Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it normal for people to lose the head?

• 27-06-2012 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just a part of someones personality to just lose it out of nowhere from time to time with no control. Or do people believe it can always be controlled?
    (Sorry for a badly worded thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

If you are Irish born repressing all emotions comes naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Fuck off back under the stone you crawled out from under!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 22 xL

I don't know if I can say whether it's normal or not, but it is natural. As is everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I've been decapitated on a few occasions. Incapacitated on more than a few occasions :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 TheGiantOnion

If you are Irish Definitely its GENETIC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It depends on the person and the situation.

We all have a point we reach where we can't avoid losing control, but it varies from person. It takes a lot for me to lose my head, like a misplaced apostrophe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

So if a person gets really pissed off easily and shouts ect, people just have to accept that this person can't help it. Would that be fair to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's more normal to repress all emotions, let them destroy you and become a raging alcoholic before you are 35

Tis the Irish way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

it depends on the situation teddy, what are they shouting and losing it over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

startin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

So if a person gets really pissed off easily and shouts ect, people just have to accept that this person can't help it. Would that be fair to say?

No, losing the head doesn't necessarily make them uncontrollable or impossible to influence. If someone looks like they might get violent, for example, I think people ought to try to calm them down or restrain them in some way, unless there's a great danger to themselves in doing so.

Cruising for a brusin Teddy
    Yapping for a smackin
    Clapping for a slapping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

it depends on the situation teddy, what are they shouting and losing it over?
    Just irritating people who try to antagonize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I used to lose my head a fair bit even twelve months ago. I think for those that do lose it, it's probably far better to learn different ways to manage the stress rather than potentially damaging relationships. So, yes it is normal but better to rise above it if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I've lost the head on occasion, but it's been at a time where I've been stressed. I'm fairly laid back so it wouldn't be a regular occurrence.

However if I had someone in my life who acted like how you described above then they wouldn't be in my life for long. IMO somebody constantly getting in a temper and shouting has issues. And I would not tolerate being shouted at in any aspect of my life.

So no, it is most definitely not acceptable. And yes, they can control it. They need to learn about anger management and self control, and about having respect for people. If none of that works, then they should consider medication to calm them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

No repression here, I tend to tell people exactly what I think of them, good and bad. Want to patronise or belittle, go right ahead, it won't end well. Want to be nice, so will I. Most of the lads I work with wince when we meet a narky individual, as I will be double narky back and I do a really good narky. On the flip, I'm really nice to nice people, they can happily have the shirt off my back. It's nice to be nice, so be nice. If you want to not be nice, that's fine too. I take a deep pleasure in showing cnuts that there's always a bigger cnut out there for you to meet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Sometimes its better not to keep it in..But ya losing it over small stuff is never good,although losing over people who antagonize it could easily happen to anybody really,but think of why you lose it..for example when im stressed or upset about something else in the background of my life,i find i lose my cool more easily..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Do you mean getting angry ?

There is a myth that anger somehow "takes over" someone , and causes them to do things.

I'd guess thats actually very very rare , and most people use "I lost the head" as an excuse for things they did when in full control of their actions.

Act like a doormat and that's how you'll be treated
    You think you are nice, they think you are weak

Putting someone in their place in the office is necessary now and again
    Let it all out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Is it better to lose the head or to bottle it up? I think a 'hulk out' is needed some times but like most Irish people (from what i've seen) would rather bottle it up...or seek the bottle and let loose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

buy a punch bag.... its great for releasing the frustration when your angry

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its good to explode sometimes, to swear at the top of your lungs and break up furniture (providing its your own). Its not good if your eruption of rage causes harm to innocent third parties.

I worry about people who never lose the rag, you shouldn't pent up your anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

In the past, when I got the red mist, my first reaction would be to issue forth a smack in the gob. I wrecked a fair few pubs and nightclubs and I got arrested many times. If someone cut me up in the car, off I'd go and usually a row would ensue. I came home many a night to the blue lights flashing outside the house, waiting for me. The novelty of that tends to wear off when kids come along and the missus also calmed me down an awful lot. I now tend to go verbal, I still have a short fuse but I don't resort to the fists much. I grew up in a very poor area, fairly rough enough, and fists tended to be the answer to most issues, that or knives, which I seldom left home without. Avoid road rage, you never know who you are giving the finger to.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Cruising for a brusin Teddy
    Yapping for a smackin
    Clapping for a slapping
    Waitin' for a baitin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I think that 99% of the time we can stop and control ourselves.. But that 1% crops up from time to time and we just let go :p

its normal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Its good to explode sometimes, to swear at the top of your lungs and break up furniture (providing its your own). Its not good if your eruption of rage causes harm to innocent third parties.

I worry about people who never lose the rag, you shouldn't pent up your anger.

Research shows that it's a myth that acting violently is a good release. Instead it creates a psychological association between violent behavior and reward, or so I read.
    InReality wrote: »
    Do you mean getting angry ?

There is a myth that anger somehow "takes over" someone , and causes them to do things.

I'd guess thats actually very very rare , and most people use "I lost the head" as an excuse for things they did when in full control of their actions.

You're claiming that anger isn't a real thing. Seriously? You don't think that anger impairs judgement? You don't think it's a strong emotion? I'm sure it's used as an excuse too, I won't argue there, but really, anger is a myth now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

There's different way's of channeling your anger, for some its exploding like shouting and screaming, violence etc, others its more passively angry like ignoring,sulking, bullying, procastinating,mistreating, being miserable or self-defeating. Anger stems from, rightly or wrongly, someone blaming the actions of another person/entity for their problems or frustrations. If someone is excessively angry, either aggressively or passively, they may need to see a counsellor or take anger management classes to control the problem and get to the route of their anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Shryke wrote: »
    Research shows that it's a myth that acting violently is a good release. Instead it creates a psychological association between violent behavior and reward, or so I read.

i'm not violent, but a punch bag saves on replacing household furniture and appliances ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Is it just a part of someones personality to just lose it out of nowhere from time to time with no control. Or do people believe it can always be controlled?
    (Sorry for a badly worded thread)

Oh fuck. Teddy, what have you done?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Shryke wrote: »

i'm not violent, but a punch bag saves on replacing household furniture and appliances ;)

Ha ha. I don't smash stuff up myself. Do what you have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

It depends on the person and the situation.

We all have a point we reach where we can't avoid losing control, but it varies from person. It takes a lot for me to lose my head, like a misplaced apostrophe.

Oh they piss me off no end Moo too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

That increases agression in order to control it your better of looking at a fixed object and finding words to describe it ....

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Not unless provoked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

No, not normal. Fatal. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Though we like to think otherwise, we are all capable of controlling our responses and our behaviours. It's a question of training and determination.

Of course, just as a weightlifter has limits, there can be times when the effort to control your emotions is so great that it makes more sense to release them. For example I don't get angry too easily with people giving me grief, but I would be more likely to "lose the head" if somebody were to threaten one of my kids.

People who are not reprimanded effectively for losing the head when they should not have done so will often go on to repeat this behaviour . . . . because it works for them. A good parent will not allow their child to lose the head regularly without some consequence, as other wise the child quickly becomes the kind of monster only Supernanny can deal with.

Z

• Advertisement
Advertisement