybe theres gonna be a trick with changing your google account location to us before syncing etc..
    think im gonna have to clock up 2 days overtime and get me one of these now just for the sake of it. still annoyed they dont have a hdmi or some other interface though ^^ (i believe the usb isnt mhl?)

kenyard wrote: »
    (i believe the usb isnt mhl?)

yeah unfortunately that has been confirmed and I don't think there will be a work around for that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Initial thoughts: Great tablet. Jellybean is a subtle but nice improvement over ICS. Compared to HTC Flyer or ipad 1/2 this is a pretty nifty device. Seems nice and fast and I'm happy with build and design.
    Can't fault the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Ian1986

For people who might have missed this link

Loads of info on rooting, USB adapters etc... :)

Opened mine in work to take a peak, it's beautiful...
    I'll wait till I get home to bring her for a testdrive! *longest day ever*

Has anyone gone a rooted there tablet straight away. I have never rooted a device before so wouldn't be very confident at doing it, but being able to access USB would be great as I am heading of traveling and having a stock of movies etc on a hard drive would make my life a hell of a lot easier.
    Do you think it's good idea for me to give it a go by following the numerous examples online? I could just restore it back to factory if it didn't work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ian1986 wrote: »
    Has anyone gone a rooted there tablet straight away. I have never rooted a device before so wouldn't be very confident at doing it, but being able to access USB would be great as I am heading of traveling and having a stock of movies etc on a hard drive would make my life a hell of a lot easier.
    Do you think it's good idea for me to give it a go by following the numerous examples online? I could just restore it back to factory if it didn't work out.

Rooting is very straightforward on an awful lot of devices. I can't comment on the tablet, but I've rooted a bunch of phones with absolutely no issues, just find a guide from a reputable source (e.g. Modaco: http://www.modaco.com/topic/355552-superboot-rooting-the-nexus-7/)

Rooting is a fairly easy process and it seems to be even easier for this. If you follow the instructions in link above or on XDA I can't see how you can go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

all things considered this is the main reason to root. which with a thumbdrive usb makes the tablet pretty decent now..
    Another user discovered that you can install a free app on a rooted Nexus 7 to enable support for USB flash drives and other storage devices. Out of the box, this isn’t something the Nexus 7 supports. If you have a rooted tablet, you can download the StickMount app from the Play Store to add support for external storage.

as for rooting, seems theres a one click method already...if you arent competent at it just get someone who is to do it

as for rooting, seems theres a one click method already...

Have ya a link handy for that? One click root would be handy!

as for rooting, seems theres a one click method already...

Have ya a link handy for that? One click root would be handy!

Yeah read that somewhere too. Think it was on the xda forums. Sorry on mobile at moment so can't confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Is this what you meant ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭irishgeo

email i got from Argos
    Subject: Catalogue Number 508/8917 - Google Nexus 7 ASUS Tablet

Thank you for your email regarding stock availability of the above item.

I can confirm that this item is due for release on Monday 6th August 2012. We can now accept pre-orders for the item to be delivered on the release date.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at order.enquiries@argos.co.uk or call us on 0845 640 2020.

Ste- wrote: »
    Is this what you meant ?

Yeah thanks that's the one I saw.

There is also another one that I'd I'll use here. It seems to have nice gui and looks fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just out of HMV swords. Price confirmed at 239 and also took a preorder with 10 euro deposit.

Kicker is they are getting them next Thursday according to the system .

Still.

Something to look forward too!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Ian1986

Picked up my new tablet just wanted to say thanks to declan PC world excellent job with the per orders very happy with my purchase.

• Advertisement

Have being playing with it last few hours. Really fast, posting from it at the moment. :-) Download swype, makes the onscreen keyboard almost fun to type on. :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Has anyone been to Tesco yet to check if they're stocking?
    very tempted to go for a drive to my 24hr one...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ir3land

Picked up my new tablet just wanted to say thanks to declan PC world excellent job with the per orders very happy with my purchase.

I waited an hour this morning(Jervis) for one of the N7's,for one of the 4-6 that Declan said would be available. I was 4th in the queue so I would recieve one. They had 2 available, yes, 2!! For one of the biggest retailers in the Dublin CC that is ridiculous. Thanks Declan, I know where I and my mates won't be shopping anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Ir3land wrote: »
    I waited an hour this morning(Jervis) for one of the N7's,for one of the 4-6 that Declan said would be available. I was 4th in the queue so I would recieve one. They had 2 available, yes, 2!! For one of the biggest retailers in the Dublin CC that is ridiculous. Thanks Declan, I know where I and my mates won't be shopping anymore.

He only dealt with preorders which most people seem to be happy with. He said there was very limited stock in stores and couldn't say how many were in each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭jonski

metalfest wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Tesco yet to check if they're stocking?
    very tempted to go for a drive to my 24hr one...

