Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Nexus 7 = google android tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

CL7 wrote: »
    Has anybody tried to read a comic on this yet? Is it too small for this purpose?

There was a segment on this on the All abuot Android podcast two shows ago. Basically all 7 inch will be small but there are ways around it by zooming in or using software that displays one panel at a time. BUT if you want the traditional view of a comic then the larger tablets are better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

touts wrote: »
    There was a segment on this on the All abuot Android podcast two shows ago. Basically all 7 inch will be small but there are ways around it by zooming in or using software that displays one panel at a time. BUT if you want the traditional view of a comic then the larger tablets are better.

I was literally about to say the same thing...

All about Android show where it's discussed: http://twit.tv/show/all-about-android/67

And here's the actual answer on it from Ron Richards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7fZaffpq4s&t=8s&noredirect=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

TheDoc wrote: »
    Google have made plenty, appears Currys/Pc World just couldnt source enough, or employing the hold back strategy.

I could see the screen in HMV yesterday as the girl was putting through my pre order and there was no indication of unit limits or anything, plentyful there.

I'd say for anyone stuck its probs the best shout.

Confirmed at €239 and in stock Thursday, they will call you if they are shifting them earlier. And its in the system for pre order so no reason why any of the stores will say they arnt taking pre orders,

I just rang HMV Grafton Street and was told they weren't taking any more preorders at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Any indication where I could pickup a case from a walk in store?

Preferably not costing the bollox of me either

I just rang HMV Grafton Street and was told they weren't taking any more preorders at this point.

ok well thats one scenario I guess, if their allocation is gone :D

Did they mention anything about release date ? Still seeing people mention how they are popping into HMV today to pick theirs up, and I'm curios

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

ok well thats one scenario I guess, if their allocation is gone :D

Did they mention anything about release date ? Still seeing people mention how they are popping into HMV today to pick theirs up, and I'm curios

They said they won't be available till next week. No exact day given.

Edit: just rang HMV Dundrum and was told they hadn't been taking preorders as they don't know how many they are getting in but he said the release date on the system is 26th July

Edit: just rang HMV Dundrum and was told they hadn't been taking preorders as they don't know how many they are getting in but he said the release date on the system is 26th July

Yeah confirms what Swords told me, just saw people on Facebook posting how they were popping down to pick theirs up, probably going off some incorrect information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Yeah that's obviously the next purchase. I'm holding off to see what Google officially unveil (meant to be 4 different variations) so hopefully something will appear in next week.

HMV and Argos seem to be giving random dates so far from reading this thread so really hard to tell when it will be out and how many they will get in.

Hopefully delivery man is on his way with mine now and then only have to get through stupidly long day of work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

What is the recommended charging guidelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Received my two this morning from Currys/PC World

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Tripp wrote: »
    Received my two this morning from Currys/PC World

Can I have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Warmzie

annyone know a site were one could pre-order one right now that takes laser cards? Or a shop in Blanchardstown that takes pre-orders in the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

Danger781 wrote: »
    What is the recommended charging guidelines?
    You can check on the manual given with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

You can check on the manual given with that.

Ah right, sound :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

tesco got back to me

On sale July 29th but only in shops with electrical desks what ever that means?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Its prob been answered a hundred times, I am reading back threw the thread as we speak so advancded apology.
    But Is there any store that has stock today/this weekend that I can pick one of these up in, i want to give it as a pressy next week and be perfect price range for it. Im in dublin and can get to any store north/south side easily, id like to avoid town though, tks alot :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

irishgeo wrote: »
    tesco got back to me

It means that if your tesco doesn't already stock electrical goods like laptops, hard drives, nintendos or xboxes it won't be stocking the N7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

A press release from Google explaining the reason for the limited stock, and when we can expect them to be back in the shops would be extremely beneficial!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Mactard wrote: »
    It means that if your tesco doesn't already stock electrical goods like laptops, hard drives, nintendos or xboxes it won't be stocking the N7.

might get one in sligo on my way back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

First homepage set up added -
    Wallpaper is live and looks great on the display.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Yeah, if anyone knows a bricks & mortar shop I could buy a cover in, it would be great. Worried I'll scratch it to shíte if I don't get one soon!

I'd love a magnetic-ey one, but any will do to protect it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

BrookieD wrote: »
    First homepage set up added -
    Wallpaper is live and looks great on the display.

Shiny.

Needs moar apps though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

GrumPy wrote: »
    Yeah, if anyone knows a bricks & mortar shop I could buy a cover in, it would be great. Worried I'll scratch it to shíte if I don't get one soon!

I'm using one of these I had for the Flyer. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HI3S3Q/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01
    It'll keep it safe when not in use until I pick up one of the official cases. I'm hoping Otterbox release one.

dulpit wrote: »
    Shiny.

Needs moar apps though...

trying to think what would be good on it.... getting game emulators, and roms, pair up a PS3 for control..

any other apps that might be good????