Just talking to a guy online there is Scotland and he was saying that Tescos over there were stocking them @ £170 today .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

jonski wrote: »
    Just talking to a guy online there is Scotland and he was saying that Tescos over there were stocking them @ £170 today .
    But no word on the Irish Tescos no?
    Get paid around 1:30 AM so must wait till then anyway...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭Soarer

You'd have been better off taking the time to register here and preorder through Declan, instead of doing it to moan after the fact!

Cyrus wrote: »
    are tesco selling it?

Not in Eire I'd say

Soarer wrote: »

You'd have been better off taking the time to register here and preorder through Declan, instead of doing it to moan after the fact!

Quote from Declan' there will be 4-6 in Jervis and 3 in Cork.' Also keep in mind many who have pre ordered have not received them yet. A shop as big as PcW in Jervis should have had more than 2. About 10 in queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Quote from Declan' there will be 4-6 in Jervis and 3 in Cork.' Also keep in mind many who have pre ordered have not received them yet. A shop as big as PcW in Jervis should have had more than 2. About 10 in queue.
    The pre-orders (online is it?) go out on Thursday, delivered Friday, for the most part-->as said in the other Thread.

Did you complain to Google for not making enough?
    Here's the status for tomorrow

Stock goes on sale at store opening times tomorrow morning. You can see those times on our websites.

All stock has been received for those who have pre-ordered online. Those orders will be processed first thing tomorrow morning and we expect to have them out of the webstore and in the courier's van by midday. That will normally guarantee next day delivery anywhere in the country. We obviously can't guarantee that but fingers crossed.

All stock has been received for those who reserved with me here. You know who you are.... That stock will also be available for collection from store opening times tomorrow. Stores have received an email from me with your names and this stock is held in the store secure cage until you come to collect. You have until close of business on Saturday to do so, at which point it will go on general sale. My one caveat is that this is a manual transfer process and I've tried to avoid making any error, so please don't shoot me if I have. It's been quite a number of pm's .

After pre-orders and pm's there will still be a little stock left over for general sale. But not a lot. Blanchardstown, Airside, PC World Carrickmines, Jervis and Liffey Valley will have 4 - 6 units each. So, if you really want one you'll need to be at these stores before opening time. We only have 3 units in our brand new Megastore in Cork, which is a disappointment.

Other stores in stock from tomorrow will be Currys Galway, PC World Galway, Currys Limerick, PC World Limerick, Currys Sligo, PC World Sligo, Currys Carlow, PC World Dundalk, PC World Tallaght. All of these stores will have 2-4 units.

More stock will arrive in due course but a lot of it has been collared by the pre-order people and the boardsies.

We'll not have the cases to start with and it is likely to be at least a week before we have these.

Hopefully that answers all the questions.
    I'd take from that, that their may not be 4-6 when all the counting was said and done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

If PC World were able to source them I can't imagine they wouldn't have stocked them - no other store in Ireland seems to have them at all for at least another couple of days so it looks like they were doing well to even get them at all this early...

What does it matter if people who pre ordered them didn't get them yet?? A lot of people on here said they will be in to collect them today or tomorrow, people have work commitments etc etc but the stock is there for them when they get a chance to collect them... now if people went in looking for pre orders and PC World hadn't them now that'd be a different story but I haven't heard of any stories like that so don't see how this point is relevant...

only again - PC World only got limited stock, it was allocated to online orders and reservations made here first and once most of the available stock was allocated to people Declan stopped taking pre orders and the online links to pre order disappeared... there was no question of people pre ordering units and then not getting them - all was controlled fairly and openly...

PC World handled it as well as they could have in my eyes - yes there may have been a few less products in store than Declan mentioned I'll give you that but we all knew stock was going to be very tight so I wouldn't make too much of an issue about it... if PC World could have sourced 50-100 units per store they would have and if it was that easy to get them over here HMV/Argos/etc etc would all have them in store today but there's obviously a small number available and hard to source so saying Jervis should have more is a poor argument... they would have stocked them if they could... why wouldn't they have like... if there was 50 in the store in Navan and only 2 in Jervis that once again would be a different story but there wasn't.. stock was tight everywhere... PC World spread the stock evenly enough among stores so I can't really fault them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

^^^Aye, what he said.:p

Everything I tried to write turned into an infraction worthy rant so one line ended up doing.:pac:

johnmcdnl wrote: »

If PC World were able to source them I can't imagine they wouldn't have stocked them - no other store in Ireland seems to have them at all for at least another couple of days so it looks like they were doing well to even get them at all this early...