On a seperate nite, i LOVE the default notifcation sound.. real star trekkie ;-)

Google plus has a ton of videos on one you can get from ebay for a fiver and with a bit of work is perfect, but ill hold off and see what comes out throughout the next few days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

BlueputDroid

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Just bought one pc world sligo, think they have one left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

irishgeo wrote: »
    tesco got back to me

Did they say what prices for the 16gb?

I'm using one of these I had for the Flyer. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HI3S3Q/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01
    It'll keep it safe when not in use until I pick up one of the official cases. I'm hoping Otterbox release one.

This is the one I want (magnetic covers and stand my requirements!) but Amazon doesn't seem to want to ship to me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

vicwatson wrote: »
    Did they say what prices for the 8gb and 16gb?

no retailer will be selling the 8gb

• Advertisement

This is the one I want (magnetic covers and stand my requirements!) but Amazon doesn't seem to want to ship to me :(

Tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Use Parcel Motel, new website. There is a thread about it over in bargain alerts. Basically if site only delivers to Uk address then this will work. Item gets sent to their UK address and they ship to parcel motel locations they have set up around the place. One around the corner from me. Also free credit initially which may help your decision.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79681158

www.parcelmotel.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

It's a good job only people around Dublin use the internet! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Soarer wrote: »
    It's a good job only people around Dublin use the internet! :rolleyes:

What is this internet thing you speak of? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Just ordered a case from amazon.co.uk. Just before I read that post about parcelmotel. :rolleyes: I forgot amazon don't historically like shipping "electrical goods" to Ireland.

I'll wait and see, I expect an email shortly telling me to feck off back to my spuds and stop trying to get cool swag shipped to my farm. :P

Ordered this one!

Now we are cooking on gas.... Just got Flash video working on the Nexus 7.... un fupping real..... :-)

Confirmed and tested on BBC desktop site through Firefox...... now to checked Filmon

EDIT: Filmon also working........ YES :-)

Non Rooted device,
    Installed Adobe flash
    Installed Firefox Aurora,
    when done installed phony addon - set to desktop mode.

PM me for APKs if you like.
    :-)

Ordered this one!

Nice!

In truth I only got as far as the shipping page before they told me to Feck off! Might have better luck of UK site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

BrookieD wrote: »
    Now we are cooking on gas.... Just got Flash video working on the Nexus 7.... un fupping real..... :-)

Confirmed and tested on BBC desktop site through Firefox...... now to checked Filmon

EDIT: Filmon also working........ YES :-)

I'm becoming less and less happy with your smugness.
    I want one, now!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Just ordered a case from amazon.co.uk. Just before I read that post about parcelmotel. :rolleyes: I forgot amazon don't historically like shipping "electrical goods" to Ireland.

I'll wait and see, I expect an email shortly telling me to feck off back to my spuds and stop trying to get cool swag shipped to my farm. :P

If Amazon didn't stop you at the address stage then there will be no problem.

DeadParrot wrote: »
    I'm becoming less and less happy with your smugness.
    I want one, now!

Sorry matey, just stoked that is working... full screen flash video..... :D

• Advertisement

Ordered this one!

That is all done away with now.

Sure I ordered an Xbox 360 with loads of games there last year and most recently got some PC components for my father

You will be fine :)

I'm browsing through cases myself there ( have some credit ) not sure what to go for ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

vicwatson wrote: »

lol @ people voiding their warranties with self fixes.

Its not even a day old, bring it back to the shop for a replacement if its wonky : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

If you have screen issues just microwave your tablet and you'll get a replacement within hours.

You should post a thread stating it blew up itself so your claim seems legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Matt_Teddy

Here's Google's own cover for the Nexus 7.

I think I like the look of it, although it looks very rubbery in the image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Chet T16 wrote: »
    If you have screen issues just microwave your tablet and you'll get a replacement within hours.

You should post a thread stating it blew up itself so your claim seems legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

guys, dont have the heart to trawl through a lot of pages:

any luck with anyone reading a comic page in portrait on the nexus 7? ideally 10 inch screen are best, but im wondering with this one, what with the high resolution.

thanks for trying.

comicrack is a really good app if need to try..

All about Android show where it's discussed: http://twit.tv/show/all-about-android/67

And here's the actual answer on it from Ron Richards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7fZaffpq4s&t=8s&noredirect=1

This should answer your question about the comics.

My first post from my Nexus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hmv phoned me earlier to say they hope to have my pre order in store Wednesday. My case arrived today from eBay.only 9.99 from Irish based seller. Will do the job till something sexier comes out

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=290744648221

This should answer your question about the comics.

My first post from my Nexus :)

• Advertisement

My case arrived today from eBay.only 9.99 from Irish based seller. Will do the job till something sexier comes out

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=290744648221

What's that case like? Bulky? Looks quite nice and has magnetic cover/stand plus advantage of seller being in Ireland.

Also just unlocked/rooted mine... fairly easy process using the Toolkit.
    If your going to do it, do it early as you have to reset back to factory setting so you will lose apps etc (there is a backup option included in the toolkit though for your apps). Have it backed up now with CWM as well just in case :)

Advertisement