What does it matter if people who pre ordered them didn't get them yet?? A lot of people on here said they will be in to collect them today or tomorrow, people have work commitments etc etc but the stock is there for them when they get a chance to collect them... now if people went in looking for pre orders and PC World hadn't them now that'd be a different story but I haven't heard of any stories like that so don't see how this point is relevant...

only again - PC World only got limited stock, it was allocated to online orders and reservations made here first and once most of the available stock was allocated to people Declan stopped taking pre orders and the online links to pre order disappeared... there was no question of people pre ordering units and then not getting them - all was controlled fairly and openly...

PC World handled it as well as they could have in my eyes - yes there may have been a few less products in store than Declan mentioned I'll give you that but we all knew stock was going to be very tight so I wouldn't make too much of an issue about it... if PC World could have sourced 50-100 units per store they would have and if it was that easy to get them over here HMV/Argos/etc etc would all have them in store today but there's obviously a small number available and hard to source so saying Jervis should have more is a poor argument... they would have stocked them if they could... why wouldn't they have like... if there was 50 in the store in Navan and only 2 in Jervis that once again would be a different story but there wasn't.. stock was tight everywhere... PC World spread the stock evenly enough among stores so I can't really fault them...

I just think there should have been more physically in store .( It would be interesting to hear the pre- order/physical ratio.Airside 2day said they sold 100preorders) A lot of other people I presume called in soon after opening with no luck. Most of their trade is done over the counter, of course they can do it whatever way they wish. More of a balance would have been nice. IMHO A lot of others also would not have seen these threads on boards . ie which I randomly stumbled on. Rant over, should get my mitts on one next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭wingnut

Any one get any joy with the play store credit?

Afaik it's a widget. From the preview vids I saw thats where it was stored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭wingnut

Fine tablet but they could have done better with the speakers. My Sony live with walkman phone is infinitely better an d that's a 159 Euro android with stereo speakers. Strange decision to put earphone socket at the bottom too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    yiz are all bastards with your Nexuses :p

Nexi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Has anybody tried to read a comic on this yet? Is it too small for this purpose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Did you complain to Google for not making enough?

Google have made plenty, appears Currys/Pc World just couldnt source enough, or employing the hold back strategy.

I could see the screen in HMV yesterday as the girl was putting through my pre order and there was no indication of unit limits or anything, plentyful there.

I'd say for anyone stuck its probs the best shout.

Confirmed at €239 and in stock Thursday, they will call you if they are shifting them earlier. And its in the system for pre order so no reason why any of the stores will say they arnt taking pre orders,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

jonski wrote: »
    Just checked on Tesco.co.uk and they are showing them priced at £199 + £3 delivery.

Has anyone else seen them in store in the UK for £170?

[edit] just googled and there is a £20 discount code for new customers which brings the price down to £179.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

Is the nexus 7 price 199$???
    and is it Google nexus or galaxy nexus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Is the nexus 7 price 199$???
    and is it Google nexus or galaxy nexus?

The Nexus 7 8GB version is 199dollars (ex. TAX), the 16GB Version is 249dollars (ex. TAX). Add on US State Tax and the additional Tax for electronic here in Ireland and it's about the same price after currency conversion.

The 8GB won't be selling in any retail units and will only be available in Google Play stores (which afaik is only US/UK)

Please remember that ALL prices for US products are ALWAYS without TAX and you need to add at least 10% for Sales tax and to make it equal to ireland's tax system, add another 13% on top of that (so 23% total) and that's a much fairer comparison.

Using the above 16GB example, 249dollars, + 23% = 306dollars - coverted using current exchange rate of 1.22 = 249.74euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

CL7 wrote: »
    Has anybody tried to read a comic on this yet? Is it too small for this purpose?

Wondering this also, considering getting one of this for this purpose (and general tablet awesomeness)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

maximoose wrote: »
    Wondering this also, considering getting one of this for this purpose (and general tablet awesomeness)

I have been and find it prefect for me. The screen is so crisp and everything is clear on it. Always annoyed me on my iPad 2 cause it was just that bit pixelated.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

The Nexus 7 8GB version is 199dollars (ex. TAX), the 16GB Version is 249dollars (ex. TAX). Add on US State Tax and the additional Tax for electronic here in Ireland and it's about the same price after currency conversion.

The 8GB won't be selling in any retail units and will only be available in Google Play stores (which afaik is only US/UK)

Please remember that ALL prices for US products are ALWAYS without TAX and you need to add at least 10% for Sales tax and to make it equal to ireland's tax system, add another 13% on top of that (so 23% total) and that's a much fairer comparison.

Using the above 16GB example, 249dollars, + 23% = 306dollars - coverted using current exchange rate of 1.22 = 249.74euro.
    that's great!! thank you so much

• Advertisement
Advertisement